the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

Didn't know that about the KSC75, gonna get those. As why on-ear headphones, I haven't found in-ear ones comfortable at all.

Oh, and despite not being a fan of Porta Pro's level of comfort (I happen to have a pair), I still much prefer a headband to earclips :)

Was listening to this on the touch, noticed a huge distorsion(?) at 2:07. Figured it was my crappy mp3 rip, go home, fire up foobar with my headphones and lossless rip, and lo and behold same thing. You can hear it here at around 2:07

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...ry-there-must-be-more-to-life-than-this_music

Anyone have any idea how that can get past the studio mix? I know about the volume wars and all that but this just kinda hurts the ears.

hm... i've just listened to that part three times and i think i know what you mean, but i'm pretty certain that it is intended this way. it's not really distorted imo, it's just played in a way that might be mistaken for distortion.

Ah, ok could make sense since someone said there's also a cymbal at that mark. I don't have experience beyond listening to music and a bit of hearing damage so it's good that it might be intentional.

I agree with eizbaer. I think it's a roughly sounding cymbal, either an intentional sound effect or flattened by the quite compressed wall of sound they're sporting there.

Ok. Another question, do you guys think it OK for a shopping center to blast music at around 80-90 db? Measured with my phone but still noticeably intrusive.

well, as long as they're not violating any laws or health&safety regulations, it's technically is OK i guess... and if not they'd get in trouble rather quickly (i hope). regardless, they sure as hell wouldn't see me in there ever again, so personally i'd hate the shop from the moment i'd entered :dunno:

what the... is there some kind of celebration or special event going on, or is it always that ridiculously loud in there? holy crap... i mean, someone must have thought that to be a brilliant idea, but are they trying to sell exclusively to 16 year old crazy kids or something?

the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

Ok. Another question, do you guys think it OK for a shopping center to blast music at around 80-90 db? Measured with my phone but still noticeably intrusive.

A or c weighting? This makes a difference.

I'll look at what the app measures. And look into where I could file a report.

Funny enough, a meter app went free today on iOS and installed it on my touch

bqIgwxz.jpg

Last edited:
Coworker was looking into buying a HTC Desire 600, said it should sound incredible because Beats Audio, I said I'm pretty sure an iPhone should sound way better than a mid range HTC. Think I struck a cord when I mentioned that that HTC with its special Beats app or whatever doesn't even have an equalizer. Then I go compare some charts and indeed I was right. Dunno if it's telling an Android user that an Apple product is better at some aspect(I never go into iOS vs Android stuff, both have their strong suits).
I guess I initially got into this because I don't really like Beats, I have listened to several models of their headphones and all that damn bass manages to make all the lows sound like a muddy mess. And yeah, I realise the irony because Apple owns them now.

In other news, between listening on my PC to my Panasonic HTF600 and on the go on my iPod and the KSC75s, I've noticed how crap some other stuff can sound, stuff that I didn't notice before. Like the rather cheap headphones I use at work, or the headphones I had before on my PC.

My Apple earbuds broke last night while on vacation. Wanted a replacement set for the slopes today, but the only thing I could find in the ski village was a store selling Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 earbuds. Holy hell I have never in my life had a worse pair of headphones. They don't play music, but rather just flat noise. Even with my phone set to bass booster and treble reducer there is absolutly 0 definition to the sound.

But the worst part is that I don't think the Skullcandy design team has actually seen what a human ear looks like. These things hardly fit, are super uncomfortable, and stick out of your ear like little antenna. They were for sale in a "extreme sports" store aimed towards the GoPro snowboard bros, but I don't understand how these could fit under a helmet.

I wasn't expecting much when I bought these for an incredibly overpriced $29.99CAD but man, its actually impressive how bad they are.

Just discovered these sound rather decent if you press them into your ear a ton. I guess these "xtreme" headphones are designed to be smashed into your skull by a xtreme helmet while you're xteming on a xtreme snowboard or something xtreme. Wearing them without any inward pressure like I have for the last 2 months makes them sound terrible. I guess I'm not xtreme enough.

Last edited:
That just sounds:

2Xtreme__U___SCUS-94508_-front.jpg

for me.

well crap.
my pioneer receiver (vsx527) crapped out on the. clicked on-off rapidly a few times, then nothing. any ideas or should i just assume terminal death?

also, what's next? :D i'd rather love me some atmos thing, i don't know why, but i want it. which means it'll be expensive... mhmpf.

If anyone is looking for subwoofer bass but don't want to add a box to your car, get four Earthquake SWS 6.5" shallow mount subs and put them in all your stock locations. For 90USD a pair you can't go wrong, these things sound amazing even without an amp, but I'm gonna get myself a 4x75 amp next.
328Cisubs01.JPG

And maybe get some hardware crossovers to avoid having to install a crossover. Or am I overthinking it?