Ownership Verified: The horribly-behind-schedule family project car - 1968 Plymouth GTX 426

Is progress slow? You fuckin' bet! Which I suppose means we're right on schedule.

Lots of small stuff done, chassis wiring harness is replaced, fuel tank mounted and fuel lines run, etc. Headers finally installed all the way.

Installed the engine wiring harnesses and ignition module:
D8C_3615_zps1c02aa16.jpg

D8C_3622_zpsbadf826b.jpg

I figured that while we had the interior mostly apart for the wiring harness, it would be prudent to replace the heater core and heater box foam seals while I had the chance. I wrangled the heater box out of the car... weird, this feels heavy for a plastic box. What's all that?

D8C_3627_zps18d22b64.jpg

Ah, that's what happens when your paint guy fails to cover the vent holes when sandblasting the interior. Suddenly I'm much happier about pulling that box - imagine turning on the heater with the brand-new interior installed.

D8C_3632_zps24fc8919.jpg

God I am so jealous of this car.

Alberta seems to have a pretty good classic car culture. I suppose the cheap fuel probably has something to do with it.

I suppose not. :lol:

America = north america (and cheap fuel also applies to most of south america aswell)

Otherwise it'd be usa

Last edited:
well america = north and south america :p

Trucking along at the usual snail's pace due to a dozen other concurrent projects. Got the exhaust system in (Pypes 2.5" stainless X-pipe kit) and hooked up to the Hooker longtube headers. Clamps are only snugged up for system alignment, it will be tacked in place and then separated from the mufflers for final welding. Factory tips are installed at the rear so it looks totally stock from up top.

SpOtTpZ.jpg

5Asr6km.jpg

Other progress lately has been the installation of the cooling system, interior wiring, fuel system, battery, and bumpers. Dash, cluster, and console are in, although the console will be pulled again so we can install the carpet. Believe it or not, once we have two more gauges installed (oil pressure and voltage), we'll actually be ready to start her up for the first time. Exciting!

It has been so long since you posted, I forgot about this car. Or was it Alzheimer's?

It has been so long since you posted, I forgot about this car. Or was it Alzheimer's?

Yeah updates are even slower than usual due to it being on the backburner for a while. Did a '65 A-code Mustang, a '66 stroker T-bird, and redid the drivetrain of our '68 GT350 since the last time I posted in this thread. It'll be getting a couple of days a week on it now though, so progress has been much better.

This car looks to be made to my standards! :)

That's high praise, thank you! :D

Great parents.
Great cars.
Great projects.

Are you going to make video of the first start and drive (with straight pipes)?

Yeah updates are even slower than usual due to it being on the backburner for a while. Did a '65 A-code Mustang, a '66 stroker T-bird, and redid the drivetrain of our '68 GT350 since the last time I posted in this thread. It'll be getting a couple of days a week on it now though, so progress has been much better.

That's high praise, thank you! :D

Have you swapped the upper front wishbone to one increasing the caster angle for better handling/more road feedback ?

You should also use a larger pulley on the servo pump to reduce the level of assistance , again for more feel on the steering.

(yes i have read a lot about b body mods) :)

Great parents.
Great cars.
Great projects.

Are you going to make video of the first start and drive (with straight pipes)?

Thanks! 100% chance of taking video of its first few runs and drives, although now that the exhaust is on it's unlikely to be straight-piped when we run it.

Have you swapped the upper front wishbone to one increasing the caster angle for better handling/more road feedback ?

You should also use a larger pulley on the servo pump to reduce the level of assistance , again for more feel on the steering.

(yes i have read a lot about b body mods) :)

Nothing like that yet, the disc brake mod was the most important to us from a safety standpoint, any other mods like that will be a post-completion thing. All of the front end components are new, just no aftermarket upgrades at present. At minimum I'd like to put in a rear sway bar, but again that'll have to wait until everything else is done. Some of the front-end setups you can get for the B-bodies are really nice, but significant $$$.

Awesome! Never even seen this thread before, looks a quality build. Here's to the next 15 years? :lol:

Haha, hopefully not that long. Once the engine is running and the carpet is in, she'll be sent off for upholstery, headliner, a new roof, and a final coat of paint... and that's it, really. We've got all the parts, just a matter of assembling the jigsaw.

Last edited: