The great FG postcard swap!

I purchased a new postcard while in Cumbria with Andeh at the weekend.

First person to PM me their address gets it.

EDIT: PM received from calvinhobbes and card went in the mail this morning. I suggest we keep this moving a bit like the Viper only simpler - next person to receive the card buys one and one ready to send posts that they are ready and first person to PM their address becomes the next on the list.

Also (finally) here's a photo of the card I got from Redliner.....

Last edited:
Actually it's just occurred to me we don't just need to have one single chain. Go somewhere, buy a postcard and request an address in the thread for someone else willing to do the same. We could and should have multiple postcards in transit at any one time.

Hold on. Before we start I want to try to get some sort of exchange database going (not of address). Maybe Just plotting from>to straight lines on a map and recording distances.

Well it started quite a while ago - you'd need to ask Redliner who he sent to and received from first. People buy postcards and send them to random other people? As long as nobody Bogarts the idea and keeps jumping the queue it should go just fine. We can always start a Google Doc to update and track the line that way but the whole mapping thing?

:think: It could end up like one of those maps of aircraft routes which look quite cool......... :cool:

Actually it's just occurred to me we don't just need to have one single chain. Go somewhere, buy a postcard and request an address in the thread for someone else willing to do the same. We could and should have multiple postcards in transit at any one time.

Of course not!
The whole idea is that: get people sending each other postcards!

Hold on. Before we start I want to try to get some sort of exchange database going (not of address). Maybe Just plotting from>to straight lines on a map and recording distances.

Well it started quite a while ago - you'd need to ask Redliner who he sent to and received from first. People buy postcards and send them to random other people? As long as nobody Bogarts the idea and keeps jumping the queue it should go just fine. We can always start a Google Doc to update and track the line that way but the whole mapping thing?

:think: It could end up like one of those maps of aircraft routes which look quite cool......... :cool:

I can give you that info, if you want, CrzRsn.
Sounds like a nice idea.

Well since I have no idea how to create something like that on Google Maps I guess it's over to CrzRsn. Well volunteered that man!

I'm in. I'd like it to look like this (pulled off my profile on www.postcrossing.com)

rwFJ4tk.png

Except it would crazier since it wouldn't be all going to/from the same person.

I think the best way to get this started is for Redliner (and anyone else whos already sent cards) to send me a list of from (town,country) and to (town,country) and I'll plot them. Then going forward people can either post that here or PM me.

Last edited:
I think the best way to get this started is for Redliner (and anyone else whos already sent cards) to send me a list of from (town,country) and to (town,country) and I'll plot them. Then going forward people can either post that here or PM me.

Will do!

The spousal unit and I got this postcard from Redliner (Porto Alegre, Brazil to Salt Lake City, USA): :)

pYwbVcJ.jpg

Ohhh, me too, yours had a stamp across the adress and I couldn't decipher your adress on the card i got, and forgot to ask for it.

Ohhh, me too, yours had a stamp across the address and I couldn't decipher your address on the card i got, and forgot to ask for it.

:lol:

Well, I guess by now its certain that the card to me is never gonna make it.. but hey, I got the actual Redliner instead already :p

Well, I guess by now its certain that the card to me is never gonna make it.. but hey, I got the actual Redliner instead already :p

Which is not much better, let's be honest here. :p :lol:

Seriously: I am annoyed by how many got lost. I sent 27 and I think about half made it to the destination.

I received one from Redliner, and sent one back.
I sent one to thomas (which made it), but the one to Ice didn't, or at least he didn't acknowledge it.

Yeah, I first thought yours was Redliners, but I quickly noticed the slight mismatch in photographic evidence and name on there ;)

I was in Helsinki when Redliner's arrived.
I had the week before, sent one from Finland to a friend of my mum's, so I was slightly confused when I got a text from mum saying "Your postcard from Brazil arrived today".

Postcard to calvinhobbes was returned this morning. Deutsche Post stamped impression with a box crossed against the following, not all of which is legible hence the blank bits:

____anger/Firma unter der
___egebenen Anschrift
nicht zu ermitteln.

Dafuq?

"Undeliverable, recipient not found at this address." Unless you made some sort of mistake copying the address I gave you, it's a lie... I guess they simply don't have a stamp that says "We've been on strike for three weeks and postcards are going to be the first things to be returned." Which is nice because the post office lying about the reasons for returning mail can't possibly have any kind of negative consequences for the recipient. :mad:

Ah yes, couldn't find anyone (by that name) at the target address, idiots :mad: they just screwed up and are trying to cover their tracks...

How Brazilian of them. :|