the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

hi guys, i have been using my trusty senn IE8 for some years now, and i decided to get a new pair of earbuds, just wondering what are possible choices out there able to match or even out match my current IE8's soundstage and such, i have not been following the audie scen for a veyr long time, dont have much idea which is the king of the hill now. any suggestion are greatly appreaciated.

I also own the IE8, and I'm afraid that it has a superbly wide and airy soundstage for a somewhat affordable in-ear. So even if they are a few years old, they may be difficult to beat in this priceclass. If you have to have a new one, you may want to look into getting the Sennheiser IE80. It is only an upgraded IE8 with similar construction, but it was tested to have a little more detail and clarity than the IE8.

Calibrating the Anti-mode is quite loud. :lol: I'm sure the neighbours appreciate.

Any recommendation for in-ear headphones under 100Eur? I want decent sound quality, good outside noise isolation and a headphone that doesn't leave a lot of sound outside(my current pioneers are really loud for people around me after I put them on). I want to use them on the phone for music.
As a guidance, this is what can be found on the local market and 100Eur=450Lei: http://www.emag.ro/casti-audio/filter/design-f581,in-ear-v15173/sort-priceasc/c?pc=40

I found those Shure at 449lei, and noticed that they have great reviews. I'm also attracted by Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear. I also read good things about Klipsch r6i, but didn't find them locally.

Edit: Ordered the Shure SE215, tomorrow should be here.:D. I hope they don't have cable microphonics as I read somewhere. I had a pair of entry level Sennheiser in-ear headphones a couple of years ago that I throw away because they had horrible cable microphonics.

Last edited:
I'm a Klipsch R6 fanboi, I have 4 pairs lying around throughout the house. Big fan. I get them for around $50 so for that price they're practically unbeatable

I wanted the Klipsch but couldn't find them locally. I didn't picked my new Shure headphones today as I had to leave town, but I should pick them up saturday morning. Can't wait to try them.

Those SE215's have a detachable cord between the buds themselves. They also pretty liquid resistant. I use them for a couple bands I mix for in my church. They impervious to sweat.

I used the Shure 215 for the last 2 days(at office and on the street) and I love them: they sound great and are really comfortable.

I've got a challenge... At work we use Microsoft Lync Skype For Business for communicating. Problem is the Jabra (UC Voice 550MS) headset I got is rather useless. Even at volume 0 the music is still too loud (yes, this boggles my mind too), and of course, the other party is unintelligible at this level. And let's not get into the actual audio quality, or the amount of noise that leaks into my surroundings. And last but not least, prolonged wear hurts my ears. So, for those who are up to it, Try and find me a (USB) headset that is
  • Lync Skype For Business certified (I can already hear the helpdesk drone saying "yeah, but your headset isn't certified, use one that is")
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Has easily adjustable levels for communication and audio
  • Doesn't sound like a midget farting in a in can
  • Preferrable costs under ?75, but ?100 would be acceptable still

EDIT:

Clarification: I want a stereo headset, not a silly one-ear thing.

Last edited:
Try and find me a (USB) headset that is
  • Lync Skype For Business certified (I can already hear the helpdesk drone saying "yeah, but your headset isn't certified, use one that is")
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Has easily adjustable levels for communication and audio
  • Doesn't sound like a midget farting in a in can
  • Preferrable costs under ?75, but ?100 would be acceptable still

EDIT:

Clarification: I want a stereo headset, not a silly one-ear thing.

You can have a look at the Plantronics Blackwire series of office headsets. The 720-M might be what you are looking for. The M in the Blackwire series is for Microsoft and means it is Lync Skype For Busines certified.

The headband cushion on my Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones developed a tear. Where can I get a replacement, either from Sennheiser or a third party? On Sennheiser's website for replacement parts for this model, they only offer the headphone jack adapter. On Amazon, there is a popular result that pops up,but based on the reviews it doesn't actually fit the HD 280 headphones.

Also? I've always wanted to change the cable. I've never understood coiled cables. Everything I've ever had with a coiled cable took so much tension to get any stretch out of the coil, that the plug always pulled out of the Jack anyways. I've always thought about replacing it with just a 6 foot long straight cable.

In my mind, as popular as these headphones are, I'm surprised there isn't just a "refurbishment kit" with the new cable, new ear pads, and a new headband pad.

So I recently picked up a set of Sony MDR-7056 headphones and a FiiO E07k to power them.

First impression: Holy crap, I've been missing out...

Does something like this Logitech X300 Bluetooth speaker sound noticeably better than laptop speakers? I'm thinking to buy something like this as a gift for someone. Any other recommendation for a portable bluetooth speaker?

I haven't heard that particular speaker, but other similar speakers do in general sound much better than laptop speakers.