The Gun thread

My perception of "long distance" is officially skewed after this weekend. Shot out to 200 yards off-hand and then 300 yards from a bench - pretty easy. Gonna try to get onto the local 600 yard range next, methinks...

200 and 300 were never long distance. :p Unless you're limited to 5.56. :p

200 and 300 were never long distance. :p Unless you're limited to 5.56. :p
5.56 isn't limited to 300 yards but yes, that's what I was shooting this weekend. What I like is that I don't really have to change my POA from point-blank out to 300 to stay within minute of man accuracy - very easy.

5.56 isn't limited to 300 yards but yes, that's what I was shooting this weekend. What I like is that I don't really have to change my POA from point-blank out to 300 to stay within minute of man accuracy - very easy.

Yes, 5.56 isn't technically limited to 300 yards - but its effectiveness tends to drop off at around that point (and the DOD's recent SME panels have shown that it may be as little as 200 meters - see link below - which is why the military is now looking at going to a 6.8mm round). There's actual range and there's effective range and they're not the same thing.

Also, if you're significantly having to change your POA from point blank to 300, you aren't zeroing your rifle properly - nothing to do with anything else.

https://robarguns.com/blog/2013/11/24/battle-sight-zero-bzo-who-has-it-right/

Further note - 7.62 NATO is effective out to at least 500 and in many configurations out to 600-800. The maximum range at which you can hit something is around 1000 but it's not really effective at that point.

Last edited:
Yes, 5.56 isn't technically limited to 300 yards - but its effectiveness tends to drop off at around that point (and the DOD's recent SME panels have shown that it may be as little as 200 meters - see link below - which is why the military is now looking at going to a 6.8mm round). There's actual range and there's effective range and they're not the same thing.
While this is all true, the line between "actual range" and "effective range" is very much blurred on a static range. Did the round make an audible impact on steel or punch a hole in paper? Great, that's all I needed. A 5.56 bullet also stays supersonic past 500 yards so I wouldn't exactly want to get hit by it.

Also, if you're significantly having to change your POA from point blank to 300, you aren't zeroing your rifle properly - nothing to do with anything else.
I don't have to significantly change my POA so I'm glad you agree.

Further note - 7.62 NATO is effective out to at least 500 and in many configurations out to 600-800. The maximum range at which you can hit something is around 1000 but it's not really effective at that point.
5.56 will reach 1000, just not with a lot of energy left. Probably not worth factory rounds either, if you want any sort of accuracy. It's not common for people to shoot 5.56 that far and it's not ideal by a long shot (see what I did there?) but it's possible with the right setup.

While this is all true, the line between "actual range" and "effective range" is very much blurred on a static range. Did the round make an audible impact on steel or punch a hole in paper? Great, that's all I needed. A 5.56 bullet also stays supersonic past 500 yards so I wouldn't exactly want to get hit by it.

I don't have to significantly change my POA so I'm glad you agree.

Except this is irrespective of caliber. If you zero a .308, .458 or .50BMG properly it will do the same thing.

5.56 will reach 1000, just not with a lot of energy left. Probably not worth factory rounds either, if you want any sort of accuracy. It's not common for people to shoot 5.56 that far and it's not ideal by a long shot (see what I did there?) but it's possible with the right setup.

A 5.56mm projectile at over 600 isn't going to be reliably useful for much other than making steel chime or putting a hole in paper. Some of us like to have our rifles be useful for more than hole punching, such as for hunting or defense should that be necessary, so the 'long range' 5.56 is not a practical reality.

Or, you know, take down a feral hog. Which a 5.56 will not do reliably in a timely fashion.

Except this is irrespective of caliber. If you zero a .308, .458 or .50BMG properly it will do the same thing.
You forgot to specify "rifle caliber".

A 5.56mm projectile at over 600 isn't going to be reliably useful for much other than making steel chime or putting a hole in paper. Some of us like to have our rifles be useful for more than hole punching, such as for hunting or defense should that be necessary, so the 'long range' 5.56 is not a practical reality.

Or, you know, take down a feral hog. Which a 5.56 will not do reliably in a timely fashion.
None of that matters where I live. So once again, I don't really care about Texas unless I move there.

You forgot to specify "rifle caliber".

That was implied.

None of that matters where I live. So once again, I don't really care about Texas unless I move there.

It will soon.

Feral-hog-distribution-2015-qdma.jpg

https://www.qdma.com/feral-hogs-spreading-can-help-stop/

I'm not aware of ANY feral hogs in MA. There's hardly any rifle hunting allowed anyways, basically just coyote (not even deer). I also don't have the land to hang and gut a deer anyways so I'll stick to hunting birds.

Edit: just noticed that it's a 1948 map. Makes more sense now.

Last edited:
There was a cougar killed by a car in CT a few years ago so while it's possible for a hog to find it's way up here, it's still quite unlikely. I'd love to see it happen though - it would be hilarious watching the locals cry the same way they do about the overpopulation of deer.

Was shooting at a friend's house and one of the neighbors called the police on us. Officer apologized for bothering us, said that he is obligated to come out and investigate, assured us that it's perfectly legal to shoot in the back yard, and said he wouldn't mind coming over next time to shoot with us. Later in the day we broke out the machine guns and the explosives and sure enough, another cop showed up. This one just straight-up told us that it's awesome what we're doing and he too would like to shoot with us next time. MURICA!

Does this go in here or in the Lego thread?

Both of course.

Damn is that CZ good-looking.
Reminded me of you, @RdKetchup