the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

Ok, thanks guys! So is Creative still the best in sound for computers? :D

I tend to forget, when dealing with a set of headphones, no amplifier, 32, 80 or 250 ohm are the best for everyday use? Beyerdynamic has all the options for its range, was looking at the DT880s or 990s since the 770s are old now.

Depends on the source, but with phones and mp3 players, 250 will be way too quiet, 80 I personally finds goes just loud enough on my Sansa Clip, but no louder. Without the possibility of just trying the variants with your device, I'd say take the 32 ohm, just to be on the save side.

well, not really. it is a rather high quality DAC with an inbuilt headphone amp. as i understood it, you don't want to use headphones but speakers? so no, this won't help you. it will work as a DAC (external soundcard), but is far too expensive if you intend to use it for just that. the amp included is not capable of driving speakers.

Last edited:
The plan is the DAC plus just an AMP.

But today all my hopes and things went down the drain, because went to a friend with my speakers, and they are crap! And on one of the the main low speaker doesnt work. So...

Posponding this till spring/summer.

The plan is to save a bit and buy some speakers, DAC and an amp.

Thanks for the help guys :)

In the near future Im going for these! + a YAMAHA amp + DAC.

YAMAHA NS 6490
16892_12073_1.jpg

Last edited:
I recently moved into a new house and I'm now finally able to set up all of my gear in a proper sized space. :D

First in the living room we have two systems. The hi-fi rig with the TT and CDP and a dedicated 2.1 setup for the TV.

i-hDK9ssc-L.jpg

Speakers are Infinity RS6 Kappa on the floor. Infinity P163 tucked in the bookcases and a Polk PSW10 sub.

And the heart of the system

i-RdzvWTN-L.jpg

On the left is a power conditioner, Yamaha RX-V377 receiver and a cheap blu-ray player.

The center stack is all made by a company called Emotiva. From top to bottom we have the DAC, CD player, pre-amp and power amp. The power amp is good for 150wpc into 8 ohms and 240wpc into 4 ohms. It really has opened up the Kappas quite a lot more than my old Sansui amp I used to use. On the right is my old Technics SL-1400 TT that I've had for several years now.

A closer shot of the Emotiva stack.
i-zsXdNw3-L.jpg

Moving on to the office, I have set up my 1976 vintage Technics SA-5460 powering Infinity Qb speakers.
i-PtKWZz6-L.jpg

And in the drum room just off the kitchen we have a ~1971 Sansui AU-999/TU-555 combo powering Pioneer HPM-100 speakers.
i-NQJq6Zm-L.jpg

i-fv3Qm6f-L.jpg

I would also like to heartily recommend the Infinity P163 bookshelf speakers. They were only $85 each and they have a very nice neutral and clear sound. Coupled with the Polk sub, they are easily 85% as good as the Kappa 6's. They don't have a lot of bass alone but the mid range and high frequencies are very smooth and accurate.

The TV is not to high? :)

It is definitely borderline. However the previous owner installed the wall mount and I'm far too lazy to move it. I don't really watch a lot of stuff on it so it doesn't bother me. It is an excellent height for watching when lying down though.

Just means there's that much room for a larger Tv. :)

indeed!
because of the size of my apartment i was kinda forced to mount my tv above the two screens on my desk. it's not quite as high as CJ's, but higher than most people would assume is comfortable. however, you get used to it fairly quickly, it just means you ever so slightly adjust the position you watch TV in :)

Newegg doesnt have sales tax to where they ship my stuff, Amazon does

Wal-Mart (believe it or not. They are a gigantic retailer, and their huge volume = decent prices quite often)
Frys.com
Microcenter
Central Computers
Tiger Direct

Many manufacturers have their own web stores where they offer clearance or refurbished items, or occasional promotions.

My Apple earbuds broke last night while on vacation. Wanted a replacement set for the slopes today, but the only thing I could find in the ski village was a store selling Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 earbuds. Holy hell I have never in my life had a worse pair of headphones. They don't play music, but rather just flat noise. Even with my phone set to bass booster and treble reducer there is absolutly 0 definition to the sound.

But the worst part is that I don't think the Skullcandy design team has actually seen what a human ear looks like. These things hardly fit, are super uncomfortable, and stick out of your ear like little antenna. They were for sale in a "extreme sports" store aimed towards the GoPro snowboard bros, but I don't understand how these could fit under a helmet.

I wasn't expecting much when I bought these for an incredibly overpriced $29.99CAD, but man, its actually impressive how bad they are.

Last edited:
I have a B&W Zeppelin that's something like 5 years old. I'd like to upgrade to an Airplay speaker, I'm thinking of getting the Zeppelin Air, but that is now a 3 year old product. Is there a refresh of B&W line coming that's worth waiting for? If you have suggestions for other great Airplay speakers, I'm all ears :). I don't need the dock functionality, but I'd love the ability of Airplay to switch to a external speaker with one click. My budget is EUR 400-600. Cheers and all the best in the New Year!

Last edited:
God damn, my cheapo USB DAC died :(

Need to order another.