• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Vote on the feature that was here yesterday and gone today: The Like feature.

If you don't know wtf this is about: Basically you could "Like" a post if you liked it and there was a small red text link on the bottom right of every post. Any likes received would be noted by a bigger status bar on the post.

However it disappeared because of the outpouring of negative feedback.

I feel though that the people that loved the feature or were nonchalant about it, didn't really voice their opinion. So this poll is for that.

If you want to comment about it, let me just throw in this admonition: NO WHINING. NO DIATRIBES. Speak with your mind, not your behind.

Btw this was made with approval from our overlord and leader Viper007Bond

Wasn't a huge fan of it to be honest, however if it returns with overwhelming support I won't make a fuss. Guess that makes me nonchalant ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong but the button was added to try and cut down on useless thread replys like: "what he said" "+1" "this" right?. Honestly I didn't realize it was a problem sure every now and again when someone makes a good point we get 4 or 5 of them spread along the way through the next 15 or so replies but it's not like i am seeing whole pages of "+1" etc etc. Is it really so bad that we need to add something like the Like button to get rid of what probably averages out to 1 or 2 replys for every 25 (if not less) and that presuposes that every single forum member immediately stops using the one line replies and switches to using the button which we know won't actually happen.

I guess all i am saying is that from my point of view it adds absolutely nothing to my Finalgear Forum experience. If people really feel like it is desperately needed then i guess bring it back but i just don't see the point.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but the button was added to try and cut down on useless thread replys like: "what he said" "+1" "this" right?

No you're wrong. It was added because it was on by default after a forum plugin upgrade. :)

No you're wrong. It was added because it was on by default after a forum plugin upgrade. :)

Oh in that case it serves absolutely zero purpose especially when we already have the rep system.

Is there a way to disable the notifications when someone likes your post?

Oh in that case it serves absolutely zero purpose especially when we already have the rep system.
Except the rep system is supposed to be for the cases when someone made an outstanding post in any way. It just isn't being used that way right now, instead people use it very lightly. That has led to enormous amounts of rep points for most long time users, which in turn renders the system useless.

The original idea is to use the like button when you like a post instead of putting in a reply, and to give rep when the post is either outstandingly good or extremely bad.

"Nonchalancy" here. The only thing I'd complain about really is the heart icon... I'd make it a thumbs up, not because of facebook or anything, but "liking" denoted by a heart just makes me think of romantic involvement and that's not what it's shooting for I think :p

"Nonchalancy" here. The only thing I'd complain about really is the heart icon... I'd make it a thumbs up, not because of facebook or anything, but "liking" denoted by a heart just makes me think of romantic involvement and that's not what it's shooting for I think :p

But Karoug seemed so genuine...:(

As features go the Like button is to FG what Jason Dawe is to TG, there ever so briefly but I won't miss it.

I vote no, but if we could change a few things, like using a little cog instead of a heart and just counting the number of likes instead of displaying a list of who clicked it, I wouldn?t mind.

In its former incarnation: no. It's a bulky design and the notifications got really old, really fast.
The idea of a like button: meh.

Reactions: MWF
So I guess it's a majority "no". Sadfaic, I liked the like button.

Put a link in Random Thoughts or somewhere and see if anyone else wants a vote. Not a lot of people read this bit of the forums.

It's too late atm, the poll is closed and plus I don't want to sound needy and whiny and shit, it's just an insignificant feature.

However I do think if something new like this were to crop up, the mods should put a sticky on top and a voting poll or something. Though I know so many people are resistant to change, so it might not be truly revealing.

Well, feel free to press my buttons anytime.

Some people do need to remember that it isn't a democracy :p But yes, a poll at some stage, but not first up. Otherwise I have the feeling that lots of stuff would get voted out before given a chance.

It's not so much a democracy as it is a lazy tyranny. :p

I know that the like button is very succesfull on YT, i think its a good idea to bring it back. It makes people feel free to give their opinion on other comments, and the forum guys can see what the minority or majority is in liking or disliking a comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.