The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

Cellos88GT

Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
Looks like German Green Party member Johannes Remmel doesn't like it either:

Tesla pulls up short in Germany test run said:
August 21, 2017 @ 12:01 am

FRANKFURT ? Proponents of battery-powered electric cars talk about range anxiety as if it is some conspiracy to marginalize the technology. Recently, however, one of Germany's strongest EV proponents decided to ditch his Tesla Model S for this very reason, according to information obtained via Germany's Freedom of Information Act.

Earlier this year, Johannes Remmel, a member of the eco-friendly Green Party and the environment minister of North Rhein-Westphalia, Germany's most populous state, wanted to test the feasibility of an electric vehicle for his daily use. He decided on the Model S, but after just 43 trips the vehicle was returned.

In an internal memo, a senior aide explained to one of the state's fleet managers in June that while the Tesla's performance was superior to other EVs in the market, it was nonetheless "ill suited" for official business given the distances Remmel needed to cover in North Rhein-Westphalia.

Not only was the certified European range of 500 kilometers (311 miles) impossible to achieve, even 400 km could not be realized with a fully charged battery, the aide said. That meant in practice the environment minister could travel only as far as 150 km before being forced to turn back ? otherwise "the style of driving has to be adjusted to an extreme degree to the charge status of the battery." Remmel had to stop at least 90 minutes to replenish some 10 kilowatt-hours of energy at one of the state's conventional charging stations.

More damning was the ministry's conclusion that the Tesla lacked the necessary refinement.

"When it comes to comfort as well as the ability to perform work, the rear bank of seats leave much to be desired for a sedan of its class," the ministerial aide wrote.

Tesla officials have declined to comment.

Remmel has plenty of time now to test out smaller EV models such as the BMW i3 or Nissan Leaf, since his government was voted out of office in May. When asked what his conservative successor favored, a spokesman for the ministry said the current car of choice was an older Mercedes-Benz S 500 e plug-in hybrid.

:lol:

Can we just copy/paste the Model 3 thread over :p

To be fair to Tesla, they are not well suited to his particular needs but for example would work fine for my boss who drives to the bus station and back maybe 10 miles altogether.

Last edited:
An autobahn car Tesla is not. Being on home turf for the Mercedes, of course it'll have the advantage with I'm sure, a bit of bias. The S class Hybrid seems to be about as eco friendly as the Chevy Tahoe Hybrids were.

The "Green Party politicians is who I look for in car advice" thread is over there -->

The other week my friend asked me to pick him up from his job, 50km out in the boonies. A 100km round trip, in other words. I drove out there and got a free lunch out of it. No biggie, I bought my car to use it. I had a quarter of a tank left so I didn't even have to worry about that.

A Leaf (which is what I can afford) with a quarter of a "tank"? LOL. :lol:

How do electric taxis work again? Around here they don't want to stop for red lights so what are they going to do when it comes to charging?

Looks like German Green Party member Johannes Remmel doesn't like it either:

:lol:

Possibly some bias there but those are valid points, especially about the seats.

On another note this topic will be fun while it lasts before it is inevitably closed. :lol:

As long as it doesn't devolve like the certain thread about a certain horse named car.

As long as it doesn't devolve like the certain thread about a certain horse named car.

Hope so. That thread you speak of was intense.

I don't understand the point of getting out of your car into the elements and having the car park itself, instead of just driving in and getting out inside the garage and then walking into your house w/o having to be outside.

Luxury car buyers love gimmicks to show off to their friends because they are boring individuals by themselves.

I don't understand the point of getting out of your car into the elements and having the car park itself, instead of just driving in and getting out inside the garage and then walking into your house w/o having to be outside.

The end game for that feature is to get "dropped off" in front of a store or your office, and have it go park itself, and that this part is part of the first steps.

That doesn't seem to make any sense, because parking between white lines and parking in a garage are completely different things. Didn't Audi already make that?

Didn't Audi already make that?

You know, I saw it teased a few months ago, but haven't come across anything about it since launch...but I havent' looked, either.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/27/tesla-model-3-no-fm-radio-no-bluetooth-streaming/

Tesla Model 3 sedans are just now starting to filter their way into dealerships across America, and that means we're finally getting answers to some of the most pertinent questions we have about the vehicle. Chief among those questions are details about how the Model 3's massive LCD touchscreen works. Some of it looks great, some is questionable, and some features are completely absent ... at least for now.

One item sure to generate controversy is the complete lack of a radio. At present, the Tesla Model 3 has no FM radio (AM is completely unsupported), and no streaming of music through a phone or any other electronic device. The only way to play music in the Model 3, at least for now, is to use a third-party streaming service over the car's 4G internet connection. In the end, this won't be too big of an issue, as an over-the-air update is planned that will enable FM radio and bluetooth streaming, and it's thought to be coming very soon.

It's also interesting to see just how many critical functions the touchscreen is used to control. For instance, there are no manual air vent controls. Instead, a sub-menu has to be entered to change the direction and speed or air flow. The windshield wiper controls, too, can only be adjusted through the touchscreen. Everything from the climate controls to the audio volume is adjusted through this one large screen, though there are two buttons on the steering wheel that can be customized as the owner sees fit.

While the lack of buttons and gauges certainly makes for a clean-looking interior, we're not so sure it's the best option for usability.

Jesus that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Sure it works great in San Francisco though <_<