The Guy Martin Thread

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Many of you should already be aware of Guy Martin, motorcycle racer, mountain biker, truck fitter, speed freak and fettler of all the things but I noticed there wasn't a thread for his exploits anywhere.

Tonight, live on Channel 4 in the UK he will attempt to break the world speed record for the Wall of Death on a motorcyle.....

Television entertainment in Britain becomes even more like a gladiatorial arena tomorrow when Guy Martin, the motorcycle daredevil, tries to break the world speed record for riding on a fairground-style ?wall of death?.
The attempt, to be made live on Channel 4 in front of an invited audience, has been designed by a mechanical engineer from Trinity College, Cambridge, Dr Hugh Hunt.
?We are most concerned that Guy doesn?t pass out,? said Hunt. ?There will be a G-force of six or seven coming at him if he manages 60mph. The most that people might experience on a quick turn on a funfair rollercoaster is five Gs ? and that is just for a few seconds.

Hunt believes the danger is justified by the unusual science necessary to set it up. ?It is not a show like Strictly Come Dancing,? he said. ?We learned that riding the wall is not about going as fast as you can as quickly as you can. I am hoping a little bit of the science will come over. I want kids to understand some of the maths. We have got to encourage the next generation of scientists.?
The stunt is to take place inside an aircraft hangar where shipping containers have been used to strengthen the sides of the vertical track. ?We faced lots of problems. The track has to be strong enough to take the weight of the bike at that level of loading. Going at speed adds up to a couple of extra tonnes to the bike weight. What?s more, every little droplet of oil or sweat on the track could make it slippery. And how much should we pump up the tyres? And what about the spokes??

The recent Channel 4 series The Jump, in which celebrities competed at winter sports on the slopes of the Austrian Alps, resulted in a run of bad injuries. Concerns over safety have cast doubt over the commissioning of another series. During preparations last year for the ?wall of death? stunt, Martin, 34, was hurt in a crash in a race in Northern Ireland, so he is no mere celebrity volunteer, Hunt said.

A film crew followed Martin?s training with ?wall of death? rider Ken Fox and also filmed him taking a trip in a stunt plane so he could experience the G-forces he expects to face.
?The physiology has been the other big thing,? said Hunt. ?Guy has really bounced back from his accident, but we are working out exactly what he should do if he thinks he is about to pass out. The tiniest little thing can lead to a big accident in those conditions.

?It is pretty scary because Guy keeps talking about going 100 miles an hour, which is faster than the track has been built for. That would be crazy. But then he is fairly crazy.?
Hunt admitted that he has had trouble sleeping recently. ?I wonder if we have thought it all through. But that is just what engineers do. I am pretty sure that he cannot fly out of the top of the track, unless he does it on purpose. That would be the most dangerous thing. If he falls downwards, he will tumble around a bit and hurt himself, but I don?t think he would die. You try to think of everything, but how can you know if you have??

For those unable to watch it directly I am sure it will be available from other sources in time.

And mods, if this belongs in Automotive rather than Entertainment then please move, thanks.

Last edited:
Guy Martin is awesome <3
Thanks for posting that.

I'm just surprised nobody had started a thread before today. I'm sure he will get involved in a lot more shenanigans assuming he doesn't manage to break his neck tonight so he merits his own thread.

For those wanting to find/see more his IMDB listing is here.

He has also written/co-written books which people may enjoy. They may be partially ghost written but they read as if they were all his own work as the editors have managed to retain his style in the writing.

i hope he writes more comprehensible than he speaks! :lol:

Last edited:
After assessing new medical reports that were brought to our attention by the defence, we determined there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction and discontinued the case

so they just ruled "dude be crazy" and dropped everything?

so they just ruled "dude be crazy" and dropped everything?
Not quite.

He said: “There have been two psychiatrists who have seen Mr Martin. The first, instructed by the defence and agreed by the prosecution, said that he does not always apply what others may refer to as commonsense. He has a vulnerability to take what people say at face value.”

Mr Cranmer-Brown said that Martin’s autism also made him “vulnerable enough for others to see him as an easy target”.

He added: “It may well be that he was taken in by somebody. We therefore accept that he didn’t possess that document with intent to deceive.”

wow...i had no idea that being naive can be a valid defense

i don't think that would work over here, when you've performed a crime, it doesn't matter it wasn't your intent, you'll still pay up

but i like guy, all the better for him :thumbsup:

Really stupid situation, as he has ability to drive anything and it would give them something to film if he has to do a test.

JCB tractor and the Steve McQueen jump were pretty good.

wow...i had no idea that being naive can be a valid defense

i don't think that would work over here, when you've performed a crime, it doesn't matter it wasn't your intent, you'll still pay up

but i like guy, all the better for him :thumbsup:
He's not naive, he's autistic.
Big difference.

Reactions: MWF
He's not naive, he's autistic.
Big difference.
This is something I didn't know. But having read this now it makes sense. Seems like a great guy though, love watching his stuff and the excitement he shows in what ever he's working on.

This is something I didn't know. But having read this now it makes sense. Seems like a great guy though, love watching his stuff and the excitement he shows in what ever he's working on.
I didn't know this about him as well.

autistic or not, if you get caught with an illegal drivers license, you will be trialed
and if you're so autistic you're a danger to society, they will put you in a mental institute, but if not, you'll have to pay the fine

Guy Martin is about as dangerous as custard.

bone on the other hand is a reactionary bell-end.

^as long as you keep your hands off, reactionary bell-ends aren't dangerous :p

Last edited:
autistic or not, if you get caught with an illegal drivers license, you will be trialed
and if you're so autistic you're a danger to society, they will put you in a mental institute, but if not, you'll have to pay the fine
I never said he shouldn't be trialed, but definitely intent matters.
Also, what an asshole comment.

Must be it.