The Music Thread

Just heard Tarjas new single. First impressions - pretty great imo.

Haven't listened to her much since I rediscovered metal, but I feel like this music style fits her voice a lot better than Nightwish did.

I did a thing. Purchased these due to the albums I found elsewhere was in low enough audio quality that it bugged me.

Attachments

• AC68BC43-CF64-4352-80A6-51CC5280B752.jpeg
    AC68BC43-CF64-4352-80A6-51CC5280B752.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 292
Three very good concerts. The Wacken one is very nice, but you can notice Floor is very new to the Nightwish repertoire, yet she still blows the crowd away, the Tampere one shows the band on their home turf, wonderful crowd interactions and a band having boatloads of fun and it shows, the Wembley one has the best setlist by a mile, and it has Dawkins reading his quotes from The Origin of Species live on stage.

All three of those shows are on Youtube in full and in decently high quality. I listen to at least 1 of them daily at work and stream another on my drive home from work.

Bloodstock 2018 is also pretty great

Wacken 2018 is on YT as well, but the mixing is way off and it just doesn't sound good

And some throwbacks

Was just discussing music and what bands I listen to with @thevictor390 and discovered an interesting statistic.

I mostly listen to metal and sent this fun map.
P5Yfzl.png

Then I checked where the bands I listen to most are from (copied from wiki):

• Nightwish is a symphonic metal band from Kitee, Finland.
  • Dark Moor is a Spanish neoclassical metal and symphonic power metal band from Madrid.
  • Aria (Russian: Ария) is a Russian heavy metal band that was formed in 1985 in Moscow.
  • Týr is a Faroese folk metal band.
  • Epica is a Dutch symphonic metal
  • Ancient Bards is an Italian symphonic metal band
  • Sabaton is a Swedish power metal band from Falun.
  • Powerwolf is a German power metal band
I find it interesting how I don't have a single country represented more than once. Also had no idea Ancient Bards were Italian.

I've been listening to some Dave Rodgers again, love the remixes he made of his old songs.

So, my favorite band of all time, Tool, is releasing their first album in 13 years at the end of the month.

They also just started streaming on various services, and released their first single today, "Fear Inoculum"

Someone also released a single today, band name "Fear Inoculum", single name "Tool"

Back to the actual single, it is amazing. Only criticism I have for now is that it sounds too much like the last album, the sound could have evolved more in all those years.

Followup, the full album has been out for 12 days now, and I've listen to it 15 times.

IMHO, it is absolutely amazing. Some of the songs have taken me a few listen to really get into them, but at this point I love every single real tracks of the album (as usual, Tool also include interludes or segue).

This is the order I would rank the tracks:

1- Culling Voices
2- Fear Inoculum
3- Pneuma
4- Descending
5- Invincible
6- 7empest

I've had Culling Voices playing in my head everyday of the past week (kinda ironic). Part of Invincible also.

Every member of the band are completely on top of their game, but the stand out performances are the drumming of Carey and the guitar work of Jones.

This is an album I can enjoy listening to through headphones, or blasting in my car.

Compared to the other Tool albums, I would rank it #2.

1- Ænima
2- Fear Inoculum
3- Lateralus
4- Undertow
5- 10,000 Days
6- Opiate

Exhorder released their first album in 27 years.
And holy shit it's awesome!

Followup, the full album has been out for 12 days now, and I've listen to it 15 times.

IMHO, it is absolutely amazing. Some of the songs have taken me a few listen to really get into them, but at this point I love every single real tracks of the album (as usual, Tool also include interludes or segue).

I'm still finding every opportunity to kick back with the NC headphones and experience the album from start to end. Love it. It's still Tool, and all the things that I love about the band, but its taken a step up in maturity. They're not angry anymore, but they're still passionate.

Just heard Tarjas new single. First impressions - pretty great imo.

Haven't listened to her much since I rediscovered metal, but I feel like this music style fits her voice a lot better than Nightwish did.
I've not listened to nightwish or Tarja in a long time, but I have to say this reminds me a lot of the old nightwish. Way more than the other solo stuff Turunen has done since. I did see nightwish live a few years ago with Floor Jansen, she is very good and a way better singer than Anette Olson who replaced Turunen originally.

Holy.... shit....

I've been on the lookout for mellow groovy stuff that's good for relaxing. Browsing Reddit I saw an animated gif of Anna de Armas and the creator posted the short video he used as a source. The video is essentially a long-format ad for liquor, but the song caught my ear; it was a cover of "3,000 Miles" by CHAMPS.

It's now on my playlist in regular rotation.