the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I'm thinking of building my first audio system, on a not-very-expensive budget. I'm thinking of a stereo amplifier with FM radio, a pair of speakers, a CD-player and maybe a turntable. I'll be checking what I can find locally, second-hand included, but you guys know what I should look for.

Any thoughts? I don't even know what brands to looks for, and almost everything I've seen so far in stores is either Sony or some other large consumer brand. All I know is I don't really need 5.1 support except if it's cheaper than a stereo system. And what's the difference between an amplifier and a receiver?

Well, an amplifier does nothing but amplify the signal, while a receiver can receive radio and choose between different sources, like CD, Turntable, your computer and whatnot. For specific recommendations you need to be more specific about your budget I'm afraid.

Receiver is an integrated amplifier with a tuner built in. An integrated amplifier combines the pre-amp, which controls the volume, selects inputs, etc and the power amp, which gives you volume.

Budget should be under $600, I'm looking at something really affordable that I can listen to CDs and radio on. So it seems a receiver should do. Also the speakers should be in the bookshelf format

img.php

NAD C515BEE

Does anyone have experience with this CD player? Thinking of getting it to pair with my Darkvoice tube amp and HD650.

I've used NAD equipment in theater setups, but I don't know that I've ever used that particular model, and I've certainly never done a real listening test, but their stuff has struck me as solid on the whole.

I've used NAD equipment in theater setups, but I don't know that I've ever used that particular model, and I've certainly never done a real listening test, but their stuff has struck me as solid on the whole.

What about a Marantz CD-5001 (Assuming I can find one).

NAD stuff i've used and heard sounds fantastic, I personally prefer it to the marantz stuff i've listened to

Well, I can get the NAD C515BEE for $300 used? Yay or nay?

Well, at the moment I'm just hooking it up to my La Figaro 336 (Basically the darkvoice but updated) and HD650 headphone rig.

I figured that when it comes time to build my speaker set-up I'd jump straight to a Rega Apollo because I fucken love that thing so much.

From that stuff, I'd pair the JBLs and the Onkyo.

I'm looking for a little headphone buying advice. I've got a Cowon J3 with Sennheiser px-100's, but the headphones are a few years old and getting a bit beatup. I'm looking for circumaurals to use at work, is it worth spending $150-200 on a pair (and if so what should I get) or should I stick with new px-100's?

going to put together a pair of these:
644_0.jpg

BPA's CerAl-4.1
since i've already had the W4-657 thingies doing their stuff for quite a while here now and they're really not perfect broadband speakers, at least i thought i'd do something with them.
already ordered the tweeters, rest of the stuff... i'll have a quick dig through the basement and what's missing i can still order. no worries there :p

now with all the woodwork... i'm not quite sure about what i want to do. i'd love to have a "real-wood-front", maybe just have the rest of the speakers in black, but i'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.
since i haven't done a lot of this kind of work yet, any suggestions as to what i should avoid or be extra careful about when building this thing? thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a little headphone buying advice. I've got a Cowon J3 with Sennheiser px-100's, but the headphones are a few years old and getting a bit beatup. I'm looking for circumaurals to use at work, is it worth spending $150-200 on a pair (and if so what should I get) or should I stick with new px-100's?

What music do you listen to?

If you don't mind closed back, then the Shure SRH-840 might be worth looking at since they're not hideously expensive and sound reasonable.

What music do you listen to?

If you don't mind closed back, then the Shure SRH-840 might be worth looking at since they're not hideously expensive and sound reasonable.

Those look interesting. I listen to everything, classical, indie, hard rock, hip-hop mostly.