The Gun thread

In Canada, the minimum barrel length for a restricted weapon is 106mm. Shorter than that it becomes a prohibited weapon.

So if you want a Sig-Sauer P229, you need to have a threaded barrel on it, because the standard one is too short.
Ironically, Massachusetts is the exact opposite - they frown severely upon threaded barrels. Most likely because they think that an assassin will screw on a legally purchased "silencer" that will make every shot virtually silent :lol:

In Canada, the minimum barrel length for a restricted weapon is 106mm. Shorter than that it becomes a prohibited weapon.

So if you want a Sig-Sauer P229, you need to have a threaded barrel on it, because the standard one is too short.

Pot add to this, there are certain semi auto rifles and shotguns that are prohibited by name, and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.

for example, the Steyr AUG is prohibited,
JingGongAU-2G.jpg

but this Tavor is not
xDCrOXN.jpg

and this Valmet M76 is prohibited
4tKylT6.jpg

but this Valmet M78 is not.
RgjJcbO.jpg

MA is the same way :lol: In Boston the AR is prohibited, yet the Tavor (which uses the same magazines, btw) is perfectly ok. Makes zero sense but that's what happens when you can't come up with a rational reason for banning a particular firearm so you have to resort to cosmetic bans.

This conversation might be more suited for the gun law thread in the politic section.

To get us back on topic a little more, it looks like I'm going to finally get to try out my new M&P Shield this coming Saturday. Since it's the first time I will be firing my own gun, are there any tips and tricks I should keep in mind? My main concern is getting it sighted in properly on this first session. Are there any special techniques I have to keep in mind for that? (Things like target size and distance, number of shots per group, etc.) I have fired handguns before but it's been about six years since I've done so. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Assuming you're aware of the safety rules and that the gun hasn't been tinkered with by a previous owner, you shouldn't need much. Start off at a short distance and do some basic drills to remind yourself of the fundamentals; my personal favorite is the ball & dummy. Honestly, the vast majority of modern handguns are very accurate so if you're missing, it's probably you and not the gun; hence my recommendation that you focus on the basics at first, if you haven't shot in six years.

So I'm going to the Los Angeles/Dana Point in March and would like to shoot some guns. I've google some shooting ranges, but non of the locale (Dana Point) seems to offer "pay and shoot". Any advice? I'm going to rent a car, so an hours drive shouldn't be a problem.

G3?
Sorry, gun noob.

So, no reloading? :p

Note to self: stay the fuck away from LA Gun Club. I can understand California hipsters freaking out over shooting guns for the first time (even if their attitude is dumb - no, there's nothing James Bond-ish about shooting) but the utter lack of safety discipline enforcement by the range's staff is inexcusable.

Never shot a gun before? Don't worry, here's an AK with a full mag! It'll make a funny video, bro! What would you like next, one of the most powerful handguns on the market or a goddamn 12-gauge shotgun (loaded to capacity, of course)?

Moronic, if you ask me. This is the kind of bs that doesn't help the 2A cause at all.

It's the same club that did the liberals video a while back:

I wonder why no one has decided to start making SVDs in the USA or some European country like the Czech Republic. I mean, they cost upwards of 5 grand and it can't be that difficult to CNC machine a receiver.

I wonder why no one has decided to start making SVDs in the USA or some European country like the Czech Republic. I mean, they cost upwards of 5 grand and it can't be that difficult to CNC machine a receiver.

Actually, the SVD design is surprisingly difficult to get right. It may look like an AK, but it's a lot more machining intensive to build - it doesn't share any parts and it even uses a totally different action. You have to build most every part of it or you end up with the Romanian clone where it looks like a Dragunov but it's just a long barrel AK with corresponding (lack of) accuracy.

It's rumored that the guys behind the NoDak Spud receivers are working on trying to bootstrap domestic SVD production.

India and Poland both build true SVD variants but they don't sell them. China's the largest non-Russian producer of the SVD (under Norinco) and a lot of the countries that won't buy from Russia for their militaries buy from China instead - and of course, China undercuts almost everyone else so most countries won't crank up domestic production.

- - - Updated - - -

Note to self: stay the fuck away from LA Gun Club. I can understand California hipsters freaking out over shooting guns for the first time (even if their attitude is dumb - no, there's nothing James Bond-ish about shooting) but the utter lack of safety discipline enforcement by the range's staff is inexcusable.

Never shot a gun before? Don't worry, here's an AK with a full mag! It'll make a funny video, bro! What would you like next, one of the most powerful handguns on the market or a goddamn 12-gauge shotgun (loaded to capacity, of course)?

Moronic, if you ask me. This is the kind of bs that doesn't help the 2A cause at all.

I assume it wouldn't surprise you to know that the LA Gun Club was the range voted "most likely to get accidentally shot at" by many clubs while I lived there. They were really crap about range officers and gun safety and it appears they haven't improved since then. They freaked out about evil looking but CA-legal rifles but wouldn't call out some idiot walking around the firing line with his finger on the trigger of his loaded pistol, waving it around.

It was actually more dangerous than going out to the desert, getting drunk, and unloading whatever into wherever with your drunk friends.

Last edited:
I've only ever seen one SVD (my friend bought one for more than $5,000 a few years ago) but it was a beautiful, beautiful thing. He only had it a few weeks before he felt he had too much money tied up in it and traded it away.