The Gun thread

My SR40 seems very similar to the recoil of a 9mm. Being it was put on the SR9 frame that was the idea though. Seems to be a rep of being one of the lowest recoil .40 pistols. Still very happy with it and hasn't been too bad as a concealed yet either, was worried about the size/weight before.

More from Syria: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/08/26/234217.html

000_Nic6125372-2.jpg

Caption: "A rebel fighter returns sniper fire during battles with Syrian government forces in the Sakhur neighborhood of Aleppo."

Looks like someone found a FAL and did some upgrades to it...

I wish I could carry a gun in CA. I could feel like Bat Masterson lol

Wearing proper combat boots I see...

The Gun thread

If that guy is returning fire shouldn't the other guy be behind cover and not standing in the line of fire?

From a not-unrelated discussion of this video (two guys using FALs with rifle grenades in Libya) over on the FAL forums:

Funny part when he raised the sight, but don't used it just hold to the ground. Still amaze me how the guerrilla outhere never take cover or move during shootout. Please, someone can illuminate me on the subject.

Few have any military training. As in Africa, they usually do not actually shoot at a specific target but rather towards a general area. If anyone ever gets hit it's usually by something blowing up.

Fighting usually consists of, jump out, do a dance, pull the trigger a few times, dance again, jump back to cover.

As far as the grenade sight goes, I would imaging after you fire a few you get the hang of holding the rifle at the right angle and can lob them in there without the sight.

Last edited:
An amusing take on the classic "Wheel Of Misfortune" diagnostic target:
targetha5.jpg

:lol:

Is the Mini-14 that bad?

:lol:

Is the Mini-14 that bad?

The pre-580 series ones are, yes. For a host of reasons. New ones are better, but still have issues with barrel whip throwing their accuracy out, among other things.

The Gun thread

Sooooo... Looks like I just bought what will be the first AR-15 I could actually trust in *all* environments.

ruger_sr556_1.gif

ruger-ar-15-sr-556.png

I've been waiting to see how these would turn out and hold up, what with the new FAL-inspired gas piston system. Turns out that according to all reports and tests they're stone axe reliable like a FAL and keep working in conditions that would shut down a regular direct impingement AR. As a bonus, it seems that most of these (despite claims made about pistons being inherently accuracy robbing) turn out to be more accurate than your average DI AR. More than a few have turned out to be sub-MOA shooters.

So I bought one with an Aimpoint and take delivery next weekend.

Last edited:
Sooooo... Looks like I just bought what will be the first AR-15 I could actually trust in *all* environments.

I've been waiting to see how these would turn out and hold up, what with the new FAL-inspired gas piston system. Turns out that according to all reports and tests they're stone axe reliable like a FAL and keep working in conditions that would shut down a regular direct impingement AR. As a bonus, it seems that most of these (despite claims made about pistons being inherently accuracy robbing) turn out to be more accurate than your average DI AR. More than a few have turned out to be sub-MOA shooters.

So I bought one with an Aimpoint and take delivery next weekend.

Isn't that basically the same thing HK did with the 416 a few years ago, or is it some different kind of piston operation?

What maker and model or custom build? there's so many short stroke ARs nowadays.

It's a Ruger SR556, factory configuration.

Do you anticipate using an AR-15 in harsh environments?

It's not so much harsh environments as any environment. Depending on certain qualities of the ammo you're using (even actual quality ammo!), you may have to break down your AR for cleaning in the middle of a static range session because the weapon has jammed.

You know the joke about 'direct exhaust injection'? Well, the regular AR-15 uses something not unlike DEI to run. The hot gases that are used to propel the round down the chamber are tapped off the barrel and routed back to the bolt carrier. The gases literally blow the bolt carrier backwards and cycle the rifle. This means that the hot gases, burned powder remnants and everything else that's in the gas cloud that is generated by firing a gunpowder firearm are in part vented into the rifle. This has lead to many, many ARs jamming over the years, not to mention making it much more difficult (but even more necessary) to clean frequently and making the entire weapon very, very warm to hot after even a short shooting session.

Even if you clean and lubricate the weapon properly and frequently enough that it doesn't jam due to 'crapping where it eats' if you are in a dusty or sandy environment, the proper level of lubricant can and does attract said dirt and dust which can cause the weapon to jam. Even when just on the range.

Most competing weapons platforms today (and indeed all the subsequent systems designed by the AR's creator) use a gas piston and rod of some sort to move the bolt or bolt carrier. This means that the gases tapped off the barrel hit the piston and drive it backwards, but they don't continue on into the receiver. The rest of the weapon doesn't heat up, crud isn't automatically blown into the workings and the necessity of sudden cleaning and maintenance is greatly diminished. This is important; when your gun goes down and needs to be cleaned in the middle of the action it really sucks, whether it's in combat or the middle of a civilian timed shooting competition.

Here is a link to a Flash animation showing the differences between the two types - gas piston is represented by the HK416 and the M4 represents direct gas impingement. You can switch back and forth between the two in the animation by clicking the 'COMPARE TO' button in the lower right corner of the graphic.

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/

Isn't that basically the same thing HK did with the 416 a few years ago, or is it some different kind of piston operation?

Similar idea. The HK416 is basically a G36 gas system (itself a derivative of the AR-18) tacked on to an AR-15 type upper receiver with a more traditional HK-style barrel attached. However, it's recently been reported as having some severe problems: it doesn't like cold weather (the gas system literally freezes up and takes down the weapon) as well as having issues with the upper receiver cracking - it's so bad that USSOCOM, who had helped develop the HK416, gave up on it and went back to the M4A1 (and later moved on to the FN SCAR). Also, while it jams less than the parent AR-15/M4, the HK416 still jams more than the SCAR or the XM8. Civilian versions are, as is usual for HK, ridicu-priced for what you get (or rather, don't get.)

The Ruger uses an all new two stage gas piston system, which seems to resolve a lot of the problems with piston-type ARs, and it seems to vaguely resemble the FAL's gas system, user-adjustable gas regulator and all.

Last edited:
First AR I like.

Really interesting!!

My Freindly Neighborhood Weapons Dealer has some really nice high end piston-driven AR-15s they stock. Really nice stuff, but I would still lean towards the XCR.

I knew they were susceptible to environmental effects, but I didn't realize the design made normal operation unreliable. With an inferior blowback system, what has made the AR-15 continuously popular in the states? Surely there are strong competitors, even outside the Kalashnikov family.

The Gun thread

The XCR is a nice reliable weapon, per reports. It also suffers from the same vibration problem affecting accuracy as the Kalashnikov it is partially based on. The giant heavy bolt/bolt carrier slams the weapon around mercilessly.

As for the popularity, it is due to many factors - first, when it does work it is extraordinarily accurate for an issue rifle. Second, as many are veterans, it is the rifle they are most familiar with. Third, it is obviously extremely modular - the Barbie For Men joke applies here. Fourth, it is relatively inexpensive. Finally, it is lightweight and has low recoil, so persons of smaller stature can easily carry and use it.

Last edited: