The Gun thread

It would suck to have those two trucks loaded with that kinda kit pull up to your doorstep...

Yeah, the other people who were shooting were looking at us like we were gonna kill them all. :lol: We had 5 different AR-15's, a suppresed 9mm AR, and you see the suppresed sig 226. Set up our targets and had a great time. We talked about how bad ass it would have been if we had a black heli land close to us too. People would have probably just left at that point.

Last edited:
Blackwater!

I have no idea what you're talking about nor am I affiliated with the former security group known as "Blackwater". :D

Last edited:
Can anyone identify this gun or point me to a forum who could? It is a 7 shot revolver that uses 22 short; it was my great grandmothers and it has the word DEFENDER stamped on the top. It was recently discovered in my grandparents home along with a Winchester Model 62 built in 1938.
P1020647.jpg

P1020648.jpg

P1020649.jpg

Last edited:
It is a Defender Number 1 (abbreviated as No 1) revolver, manufactured by Iver Johnson and sold by J.P. Lovell Arms. The Defenders were made from 1875 to 1888 and the sequel/revision/improved Defender 89s from 1889 to 1895. Sold in 1885 for about $1.50, worth about $130-$140 today. Other versions were available in .32 Short Rimfire, .38 Short Rimfire and .41 Short Rimfire.

This particular example appears to be a late mark of the Defender 1, as it has some of the features of the Defender 89 Number 1 but is not marked "Defender 89".

Have it thoroughly examined by a qualified gunsmith before attempting to fire the weapon, even as a test. Old weapons' metallurgy can be suspect and old revolvers' timing *must* be carefully checked before use. (There's multiple reasons why firearms built before 1898 are not legally considered "firearms" in most jurisdictions and by the Federal government... the fact that many of the old guns were sick jokes in terms of user safety is one of them.)

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info. Any idea why there is a mark in the metal straight through the name?

Cool, thanks for the info. Any idea why there is a mark in the metal straight through the name?

That's the rear sight notch.

Here's one from a modern revolver:
image012.jpg

Basically, you look down the top of the weapon and visually align the front sight with that groove to aim the weapon, as pictured below. Note that old revolvers didn't always want you to line up the front with the rear vertically (due to differing design philosophies) and that some experimentation might be necessary to tell you what your point of impact is for any given sight picture.

SIGHTALIGNMENT3.png

Last edited:
Ah, I totally forgot about a rear sight, I didn't see the notch in any other pictures online so I was a little confused.

In case anyone is interested, a mother shot her son and then herself at a range here in Florida. Clearly she was unstable. The article mentions that there are no measures regulating gun rentals at ranges, this seems like something that may spark a change.

I guess there is some sort of trust involved when you go to a range and there are others there firing weapons. Thoughts?

http://www.wftv.com/news/19119365/detail.html

In case anyone is interested, a mother shot her son and then herself at a range here in Florida. Clearly she was unstable. The article mentions that there are no measures regulating gun rentals at ranges, this seems like something that may spark a change.

I guess there is some sort of trust involved when you go to a range and there are others there firing weapons. Thoughts?

Here's a question - just what regulation would have prevented this *at a range*??? Even if she had been diagnosed with mental illness prior to the incident, between HIPPA and the inept Feds a background check wouldn't have shown anything (as the Virginia Tech massacre proved).

For the sane, the fact that there are others in the immediate area firing firearms generally keeps them in line.

Yeah, I agree. I just think others won't see it that way and there will be a push to do something. Whether it works or not doesn't matter, as long as people think something is done they will feel better

We'll see how it plays out and if anything happens.

Can't fix crazy.
Can't fix stupid.

Yeah, I agree. I just think others won't see it that way and there will be a push to do something. Whether it works or not doesn't matter, as long as people think something is done they will feel better

We'll see how it plays out and if anything happens.

Doubtful that if "something" is done it will be beneficial. Chances are pretty good that any additional regulation will result in massive range closures - in many states, ranges are under some pretty onerous rules both from government and insurance.

Another way to look at it is this - if the mother ran over her child with her car at a motorsport complex, then set the car to run over her as well, would we be talking about additional "car control"? Or just writing it off as "can't fix crazy?" Or if she'd used poison?

I once found myself in a conversation with an anti-gun acquaintance of mine on the topic of guns and crime. He claimed that removing guns would resolve our murder and crime problems. I explained to him that I could think of eighteen ways off the top of my head to kill him as he stood there that *didn't* involve a firearm at all. He got that "deer in the headlights" look and said that he hadn't considered that.

If it wasn't a firearm, it would have been a kitchen knife. Or poison. Or the family SUV. Or gasoline. She would have found some way to kill her child and herself.

Last edited:
True, but there really is no stigma associated with cars and kitchen utensils. And let's be honest, we still make people take off their shoes at airports...so logic doesn't always prevail.

I would imagine family members of those involved will probably argue that she was given easy access to a firearm yada yada.

On a side-note, the image of her pointing the gun at her son is pretty spooky.

We don't even have any real checks over gun rentals in this country in your first three visits to the gun club, so the same could happen here. When you become a full member (which you have to do after three visits) there are much more serious checks.
The only way to stop this kind of thing is to have anybody who isn't a full member under careful and close watch.
Clearly, in this case, the only blame that can be placed (obviously other than with the mother) is with the range for not having proper supervision.

<sees latest Nancy Pelosi "we must compromise and ban guns for the children" speech>
<orders more Saiga, XD, STANAG and other magazines>
<doubles his order for steel-hulled 00 Buck>
<doubles his order for .45 230 grain JHP and EFMJ>
<triples his order for 5.56mm>
<places large order for NATO surplus and Federal Match .308>
<starts looking for a FAL>

Last edited:
<sees latest Nancy Pelosi "we must compromise and ban guns for the children" speech>
<orders more Saiga, XD, STANAG and other magazines>
<doubles his order for steel-hulled 00 Buck>
<doubles his order for .45 230 grain JHP and EFMJ>
<triples his order for 5.56mm>
<places large order for NATO surplus and Federal Match .308>
<starts looking for a FAL>

Since3 children died in the last 6 months after being shot with airguns (yes, fucking AIRGUNS!) and some so-called "authorities" talked about how we have easy acess to "high-power airguns" I am seriously doubting I will be able to keep mine without going through a very long and tedious bureaucracy...I sense a new law coming.:|

Last edited:
Yeah, I sense the same thing over here... so I'm stocking up.