The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

Thanks for the help! :love:

I will look in to the link and start making my cover letter. Hopefully I can land the job.

Also cover letters shouldn't drag on, you need to pitch yourself and catch the attention of the employer. They look through a lot of applications which means they skim them quickly, so it's important to highlight your most important qualities and explain concisely why the employer should pay attention to you. Cover letters should be no more than a page long single spaced for entry level jobs.

Be careful specifying a salary amount. Too high and they'll laugh at you and too low and you'll be getting shafted. I dont think there's any advantage for you in naming a specific figure. If you absolutely must, then research the role with some job websites that provide salary overviews and pick a range that is in line with the average. Should probably say something along the lines of 'I expect to be paid a competitive retainer that is in alignment with my qualifications and skills'.

Last edited:
I was thinking stating an hourly wage instead of a salary as the job is part time with a possibility for full-time.

Really appreciate the tips! :love:

It's been a few days and I haven't been able to get in contact with the store manager. I'll try tomorrow afternoon...hoping I can get started soon.

Got called back. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!:?

Congrats!

Thanks. As much as i been loving the "do i have enough cash to go wherever i dam well please this week" Thing. I do kinda miss work. Unemployment has been ok tho. I like structure.

Good news, I start the new job at Gamestop tomorrow. I was told (and yes, it's all in who you know with this one) I will be getting the most hours off all of the part timers.

sigh, i missed the phone call from cvs earlier today. infuriating because she wont be in until next tuesday. bah.

Good news, I start the new job at Gamestop tomorrow. I was told (and yes, it's all in who you know with this one) I will be getting the most hours off all of the part timers.

thats great. congrats!

Keep your head up! You'll get in there next week and kill it!

Sooo finally got to meet with the manager of the dover store. She explained that I'll need to go to training for like 13 hours both in classs and on the computer: yep...a pharm. tech position.

TBH, it's something I didn't expect. There's a position below that that really requires no formal training and I thought this job opening was for that.

She warned that its pretty high paced but agreed that since I worked in a store for 5 years, and back in pharmacy before twice, that I'm likely used to it.

How do I feel? I'm nervously excited...excited because it'll be something new, nervous because I tend to let stress get to me...I don't know if I'll be able to handle it.

She did say that if I realized I couldn't handle it during the class/training sessions, to let her know and she'll try to put me up front for a few hours a week to stay active in the employee system for this fall when I return to ship.

I'm causiously optimistic. I have to wait for her to give the ok, but that should happen by Friday.

Congratulations! I believe that job has the luxury of chairs.

Congratulations! I believe that job has the luxury of chairs.

Thanks Katwalk!

Haha sometimes. At the register/drive through, definetly not, but at desks and such yes, there are chairs. :)

Anyone in the biological sciences, my company (specifically the Austin site) is filling about 25 positions as the result of a site shutdown in California. Everything from manufacturing to planning to management. An associates' degree is enough for some of the positions. PM me if interested.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was talking about getting into day trading a few months back and, well...it didn't work out. When I was playing with the demo, it was pretty easy to make risky moves because it's fake money, but once your real money is on the line, it's completely different. I started about a month ago and I did make a bit of a profit overall, but I don't think I can do it for a living. The stress that I experienced when I thought the chart will go one way, and it goes the other was monumental. You have to have serious self control to do this kind of thing.

Anyway, before day trading was recommended to me, I thought of getting some kind of job that involves driving, and I'm back to it now. It seems that the most popular job offers that require driving are courier jobs. I first wanted to try and get a job for a UPS-type company as a delivery driver, but there aren't many job offers and I heard it isn't very easy to get that kind of job without connections. I then went on Kijiji and saw that there are quite a few courier jobs that require the use of your own car and you get paid per delivery.

A friend of my brother was doing the same thing (delivering pharmaceutical products in his own car) and said he was making pretty good money (he quit his previous job as a unionized painter). He offered me a job about a year ago, but then I was still thinking about getting into the HVAC field (I spent 3 years in college and got 2 diplomas in HVAC, but couldn't pass the gas 2 license test). I asked my brother to contact him again to see if he has any job offerings; if he doesn't then I'm just gonna try to get one of those job offerings from Kijiji.

I'm going after this kind of job because I just like driving and why not get paid for doing something you like? I've always maintained that I would like a lower-paying job that I enjoy doing rather than a higher-paying job that I hate.

I'm going after this kind of job because I just like driving and why not get paid for doing something you like? I've always maintained that I would like a lower-paying job that I enjoy doing rather than a higher-paying job that I hate.

Very important words to live by, many people just don't get it. My dad included. He's already got plans for me to join him in working at the Navy Depot in IT but, while the job is relatively stable and I'd be making a decent income, it screams boredom. I'll never do it.

Very important words to live by, many people just don't get it. My dad included. He's already got plans for me to join him in working at the Navy Depot in IT but, while the job is relatively stable and I'd be making a decent income, it screams boredom. I'll never do it.

You're not allowed to complain about a job being boring if you're not employed :p

Actually if that pharmacy position is working out, I can understand where you're coming from... but my personal preference is boring over stressful.

I know we're different people but If I had that kind of opportunity, I would take it boredom and all. Although the working with a parent thing I'm not too big on. Actually I wouldn't mind working with my dad if I had to. It's my mom I wouldn't want to work with :?

You're not allowed to complain about a job being boring if you're not employed :p

Actually if that pharmacy position is working out, I can understand where you're coming from... but my personal preference is boring over stressful.

Touche :p Yeah I'm scheduled to start training. :)

I know we're different people but If I had that kind of opportunity, I would take it boredom and all. Although the working with a parent thing I'm not too big on. Actually I wouldn't mind working with my dad if I had to. It's my mom I wouldn't want to work with :?

haha I wouldn't be working with him persay in the same building, hell I don't even know what I'd be doing, but he really stresses that it's a good job to go into working there.

Bear in mind that doing something constantly can change your perception of it. Dad used to love driving, went out and bought a Lotus for the purpose of driving, now he spends vast amounts of time driving between sites and can't stand it. Hour after hours, day after day doing a repetitive task can become very tedious, I don't think I could do what he does. We get out of site and into the car and I invariably fall fall asleep after about 15mins and bash my head on the window.

He is little better to be honest, he once pulled over at the side of the road to sleep and woke up an hour and half later 70miles away with no recollection of how he got to his new location. When it gets to the point where you are driving around with the windows open and only driving over the cats-eyes is keeping you awake and you can't stop because driving is crucial to your wage and keeping you afloat in the world you aren't in a good position.

I'm still out of work, re-mastered my CV and sent off tons more applications but still not a single positive response, most places don't even bother telling me I've failed. Am now back at college one day a week which is causing some conflict regards me being on jobseekers/funding. Essentially I can get a fee-waiver due to being on benefits but if the job centre say I have to do a job I have to ditch the college course, I'm fairly sure that will leave me in seriously muddy waters regards debts if worst comes to worst.

haha I wouldn't be working with him persay in the same building, hell I don't even know what I'd be doing, but he really stresses that it's a good job to go into working there.

You could always look into it to decide if you want to go into it or not. Just to keep your options open.

EDIT: There's this job ad I keep seeing off and on since this past winter it feels like. I keep wondering why this company is constantly advertising for this position. Unless everyone they hired don't work out or the job/employer is shit and everyone leaves.

Last edited: