The Gun thread

^ Reminds me of when I went to Marine Week in Cleveland. If the name doesn't give it away, the Marine Corps sets up in Cleveland (next to the football stadium) with a bunch of examples of their equipment. They'll bring tanks, APCs, helicopters, etc, including a tent full of all (or at least most) of their gunnery equipment for people to handle. As you may imagine, there are a lot of dads bringing their kids, which you'll promptly see [trying] to handle the guns and even sitting at the .50cals as seen above.

It's actually quite educational. I knew that .50cal rifles were heavy, but 30lbs feels a lot heavier than it sounds, especially when it's distributed across ~4ft.

^ Reminds me of when I went to Marine Week in Cleveland. If the name doesn't give it away, the Marine Corps sets up in Cleveland (next to the football stadium) with a bunch of examples of their equipment. They'll bring tanks, APCs, helicopters, etc, including a tent full of all (or at least most) of their gunnery equipment for people to handle. As you may imagine, there are a lot of dads bringing their kids, which you'll promptly see [trying] to handle the guns and even sitting at the .50cals as seen above.

It's actually quite educational. I knew that .50cal rifles were heavy, but 30lbs feels a lot heavier than it sounds, especially when it's distributed across ~4ft.

That picture was taken at an airbase. Every year, they have a day dedicated to kids, so they can watch planes go by and sit on them, see the other vehicles, etc. Fun times. :D

Remember this?

It went back to Clark Customs and I just got it home today:

The old slot-head screws that were holding on the heavy slide rail were removed and replaced with these nice allen-heads.

It is a 1960s Colt 1911 that was owned by my grandfather and customized for competition by Clark Customs. Recently the sight rail screws failed while Kiki was shooting. The rail flew off and hit her in the forehead. I sent it back to Clark and they restored it with new hardware.

Ouch, that must have hurt.

It is a 1960s Colt 1911 that was owned by my grandfather and customized for competition by Clark Customs. Recently the sight rail screws failed while Kiki was shooting. The rail flew off and hit her in the forehead. I sent it back to Clark and they restored it with new hardware.
Oh yeah, I remember that story now. Didn't remember that it was a 60s Colt. Cool!

So I just learned my new employer just lost out on a contest (Got down to us and Microsoft AX, they went with AX) with Magpul for a pretty large contract. I'm sad.

Remember this?

It went back to Clark Customs and I just got it home today:

The old slot-head screws that were holding on the heavy slide rail were removed and replaced with these nice allen-heads.

I just saw this on Gunnit. I know your reddit account now, Blind.

Traded in my Sig 2022 for a full size M&P 9.

IMG_20130702_120755_092_zps629915fc.jpg

That's not a trade you hear people making very much. What's your reasoning?

- - - Updated - - -

So I just learned my new employer just lost out on a contest (Got down to us and Microsoft AX, they went with AX) with Magpul for a pretty large contract. I'm sad.

Look at it this way - if you move back to Chicago (which IIRC you were from) you couldn't have any of Magpul's mags anyway. Chicago has a 12 round limit, Cook County has a limit of 10.

Then again, if you moved to Houston permanently, no restrictions on mag size. :D

But then you'd be living in Houston...

There is always Utah. Better gun laws than Texas, nice mountain driving roads, great recreation, and weather that isn't made of Satan's swampy ass.

Look at it this way - if you move back to Chicago (which IIRC you were from) you couldn't have any of Magpul's mags anyway. Chicago has a 12 round limit, Cook County has a limit of 10.

Then again, if you moved to Houston permanently, no restrictions on mag size. :D

Raised in KC, Chicago for school, back to KC after I dropped out, now back to Chicago (after training) to move in with the fiancee.

Raised in KC, Chicago for school, back to KC after I dropped out, now back to Chicago (after training) to move in with the fiancee.

How unfortunate. The Chicago part, not the fiancee part.

- - - Updated - - -

But then you'd be living in Houston...

IIRC, he's already going to Houston for several months for training anyway.

That's not a trade you hear people making very much. What's your reasoning?

1. I prefer the 9mm over the .40. I shoot it better. Not that I was bad, but, grouping is better.

2. This feel much more comfortable in my hand over the 2022. I can also manipulate it faster.

3. More rounds in the mag. 17+1 vs 12+1.

4. More aftermarket. There are a lot of options out there to make it as fancy as like. The 2022 has no such aftermarket support.

There is always Utah. Better gun laws than Texas, nice mountain driving roads, great recreation, and weather that isn't made of Satan's swampy ass.

But MORMONS! :p

FG-ers, I've been looking for a Ruger MkII for months and can't seem to find one locally. MkIII is even harder to find because it's not MA compliant but I prefer the MkII anyways so w/e. I talked to a local FFL who is willing to do the transfer if I buy from out of state. What's a good place to look? Any advice/tips or what to watch out for? I'd prefer to buy from a dealer I think because I feel like that's safer (I won't get cheated and the gun won't be completely beat up; plus I'll prob save on the seller's transfer fee). Thoughts?

You might have better luck asking on rimfirecentral.com. They have a whole section devoted to the Ruger Mark series. As far as places to look, try GunBroker, Auction Arms or GunsAmerica.

Having never bought like this before, bear with me...

I'm guessing I message the seller with interest, then contact my local FFL and send them the posting to make sure they'll do this specific transfer. Then, assuming everything is looking ok, I pay the seller directly and have them mail the gun to the FFL. I then pick it up from and pay the transfer fee to the FFL. Am I missing anything?

I feel like I'm in Lord of War :lol:

Having never bought like this before, bear with me...

I'm guessing I message the seller with interest, then contact my local FFL and send them the posting to make sure they'll do this specific transfer. Then, assuming everything is looking ok, I pay the seller directly and have them mail the gun to the FFL. I then pick it up from and pay the transfer fee to the FFL. Am I missing anything?

I feel like I'm in Lord of War :lol:

That's not quite how it works.

First, you need to find an FFL local to you who is willing to do the transfer. Many are not because it's all the usual paperwork without the profit margin selling you the weapon from their stock would net them. Some will do the transfer for a large fee to offset this. Others don't care and will do the transfer for a nominal $20 or less charge for their time. FFLs are *not* obligated by law to provide this service, so you need to find your FFL first. You may or may not be able to obtain the copy of the FFL's license at this time - you need the copy to send to the other party, but many FFLs will not just allow you to make off with this without a definite and specific firearm in mind.

Next, you locate the weapon you would like to purchase and contact the seller to indicate interest, make sure it hasn't been sold, etc. Once you've done that, if you didn't get the copy of the license from the FFL because he wanted to see the ad, you do that. If you already have a copy of the license, send that to the seller along with completing whatever payment arrangements you have made.

If what you are purchasing is a pistol, the seller must send it by FedEx or UPS and declare it as a firearm. USPS does not accept handguns. If it is a rifle or shotgun, it can be shipped by FedEx, UPS or USPS - but it must be declared as a firearm. The carrier accepting the shipment will want either a copy of the FFL or at least the FFL's number (this is slightly different than if you are sending it back to a manufacturer for service).

The FFL will receive the shipment (provided the carrier doesn't munge it up) and log it in to his inventory. After that, it's the usual procedure for obtaining a firearm in inventory - fill out the form 4473, go through the background check(s) and whatever waiting period or other local requirements you may have, then take possession.