The Grand Unified Top Gear Australia Audition Video Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to jump to conclusions there 'undies.

All the people he mentioned are just speculation. And snowman's friends who made it past stage one were from Melbourne.

I would have liked to get in, it would have spared me from finishing this engineering degree. I was somewhat hampered by a mysteriously absent video camera which appeared the night before i had to send it off. I got to bed at 5am, and despite my best efforts of having every light turned on me it was still too dark, but at least i tried my best (and probably made someone laugh, at me or with me... i'll take whatever i can get!). I would have regretted never applying...

I left my favourite analogy out of the final cut, and i instantly wished i had included it! "... the Caparo T1 is simply on another level! It's veyron fast on the straights, but the tiny weight and massive aerodynamics means it grips like a Rottweiler to a toddler!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA73LPdnuo4

Last edited:
I dunno if I'm perhaps stepping on mods toes here or whatever, but I've counted at least 3 threads with TGA Audition videos in them. I thought "why not put all the videos together, from both FG members and non-FG members and see what's what?". So I did. Enjoy!

First up: scotth_uk's very slick production. Nicely delivered with some tasty hardware. Without wanting to piss into Scott's pocket, this is definitely one of the better efforts on YouTube right now.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjAGTnqH8dM[/YOUTUBE]

If there are any other FG members who have videos on YouTube - link them here! Better yet, if there are FG members that made TGA audition videos that have *NOT* put them on YouTube yet, PUT THEM UP! We wanna see 'em! :D

This man is clued up. No nonsense, no um.. er.. umm.. ah.. well... Just straight to the point, and easy to listen to. A TopGear Aussie presenter in the making!:D

Nice cars, big production value, but he can't write. Presenter for The Car Show? :p

One of the most highest performing supercars?!

The appeal comes from the way he managed to rustle up two nice cars and helicopter, but i wouldn't want him to be hosting Top Gear unless someone else took care of what he said. Basically, he's any chump when you take the neat props away.

Your chance to buy a piece of dodgy TGA memorabilia (i.e. the Astra from my TGA audition) is coming very soon. I?ll be dropping it off at Pickles Auctions in Adelaide this afternoon, although it will more than likely be in the auction on Monday week (12/5). Will post an update once the Astra is on Pickles? site. :D

i think my problem was that i made mine into a 'Late Show' Sketch, so 30 second gags, move along. Was lacking a bit of real depth. Plus im 20, so i knew it was going to be an uphill battle. Plus i went nude, nobody should have to be subjected to that.
On other news, the mate of mine who owns the 121 i did i it on (its not mine! GASP) traded it in the other day........... got $200 for it.

I thought Brian Gillet was alright, he gave it a decent crack. But what pissed me off were all the half arsed attempts of someone infront on the camera 'My name is 'X' cars are good, they go fast', rubbish like that. I really commend everyone who had a go, but i can only wonder what they were thinking when they posted in their crap entries, and what Freehand thought when they watched them.

I should have my video up from the press day at the Melbourne Motorshow up soon, In Pit Lane on Channel 31 is starting up again for 2008 so if you live in Melbourne check it out. So now we just wait for Channel 7 to announce 'Australian Fifth Gear'....... you heard it hear first

i really enjoyed your video, you have a good personality on camera. plus you made me laugh!

Top Gear really is entertainment driven (pun!), so it was the right thing to do (except the gag-inducing top gear magazine plug... but you were aware of that).

It couldn't have hurt to be a little more opinionated though, show a little passion for/against something. If you don't stand for something, you don't attract anyone. It's better to split the population than not to have any effect at all. The humor was good, it just needed some foundation. :)

I wouldn't let missing out on TG stop you though. The internet is a very powerful medium these days, and if morons can create celebrity out of blogging (perez hilton, wtf is with that guy?!), then the people can rise up and make their own damned Australian car show!

Top Gear Underground, who's with me?!

Here it is!

The very same Astra that incurred my wrath in that controversial TGA audition tape that sparked a hostile reaction from both Holden and Opel fanboys alike. I?d love to say that the reason the spare key is missing is because it dissolved into a powdery mass of low grade Eastern European plastic and metal, but the real reason the spare key is missing is because Muggins here forgot to leave it with the car when he took it to Pickles. :eek: I expect to get the spare key out there sometime tomorrow, hopefully I?ll have my Mazda2 by then, too. ;)

Hi all, newbie here. Better late than never, so they say. Have you checked Youtube again recently. I'm female, so I'll reserve judgement on this audition BUT as a seasoned (read - old) car user and enthusiast, the words OMG come to mind. Brave girl!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgBOaCDmrY[/youtube]

Yes I had sent my audition vid to Freehand and received the Don't Call Us standard letter. Somewhere back on an earlier page someone mentioed that SBS had a $10m budget, I have read elsewhere that that is what they paid for rights to the show only.

Last edited by a moderator:
as a seasoned (read - old) car user and enthusiast, the words OMG come to mind. Brave girl!

And the winner of the 'most number of pointlessly convoluted transitions in a TGA audition video is ...'.

... and welcome to FG, Esme. Are you sure you're not the girl in the vid? :lol:

Alas in the rest of the vid I come across (I mean that in the nicest posible way) as a middle aged mum. :cry:

Assuming that's actually you driving, I'm impressed. I dunno too many middle aged mums that can drive like that. ;) I take it you were applying for the Aussie Stig job, then? :lol:

Yes that's me driving.:D It was my first attempt at a motorkhana in anything bigger than a Sprite. Driving like that is a great help at the shops around Christmas time.:cool:

I didn't apply for the Stig possie. I know much better drivers than myself who applied for that job. Maybe there's hope for a "My mum can drive better than that" or "Take on our Tea Lady" segment in the Aus TG :lol: :lol:

Looks like some poor bastard (or bitch, could be a lady?) has bought the Astra. Whether it was a private buyer or a trade buyer I don?t know. I?m just keeping an eye on Astras for sale at car dealers around Adelaide to see if it resurfaces in the near future.

If whoever bought the Astra reads this message (say, if they were to google up ?Astra SA registration XJH400? and this was the first hit), send me a PM. I have a present for you?

Ouch - such harsh comments! :) I expected worst to be honest. It's a poor effort with nice toys and cameras.

I'll be the first to say that nothing was 'written' before filming. Most of what was said was written on a single piece of paper in point form, and was noted during breakfast on the day. I didn't even realise that I had the chopper until the very day.....

I'm more than happy with the outcome, never really thinking that it was going to be taken seriously. It's still the most viewed of the clips on youtube, which is a great result for a day of pissing around with my mates.

I'm more than happy with the outcome, never really thinking that it was going to be taken seriously. It's still the most viewed of the clips on youtube, which is a great result for a day of pissing around with my mates.

That's how I feel about my vid. In hindsight, it appears I'd not so much made a TGA audition video as a pisstake of a TGA audition video. And yeah, 5,000+ views and loads of abuse from Astra fanboys is more than I could have ever dreamed of. ;)

I'm in the (very) early stages of working on my next video. Not for prizes or anything like that ... moreso just for a laugh. I've written a very broad script for my review of the Mazda2. I think next time, I'll rope in a couple of mates and make an attempt at taking some more driving footage, preferably with a chase car. I'd like to get it done by Christmas '08, so I can release it as a Christmas present to all my fans. ;)

Speaking of the Astra ... it's since moved on. It's now sitting at a Holden dealer in Adelaide's northern suburbs, just down the road from the Holden factory, oddly enough. And, thanks to the FG spam filter, I can't link directly to the car in question. But if you look up used Astras on their site, you'll find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.