The "New Toys" Thread

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
It can also be a health matter, especially as you get older. A bad keyboard can do all sorts of things to me between tripping off an episode of carpal tunnel syndrome to simply making my hands from fingers to wrists hurt - and I'm not someone who hammers the keys as if my fingers were meat-sledgehammers. There's a lot of people out there like this, too - or that have it even worse.

The more time you spend using a keyboard, the more important the qualities of that keyboard become. And much like a good car, once you try out a really good keyboard, you won't want to go back to crappy ones.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
The old 5S was getting really slow and laggy and when Junior borked his S7 Edge last week I decided it was high time he learned to look after things and buy his own phone in future now he has a paper round. He is now putting up with the iPotato and on the recommendation of a colleague whose previous role was 8 years selling cellphones I now have an Honor 10 Lite.

Yes, I know it's Huawei and their budget brand at that but it's one hell of a phone for just £160. 64GB of memory, fast processor and a 24MP camera all as standard.

If you're in the market for a new phone and aren't a diehard Apple fanboi or gurl I can seriously recommend checking it out.

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
My mom's DSLR was gathering dust in a corner, so last week I asked her how much she wanted for the stuff. So now I own a fairly decent set of 10ish year-old Olympus DSLR gear:

• E420 body
  • Zuiko Digital 17.5-45mm 1:3.5-5.6
  • Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6
  • Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:40-5.6
  • Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 "pancake"
  • FL-36R flash
  • 2 CF cards (8 and 4GB)

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
which does what?
You say "hey google", then follow it up with a command like play music or read the news or tell me my itinerary for the day, etc... It's a neat gizmo that I wonder how long it'll take for me to get bored with.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't free.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Prime day is dangerous.

Got this with the 'adventure kit', that I will likely sell, for a decent discount. To be used alongside (but realistically instead of) my Hero 5 Black. First impression: The touch screen is much better.

Then got a heavy discount on this after almost buying a more expensive Crucial SSD that was on sale before this. Currently in a USB 3.0 enclosure, awaiting roadtrip videos but will then be moved to my PC.

Not a prime day deal and not really tech I suppose but fuck it. When eBay was offering 20% off the other week I added one of these little beauties to my line up of cordless tools. Already used it and it's brilliant. DGA513 in the UK.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
You say "hey google", then follow it up with a command like play music or read the news or tell me my itinerary for the day, etc... It's a neat gizmo that I wonder how long it'll take for me to get bored with.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't free.
Oh, ok
It's one of those "privacy is sooo overrated"-devices :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
APC BackUPS RS1500 with fresh batteries to replace APC BackUPS XS1500 while I figure out why the latter was exhibiting audible transformer ringing.

32gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 RAM for cheeeeap to upgrade my old Hackintosh build all the way before DDR3 starts getting more expensive and rare due to everyone moving to DDR4 and the end of high performance DDR3 production.

Last edited:

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • 2x8 GB DDR4-3200
  • ASRock B450 Pro4
Those will succeed the aging ASRock B85 Pro4 with Core i5-4460 and 8 GB RAM in my current PC while these three components will live on in my mum's PC who has an even more aging Pentium Dual Core E2220 and just 4 GB RAM.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Welcome to the red side. Muhahaha. lol

My 1700x is great. I am even looking at building a HTPC with a second generation Ryzen 3 or 5. I would also like to build a third generation system, but that will probably wait for next year.