The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

First successful mass-produced electric car?
Wasn't anything genius about it, aside from the software everything else is very much off the shelf parts*. The only "achievement" was selling it a a rich man's toy instead of an econobox. Also they have yet to turn an actual profit last I checked, so not sure if we could really call it successful, popular perhaps.

*In some cases shitty parts at that, like the big beautiful screens that fail more than a Windows update in early 2000s due to not being automotive grade.

Advancements in space travel?
What advancements? Also giving money to a bunch of smart engineers isn't really genius, you or I could very easily do the same thing if we had the funds. In fact we been doing just that through our taxes going to NASA and DARPA.

I don't like him much but I consider him a genius because he made the right decisions to get results. From his actions we have semi-autonomous electric cars that people really want selling like hotcakes and freaking rockets that land themselves like Thunderbird 1.

You can absolutely throw money at things and be considered a genius if you pick the right thing and it works out, in my book at least.

Guess my threshold for genius is higher than that, I’m not saying he is stupid or not a smart business man but genius?

Most creative geniuses are narcissistic lunatics.
Not creative geniuses. Narcissistic traits tend to be found most among professions like my own, and even moreso in the business sector, the latter category of which Musk squarely falls into.

Not creative geniuses. Narcissistic traits tend to be found most among professions like my own, and even moreso in the business sector, the latter category of which Musk squarely falls into.
He is also an engineer so there could be some measure of autism going on as well

wow, you realy can't give anyone any credit if it isn't 100% conform your religion, can you?

wow, you realy can't give anyone any credit if it isn't 100% conform your religion, can you?
Oh no someone has a different opinion from yours, they MUST be a zealot!

I give him credit for PayPal (IIRC that’s how he made his money, can’t be arsed to Google). I give him credit for his business acumen that lead him to market EVs as lifestyle vehicles to the rich.*

However I don’t consider him genius level. If he were basic ass problems like below wouldn’t exist. Any decent sysadmin would tell you that it’s a terrible idea to write a ton of logs to flash storage.
https://insideevs.com/news/376037/tesla-mcu-emmc-memory-issue/

*Something I had said before and just a few posts ago here.

P.S. In case you missed it, this is a thread about hating on Tesla and by extension Musk, so what's the problem here exactly?

Last edited:
Hilariously, I agree. Musk is a guy who seems to mostly throw money at people to make shit for him. Lots if people could pull that off with that much money. My biggest problem with tesla is the same as my problem with apple. They are the face of innovation for the industry so if they make a mistake or just are lazy it holds eveything else back. A lot of people are buying teslas as status symbols over innovation.

The joke in leftist circles i usually see is "he calls it Tesla but acts like Edison". And yeah, even the people who care about enviromental stuff even seem to not be fans unless they are the type to buy all the latest "green" stuff and brag about it. These are not unpopular opinions

I agree 100% that Elon Musk is a monumental bell end deserving of a huge slap. As for the product, nothing is perfect and all products tend to evolve and improve, I just think that like Apple, people like to hate on Tesla products. Maybe it's partly jealousy, maybe because they have Luddite tendencies.

All I can say is that having had a decent play with Leviathan's Model 3 Performance at Ringmeet in the summer, were someone to give me the keys to one on condition it was the last car I ever drove, I wouldn't be complaining.

Sure but they are criticisms no more or less valid than those about other products or companies say, for instance, a company that ships suspension parts that are correctly labelled with the right part number but which clearly don't fit?

i don't like google, i don't like microsoft, i don't like apple, i don't like anything coming from the US
and for every objection you'll raise on that quote, i'm sure i'll find some valid criticism to debunk it

Sure but they are criticisms no more or less valid than those about other products or companies say, for instance, a company that ships suspension parts that are correctly labelled with the right part number but which clearly don't fit?
Nothing is perfect but there are degrees to everything, in Tesla's case a lot of their issues stem from ignoring lessons other car manufacturers have learned decades ago and trying to apply software development methodology to building cars.

To use an example of Ford and my woes, it's extremely frustrating to be dealing with and I'm more than a little annoyed since I wasted a huge amount of time (that I barely have) and still didn't get my car fixed. However there is a huge number of replacement or upgrade parts available from a huge number of manufacturers including Ford themselves (Ford Racing). So the issue is relatively easily solvable depending on what I want to do. Add to it the fact that if I don't want to deal with it myself I can take the car to just about any shop that works on cars and have them figure it out.
Now contrast this to Tesla, aftermarket support is non-existent and because the cars are centrally controlled you can only get service from Tesla themselves or specialty certified shops, and if you don't they will straight remote shut down functionality of your car.
i don't like google, i don't like microsoft, i don't like apple, i don't like anything coming from the US
and for every objection you'll raise on that quote, i'm sure i'll find some valid criticism to debunk it
Then you should be right at home in this thread seeing as how Tesla is based out of California, which you might know, is part of US. But thank you for your extremely valuable contribution to the discussion. We can always count on you to provide extremely insightful arguments.

when talking to people with extremely narrow sight, extreme arguments are the only things that get through

yes, you're right
i'm the one who hates electric cars because it takes a full 20 mins to charge
i'm the one who hates bicycles just because they dare to use the public roads
i'm the one slashing uber's autonomous driving, without having read the article

have you EVER changed your opinion after a discussion, or just always kept true to your trumpian opinions?

i'm the one who hates electric cars because it takes a full 20 mins to charge
1 - show me any electric car that can charge from 0-100% in 20 minutes (and I mean a real car not a go kart or something that's not likely to be used as a daily.
2 - Pointing out obvious drawbacks to something isn't hating, I've stated multiple times latest specifically to YOU that BEVs work for a subset of drivers.
i'm the one who hates bicycles just because they dare to use the public roads
Go through the cyclists thread and see the points I and others have raised time and again about cyclists taking up the road. It boils down to training, licensure and insurance, like all other vehicles on the road have to deal with.
i'm the one slashing uber's autonomous driving, without having read the article
Aside from the fact that I said literally what the investigation into the collision said, yeah I'm totally the one slashing

have you EVER changed your opinion after a discussion,
Have you? Because you certainly seem to attack me quite a bit without trying to refute anything with facts or figures.
But to answer your question, yes I have, in fact it was in the Trump thread.
or just always kept true to your trumpian opinions?
Interesting... so @LeVeL, @Spectre and myself got rimmed by half of this forum for making things political and/or shutting down debate but it's fine for you to attack me because I dare to disagree with you?
Also when I pointed out a couple of issues with BEVs (in response to others I might add) in a thread about the VW ID I get essentially threatened by the mods for "derailing" the thread, but you are going to call me out for ragging on Tesla in a thread that is literally fucking made to RAG ON TESLA. Where are the mods to threaten you to stop derailing this?

Last edited:
Why is it that everytime we have these little forum questioning discussions, it's always @bone at the helm?