The NASCAR Poll

The NASCAR Poll

• Haven't seen a race, but I like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This really will end up being Americans versus everyone else so...
Let the games begin!

I've seen Nascar a few times, I've even raced on Nascar arcade machines ( :shock: ) and it seems pretty boring and lacking in the skill department.

I've seen it couple times, :sleeping:

Yeah I've seen a couple races over time. Haven't watched one in about 2-years +.

It is of no interest to me. They race mainly on oval tracks which is boring, IMO. They race in cars that all look the same and don't really look like anything I know and that adds a negative point to an important element of any motor race - what they race in.

And the main problem is there is only so much motorsport I can handle. WRC, F1's and then the all mighty V8Supercars keep me busy enough.

I watch Nascar when I can. I don't get Speed anymore, decided to stick with cable Internet instead, so Nascar isn't on "All the time" for me. I enjoy it. It's a different kind of motorsport, just like F1 is different from WRC. You just have to accept it for what it is.

I do find it funny when people claim it takes little or no skill. I guess I could make the same blind claim about F1 drivers. :p

West said:
TomCat said:
I do find it funny when people claim it takes little or no skill. I guess I could make the same blind claim about F1 drivers. :p

Ah yes, but F1 drivers turn right aswell as left.
That's a stupid argument. Theres plenty of skill required in racing a NASCAR - getting use to the limited outward visibility, using the slipstream correctly and setting up the car. I won't go into anymore detail but I just think it's silly to say theres little skill required.

This thread will probably end up very messy, but what the hell...

I'm a fan - sure some of the basic technology isn't the latest and greatest, but so what? The formula provides for close racing with plenty of action - and what's wrong with that?

As for claims of the drivers lacking in skill - take a look at Jeff Gordon's efforts in the Race of Champions.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
West said:
TomCat said:

Ah yes, but F1 drivers turn right aswell as left.
That's a stupid argument. Theres plenty of skill required in racing a NASCAR - getting use to the limited outward visibility, using the slipstream correctly and setting up the car. I won't go into anymore detail but I just think it's silly to say theres little skill required.

It was more of a joke than anything else...

Seen it many times and 9 times outta 10, I find it boring. It's like watching chess. All the important stuff (pitting, car setup, etc.) is kinda invisible on TV.

Now when they do the standard track races... THOSE are sweet.

Viper007Bond said:
Seen it many times and 9 times outta 10, I find it boring. It's like watching chess. All the important stuff (pitting, car setup, etc.) is kinda invisible on TV.

You could easily make the same criticism about F1.

i quite like it although the races are rarely shown here as far as i'm aware.
there is more action in oval racing than one might think with lots more overtaking than in F!. F1 really bored me.

I picked the last option.
Never ever seen a Nextel race... exept the movie Thunderdome but I dont think that gives a good picture of how the sport looks.
Seriously I find the idea of watching 30cars for many hours just going in circles vomit enducing.

ryosuke said:
i quite like it although the races are rarely shown here as far as i'm aware.
there is more action in oval racing than one might think with lots more overtaking than in F!. F1 really bored me.
IF and I say IF F1 would race on Ovals just turning left all day only two things will happen. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW, Toyota, Honda would be at the front fighting for the win. The weaker teams would be left behind.
Face it, when it somes to maximum speed the top teams wich have factory support are all fast.

Drivers skills would be completely meaningless. I have read on some places on the internet that they consider the current NAsCAR driver "Absolutely the best driver on earth." Lol. Thats all just a lol. I can take left turns too but I dont think I can race like Kimi.

-Cpt. J.- said:
Drivers skills would be completely meaningless. I have read on some places on the internet that they consider the current NAsCAR driver "Absolutely the best driver on earth." Lol. Thats all just a lol. I can take left turns too but I dont think I can race like Kimi.

Sure, if only 12 cars that are assisted by all the electronic gadgetry you could possible think of were the only cars running competitively. The greatest technological automotive acheivements in the world, you'd only get a decent race on the short tracks.

But when you have 43 cars, of which at least 30 of them are running competitively, you make things a bit more interesting, and difficult. Now take away all that down force, difficulty increases. Now take away all the driver aids, the stability/traction control, the uber brakes of doom, the steering wheel that's more powerful than a consumer level lap top, difficulty increases even more. Now take away the flappy paddles and replace them with a clutch and stick, difficulty increases slightly more. Now, double, maybe even triple the wieght of the car. Put a nice big steel cage around yourself.

Now to help you out, we'll let you have a spotter to let you kow just incase there's someone next to you in your blind spots, just to be fair, you know. Have fun turning left...

I'm not going to say that one driver or the other is the best in the world (as that's always arguable), but the skills possessed by the top running stock car drivers still demand respect. Remember, half these guys also run in Grand Am races occasionally. And besides, if all you had to do was turn left, I think most Americans would be Nextel champs by now...

YF19pilot said:
-Cpt. J.- said:

Sure, if only 12 cars that are assisted by all the electronic gadgetry you could possible think of were the only cars running competitively. The greatest technological automotive acheivements in the world, you'd only get a decent race on the short tracks.

But when you have 43 cars, of which at least 30 of them are running competitively, you make things a bit more interesting, and difficult. Now take away all that down force, difficulty increases. Now take away all the driver aids, the stability/traction control, the uber brakes of doom, the steering wheel that's more powerful than a consumer level lap top, difficulty increases even more. Now take away the flappy paddles and replace them with a clutch and stick, difficulty increases slightly more. Now, double, maybe even triple the wieght of the car. Put a nice big steel cage around yourself.

Now to help you out, we'll let you have a spotter to let you kow just incase there's someone next to you in your blind spots, just to be fair, you know. Have fun turning left...

I'm not going to say that one driver or the other is the best in the world (as that's always arguable), but the skills possessed by the top running stock car drivers still demand respect. Remember, half these guys also run in Grand Am races occasionally. And besides, if all you had to do was turn left, I think most Americans would be Nextel champs by now...
I dont think I can ever accept professional racing driver to be a man that spends most of his time foot straight and just turns left. And forget about blind spots... thats is just nitpicking. Im not saying I could be as fast in NASCAR as the drivers there, Im sure I wouldnt.

But put Schumacher in your fat, heavy metal car. A man that has proven to the world he is at the top. I dont think he would need driver aids to go around in circles with a "racing" car thats 3x heavier than a F1 car. Oh and by the way personally I find the low technology on NASCAR race cars pathetic.

Anyway, I think I made this thread go offoptic...
I know theres more overtakind in NASCAR... as I said I've never seen a race but I dont think I have missed anything spectacular. I would imagine Overtaking happens when 2 or 3 cars drive close to eachother and when the "corner" comes, the ones that want to go past the slower car go either up or down. Then the slower car gets a pull from the other two and he overtakes.

As I said I dont think I have missed anything good.

ive actually tried to force myself to watch it. After 10 laps, im bored out of my mind

i have say i didn?t get it at first but after watching it as an overall event not just the driving but the pit and the engineering (limited artificially as it is) and started to warm to it. Then i went to the Pocono?s and the Watkins Glen (road course where there are rights and lefts) and man was it great.

I know that other forms of racing are fun too but its ridiculous to cut out nascar because its more simple. If your really looking for fun then i would say figure 8 races make WRC for chickens.

Oh well...it's just a matter of time until someone mentions leaf springs and all hell brakes loose...oh wait, I think I just did... :roll:

I must say I'm a bit surprised, this is not nearly as bad as I thought.

I had gotten the distinct impression that a lot of the NASCAR haters had not seen a race, or had never given it a chance or didn't really know anything about it.
It looks like there is some of that, but not nearly as much as I expected.

I guess it really just is mostly a case of "different people, different tastes".

I dislike it when people criticize something that they haven't watched, or know nothing about.
For example I recently watched "the office" (US version) because I heard many people rave about it.
Now after 5 minutes of watching it, I thought: well this isn't really funny.
But I didn't turn it off, I finished watching it, and watched two more episodes to give it a chance.
Unfortunately I didn't laugh once during any of it, but the point is that at least I gave it a chance.