The Meme Thread

I don't think it is, I've played in in the early-mid 90s as well in Vancouver, BC. It's possible that you didn't have an as-fulfilling childhood as you originally though :p

We didn't play it much on rain days, in kindergarten we'd go to the gym for hoppity-hops, or space hoppers for sane people, and in elementary we'd just chill in the class room and play cards or, if I brought them, race zip zaps.

You guys didn't get to go outside if it rained? :blink:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/02/24/o4vPk.jpg

Last edited:
I love those things! There wasn't any other use for them other than riding them and ramming into each other, right?

Last edited:

W-w-wait...yours had handles on 'em? In my day, we just grabbed onto the sides and rixked running over your own damned fingers.

Instead of heads up seven up, we played board games (Connect 4, Sorry!, etc) during indoor recess.

I'm sorry, but that i sad. We would play "battle ball" which is basically team dodge ball. It's probably a regional thing, but we called dodgeball where you had a small group of people standing against a wall, and another group throwing the balls at them. Same rules applied: if you caught it, you stayed in, and you swapped places with the person who threw the ball at you. This is a game for smaller groups, though. Many heads were bonked into the wall by flying rubber (no, not foam...we didn't have those back back then).

There was a time when our school was being eapanded, and the gym was used to house the grades 1-4 "classrooms" so during the winter when we would normally have "indoor gym" we went to the bowling ally a couple miles away via bus.

edit: Damnit...I'm getting recess and gym class mixed up...we usually did the same things, anyways. Except for the kids that hid in the brightly-painted concrete sewer tube sections to trade contraband Garbage Pail Kids.

Last edited:
Do you live in an area with absolutely no hills?
[interjecting self]

A) yes
B) you took scooters outside of the gym? oooh, I'm telling

and dodgeball seems to varies by region and school, but dodgeball variants that utilized scooters were by far the best. BOYS VERSUS GIRLS! :lol:

my favorite dodgeball variant - two very large teams, a huge pile of various sizes and shapes of ball, have at it. Plus there was some way that I can't remember to revive fallen teammates - drag them off the battlefield I think. We called it "Medic."

EDIT: ah yes only specifically designated medics could revive.

You probably don't know what these are either.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2011/02/24/safety-guard-scooter-boards-set-of-six.jpg

EDIT: I don't always post quadruples but when I do, check em!

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2011/02/24/Capture.JPG

my favorite dodgeball variant - two very large teams, a huge pile of various sizes and shapes of ball, have at it. Plus there was some way that I can't remember to revive fallen teammates - drag them off the battlefield I think. We called it "Medic."

EDIT: ah yes only specifically designated medics could revive.

I remember these things! <3
Shame gym class became boring and about sports or something in later grades <_<

I think it was more that if you get your clothes wet you will either have to go back to class cold and shivering and possibly get sick or go home and change. IIRC if it was light sprinkling they would let us out but a downpour, no way.
I also remember quite clearly wearing a fancy picture day dress and having to stand outside when it was like 30 out. :| Really not fun with bare legs or thin tights.

You kids are all damn spoiled, in my day, we walked 25 miles to school in a freezing blizzard, and when we got there, we had to build the school ourselves from the dead carcasses of our classmates who died on the way.....and we liked it!