The new-ish Jaguar XF: how do you find it?

The new-ish Jaguar XF: how do you find it?

• Total voters

freefall

Car(s)
MX-5 NC
After a somewhat heated discussion on current Jaguar design and who should have done what and whatnot, I decided to see what is the general perception of the new XF(R). We're talking exterior only!

EDIT: Voting So-so and below automatically implies that they shouldn't have made it this way, including possibly outsourcing the design job to someone else.

Pardon the slightly grainy images.

nl7tpz.jpg

28hmwz6.jpg

25q57q1.jpg

oj2d8h.jpg

29ymh53.jpg

2dchlb9.jpg

Last edited:
It's fine. I would be lying if I said it was ugly, it's certainly rather handsome, but it's just so booooring and nondescript. Looks like any generic American or Asian sedan. If I didn't know it was a Jag I'd probably think "hey that Toyota/US Market Ford doesn't look too bad at all for a Toyota/US Market Ford."

But it doesn't look distinctly European/British, which I think a Jaguar should.

EDIT: I kind of like the curves of the X-Type. From the back at least I find it quite Jaguarish.

Last edited:
Just to put things into perspective: the car it has replaced - the Jaguar S-Type - looks like this:

800px-2001_Jaguar_S-Type.JPG

And I voted 'Good' only because I think they should've lifted the headlamps straight off the concept.

The XF pictures above are flattering.

I saw a couple of them in the flesh by now (not too many, since the sales are low here) and I think it looks a bit disproportionate.

It's not as badly disproportionate as for example the Porsche Panamera but still all in all not an entirely convincing design. All in all I think it is a rather "Asian"-looking. Some details look fine but as the picture of the S-Type above demonstrates, it could have been worse :)

But also much better.

So I voted "so-so".

Last edited:
In the UK, I think it fits in a bit better. We don't have the US market spec stuff, so it can't blend in with those. We do have plenty of Lexii though. I wouldn't agree with ^ though - they look much better in the flesh on the roads (especially in R spec)

I voted Brilliant because for the moment I think it to be so, but I can easily see it falling down that list within not many years.

I wouldn't agree with ^ though - they look much better in the flesh on the roads (especially in R spec).

Same for me (haven't seen the R, though) - they look quite looong and quite low. In a Jaguar-ish way.

I like it a lot, I think it looks even better in person. Either way it's a hell of a lot better looking than the boring S-type it replaces.

I think it looks gorgeous and i havent been a fan of any of the latest jags for years but now theres at least one i like

Spectre Ian Callum thread derail in 3, 2, 1...

No need - because no matter how this poll goes, I guarantee that almost nobody saying they like it is actually going to buy one.

And the market evidently agrees with me as to whether it's a good design or not.

^ But thats not the point of the poll - this is to find out whether we like the look of it. You can dislike the looks of a car but still buy it (although not if its absolutely terrible looking, obviously), and vice versa. The Range Rover Sport is a good looking car but I wouldn't have one. I wouldn't even have a normal one - I'd go for a Defender.

If the poll was 'I give you ?100k to spend on a car, will you spend it on an XFR?' then my answer would undoubtably be yes. However you are right in that if it came to the lower models (and you offered me ?50k), I would have to think about it, and would probably end up with an S5, which the XF is just as good looking as, but I'd rather the Audi for many reasons.

Last edited:
I really like the styling, but only on this car. It's not a design that's good enough to be manipulated and thrown onto other cars like the XJ.