The highway fuel consumption of your daily driver

The highway fuel consumption of your daily driver

• Total voters
Have you noticed that women tend to get less MPG? My mum is always asking me how to get better fuel economy, because she only manages 21mpg from the C300. When I drive it, I get 24mpg. On the same route. The main problem, she stays on the throttle constantly, rather than setting a speed and maintaining it.
The last time I compared by gender lines, I found the opposite. In the same car, in the same conditions, my mother got 18.8mpg, I got 16.6mpg, and my father got 14.4.

My mother drives reasonably - defensively, not aggressively, but not really timidly either (did back then, too). At the time, I drove quite aggressively, but thinking ahead quite a bit. My father drove very aggressively, didn't think as far ahead as I did, and treated pedals like binary toggles rather than the gradual tools they are. Oh, Dad would also use the AC more than Mom and I did.

This is ignoring mileage on track, where I seem to be great at setting low miles-per-gallon records. :D

Last edited:
The last time I compared by gender lines, I found the opposite. In the same car, in the same conditions, my mother got 18.8mpg, I got 16.6mpg, and my father got 14.4.

My mother drives reasonably - defensively, not aggressively, but not really timidly either (did back then, too). At the time, I drove quite aggressively, but thinking ahead quite a bit. My father drove very aggressively, didn't think as far ahead as I did, and treated pedals like binary toggles rather than the gradual tools they are. Oh, Dad would also use the AC more than Mom and I did.

This is ignoring mileage on track, where I seem to be great at setting low miles-per-gallon records. :D

I'm certainly not taking an anti-female stance, just stating an observation. My mother just doesn't drive with much regard for fuel economy, never has. I've given her some tips, but she always reverts back to her old ways.

I'm certainly not taking an anti-female stance, just stating an observation. My mother just doesn't drive with much regard for fuel economy, never has. I've given her some tips, but she always reverts back to her old ways.
But you didn't just state an observation. You went from on example to a generalization (phrased as a question, but still a generalization). That's a bit excessive.

I also didn't say you were taking an anti-female stance.

I'm sure it's a case by case basis. My wife is a bit hard on the gas away from traffic lights, where I tend to use a lighter touch. We both drive about the same speed once we get going, but I honestly think its all in her heavy footed acceleration.

My mom gets awful fuel economy in her Legacy GT. But she's letting the turbo spool up and shifting at 4k RPM off the lights every single time. Honestly, my mom's the most aggressive driver in the family (and you can tell by the cars she buys: Legacy GT, GTI, Mustang GT, etc).

My S70 does actually quite good. Well above the EPA estimates. If I just drive it like a sensible person, in 65-70MPH traffic, with no hills, I get 31MPG. With hills it drops to 29MPG.

With my driving style, mixed city-highway, and balls-to-the-wall acceleration every time I hit the highway, I get an average of 26MPG.

Not bad for 240hp car that does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds.

Daily driver in the winter or in the summer?

Probably something in the range of 24 hectares per fortnight.

My S70 does actually quite good. Well above the EPA estimates. If I just drive it like a sensible person, in 65-70MPH traffic, with no hills, I get 31MPG. With hills it drops to 29MPG.

With my driving style, mixed city-highway, and balls-to-the-wall acceleration every time I hit the highway, I get an average of 26MPG.

Not bad for 240hp car that does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds.

My 850 T5 always got way better than EPA ratings too. Driving from Colorado Springs to Dallas several times I saw 32 mpg. Generally around town I'd get 24-25 mpg, and I drove it hard too. Gotta get that 5-cylinder wail!

Just for this thread, today measured 12,59 l/100km over 250 km that was about 80 % highway cruising at ~ 110 kph.

Last edited:
Get 24-25 in the SVT. That's with me averaging 80mph. The Camaro was 19-20 when running. The wife's RX-8 gets the same as the SVT.

My Prelude averages about 23-24mpgUS overall so with just highway, I'd say about 25-26mpgUS. It will probably go up once I clean out the EGR ports/valve and other stuff like that.

just arrived at Adunaphel's house and after 1096 kms, the readout said 5.3l/100km. average speed with a short detour through towns and traffic jams was 110 km/h.

About 16l/100km at a cruising speed of 180kmh on the autobahn. I think at 130kmh it might manage about 12l/100kmh

Just cruising on the Autobahn with about 100kph between the lorries get my Astra down to about 5l/100km.
Which means around 1000km between the pumps!:mrgreen:

Doing the same with my Mustang gives it a consumption of abou 8-9l/100km. Having fun easily gets it up to 13l/100km.

Crap, accidentally voted my OVERALL fuel economy over the life of my car, not highway mpg.

Average for my '96 Accord 5-speed is 27.742 US MPG. Highway is closer to the 32mpg mark.

Actually, if you're interested, you can see all the gory details here!
http://mpgtune.com/vehicleDetails.php?carId=4920

I hit 13mpg city today. Woo!

I gained 3mpg fixing the EGR fault code...

With more than 100 kms to spare. I topped up at the last station in Slovenia, the country of (relatively) cheap diesel on the way there, but actually made it all the way home on a single tank, not just to Slovenia. Readout on the way home read 5.0.