The Gun thread

Yeah, open bolt semi autos have been a no-no since 1982. There's a pretty good video by Gun Jesus about the Uzi Carbines that were imported back in the 80s.

Just a Surefire M951/952 away from full Navy SEAL larping.

XYwokcV.jpg

I can trade you the M951 off my ex-Waco-Police Ruger for a TLR. :p

Since I didn't mention buying these a few months back... Here's my SIG P232 and my S&W in Best MM... Both of these were pawn shop scores, I paid $350 and $650 respectively.
PZiTKq2.jpg

DesertTech seems to have resolved most issues with their MDR.

Personally, I'm going to wait several more months and see what the consensus of extended testing (more than 100 rounds) is on these before I put it on my 'want to buy' list.

In not entirely unrelated news, TriStar (US arm of Turkish arms maker) has taken the Saiga 12 shotgun and bullpupped it while maintaining almost complete Saiga parts interchangeability. Early reviews seem to be reasonably decent and it is only $600 or so.

Desert Tech has been in touch with people waiting for orders. They are giving them options on how they want to proceed, wait until all issues are resolved before taking delivery, or take delivery now and get updated parts shipped out when they become available.

If what I'm hearing is true, they've fired the people responsible for the fuckup that was the MDR launch and now have people in charge who are competent and are following what people are saying online and trying to be responsive.

Here's a really stupid question since I'm coming to Texas - Is it better to buy ammo via mail order and bring it (keeping in mind the GTO has a tiny trunk) or buy it once I get there?

Here's a really stupid question since I'm coming to Texas - Is it better to buy ammo via mail order and bring it (keeping in mind the GTO has a tiny trunk) or buy it once I get there?
If you list calibers that you're bringing, I can check the ammo section at the local Walmart and tell you what the pricing is; you can probably figure out whether mail order makes sense or not at that point.

You can also possibly have ammo drop shipped to one of the DFW contingent and pick it up when you get here.

Calibers are...
7.62x39
5.56/.223
9mm
10mm (I don't think Walmart stocks this)
.44 Magnum (I think I have a box and a half of this lying around somewhere, and it's honestly most likely not something that most people would shoot a lot)
.45 ACP
.22LR
Maybe .303 Brit if I bring my SMLE

I just bought my first gun, a Kahr CW380. I've had it for almost a month and I still haven't been to the range yet. Haven't fired a weapon since I left the navy 15 years ago so while my knowledge is probably rusty, my marksman skills definitely are. Caliber snobs may laugh at puny little .380s, but if I can't neutralize a threat after 8 hollow points, then I've got much bigger problems.

Last edited:
I suggest FMJ for .380, the ballistic gel tests show it does a better job than hollow points.

I'm fine with .380 (I also own and carry one), the gun you carry because it's comfortable is better than the one you left home because it isn't.

I suggest FMJ for .380, the ballistic gel tests show it does a better job than hollow points.

I'm fine with .380 (I also own and carry one), the gun you carry because it's comfortable is better than the one you left home because it isn't.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll stick with different ammo for target versus defense situations. My concern with target ammo for self defense is twofold: smaller wound channels doing less damage, and over-penetration in populated areas. I'd rather the bullet expand for maximum damage and (hopefully but never guaranteed of course) stop inside the attacker, and not punch a tiny clean hole right through and hit a bystander. If that happens then I'm off to prison, no matter how justified the shooting was.

Unless you are point blank range with a .380, your chances of over penetrating with enough remaining energy to do much harm is slim at best.

Unless you are point blank range with a .380, your chances of over penetrating with enough remaining energy to do much harm is slim at best.
That's the thing, I'm taking point blank range into account. It's not the only range I've taken into account, but it's one of multiple factors.

Good haul. You should bring those with to Dallas so we can run them through the ultrasonic cleaner

? Whoa, when did this happen? :jealous:

In not entirely unrelated news, TriStar (US arm of Turkish arms maker) has taken the Saiga 12 shotgun and bullpupped it while maintaining almost complete Saiga parts interchangeability. Early reviews seem to be reasonably decent and it is only $600 or so.

Whaaa....? I should not have clicked on that link. twiddles fingers Though to be honest, I still need to take mine out for more range time to get used to it.