The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

I noticed that the only jobs in finance at the moment are basically in trading, I saw one private equity fund that is hiring. Give Amsterdam or Sydney a try if trading is your thing.

I love how when they make redundancies it's always a meeting right before the end of your shift, LOL.

I think they called him in just after he finished his dinner an' went "'Ere's the short end of the stick it's all yours now. Now, away wi' ya." I think he were more pissed off at the fact that he'd just made a cup of tea an' didn't get the chance to drink it. XD

I think they called him in just after he finished his dinner an' went "'Ere's the short end of the stick it's all yours now. Now, away wi' ya." I think he were more pissed off at the fact that he'd just made a cup of tea an' didn't get the chance to drink it. XD

When i was laid off with WH Smith last year, they gave me a letter at the start of the shift telling me of a meeting around 2 hours later. got in the meeting and within 10 seconds they were telling me they were showing me the door.

I noticed that the only jobs in finance at the moment are basically in trading, I saw one private equity fund that is hiring. Give Amsterdam or Sydney a try if trading is your thing.

Melbourne is a better bet for jobs than Sydney is at the moment

I'll share a bit of my experience, or frustration actually. I've been without a job since April and progress to get a new one has been excruciatingly slow. I worked at a hedge fund, which went bust and left me jobless. I have already 4 years of solid finance experience, but I'm currently in the wrong industry to be left without a job. All banks are currently laying off people by the hunders, if not thousands, so even though I'm willing to move to London or NYC, jobs are hard to come by.
http://www.jobs.ch/en/suche/Banking-Insurance/20/0
http://www.jobs.ch/en/suche/Finance-Trusts-Real-estate/9/0
~1500 jobs in each one (not in London or NYC, obviously). Many of them will require German or French knowledge, but it isn't the case for all. Frankfurt is another major financial centre in Europe, but I don't know anything about finding jobs there.

Last edited:
404 Pun not found.

Who are you and what have you done with the real NoNeedForAChestWig?

Srsly, some good advice there Wiggy.

They were a bit more nice about it. The vice ceo of the company and HR are real cool> same with a few of the team leads and what not. It for being a 150 man company was real close nit. The dude that is the floor manager walked around and called only a few people to the meeting. I already knew. Most didn't see it coming but i used to see all the orders and production number sheets. So... we get up to the meeting room and all sit down. I siad to Tom (The ceo) "Not looking good eh tom?" This guy is a great dude. He is an awesome old guy. Real Christian, doesn't curse, Just a nice guy. So when he is pacing a room tearing up its hard not to know. maybe it's just me being that i know these people and talk regularly with them But this made a few people that aren't as perceptive FREEK OUT. It's a tuff deal but keep it together. We all talked for about 20min. Me and the director of finance talked for about 30min about orders and shipping quota's. Its bad right now. But i wasn't pissed. Im more sad. Having all the women in my life jump ship, my friends lose composer. That job was my only stable thing. I like consistency. Im ok tho. I did love my job tho... In a way, i hope they call me back soon.. but at the same time, I want to further my carrer.

BUT OIE, WTF EVER. Im young, Lets make cool shit happen yea?
lol

I got downsized when Obama was inaugurated in Jan. 2009. I was working for LSI (which absorbed Agere, who I started out with) and true to their Bell Labs/Lucent heritage, when they kill a project they shitcan everybody who worked on it. I've been busting my ass at a string of startups for most of my career, and for the first time I got a decent severance package, which I've used to try to seek a new path and start my own business.

Unfortunately I've gone through about 3 or 4 different ideas and nothing has produced revenue, and I'm running out of money fast, so it's time to find a job. I have one last project I'm working on now which will also be a resume enhancer. But I want to move on, move up, to something else. I've been coding for almost 20 years and I've been doing it long enough to see what happens when you stay on the technical path too long, not to mention I've already been impacted by the effects of outsourcing.

Looking to move into some form of product management or possibly something entirely different. I'm sure not being employed since Jan. 09 is not going to help me, but I haven't had a day's rest and I've (unsuccessfully) tried to be an entrepreneur.

http://www.jobs.ch/en/suche/Banking-Insurance/20/0
http://www.jobs.ch/en/suche/Finance-Trusts-Real-estate/9/0
~1500 jobs in each one (not in London or NYC, obviously). Many of them will require German or French knowledge, but it isn't the case for all. Frankfurt is another major financial centre in Europe, but I don't know anything about finding jobs there.

Thanks, my background is in equity reserach, which cuts down the number of jobs quite significantly, but will certainly give it a try :).

I'm currently working part-time while studying at university. Had an interview with another (fairly prestigious) firm today, which went well.

I'm amazed by the amount of luck I'm having with interviews and assessment centers at the moment. I don't know what I'm doing, but it's working. And working well :)

A lot of it is having a positive attitude, I reckon. That and always going dressed waaaay smarter than you should. I always aim to be the best dressed candidate in the room to set a good impression. That and it scares the shit out of the other candidates.

I think I've whined enough about my situation that everyone knows what it is. Still nothing. Graduated with a BA in December.

FML.

I think I've whined enough about my situation that everyone knows what it is. Still nothing. Graduated with a BA in December.

FML.

Keep your chin up, there's gotta be something out there for you. Have you considered returning to school to get your masters? You could always become a film prof. or something.

Keep your chin up, there's gotta be something out there for you. Have you considered returning to school to get your masters? You could always become a film prof. or something.
I can't. Undergrad cost too much, and I doubt I'd make enough to justify the extra debt when I got out, either. The amount that universities are charging for tuition/fees now is completely ludicrous, and I can't help but feel sorry for anyone still stuck in college "paying" (or rather taking out loans for it) now. The higher education system in this country is completely out of touch with the reality that they're spitting graduates out into.

Besides, it's not the education I'm lacking for the jobs I want--it's the experience. I might as well start working on that now (well, if anywhere would ever hire me for some work).

I may try to pick up a few more freelance gigs again to pass the time until more permanent work becomes available, though. The sending and waiting game is killing me.

Yeah it's pretty horrible. Every kid out of high school is basically told you HAVE to go to college, totally mandatory, and you are guaranteed a decent paying job when you get out. Yeahhhh, not so much.

My sister has a 4year degree in social work... she works at a farm market making what i did when i was 17.

Yeah it's pretty horrible. Every kid out of high school is basically told you HAVE to go to college, totally mandatory, and you are guaranteed a decent paying job when you get out. Yeahhhh, not so much.

That's pretty much what I was told, in fact my tutors said that with my HNC and MCDST I could expect to get a decent tech support role earning 25k+.

Pffft, fuck off, no chance. I already knew they were talking crap before I looked at the job market! :lol: Without prior experience I probably couldn't get into that role with anything less than a degree, preferably with honours. :rolleyes:
I guess they just say it to stop people from losing motivation and dropping out...

University dropout, self-employed since 2002, business is good, people are still spending money, no one in my circle is looking for a job because they are all self-employed as well, some are even hiring.

Edit: Point being, self-employment isn't for everyone. However, we made our own jobs/careers and determine our own fates. As I said above, people are still spending money and that will only get better as they get over the recession paranoia.

Last edited:
allright, here's attempt two. the job in question is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/14837...&location=US, PA, Lewisberry&keywords=&page=1

http://img801.imageshack.**/img801/5927/my20resumeamazon20111.jpg

What do you guys think? Especially in regards to the education section. (my situation's a bit unique)

If I do get interviewed, what's the best way to explain that I'll be in school and would require reduced hours...this doesn't seem like a part-time gig in that respect, but everything else seems perfect. Especially the educational requirements.

EDIT: I'd include the horizontal "letter-head" style line at the top of course, but forgot it while editing.

Last edited: