The "New Toys" Thread

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Ordered one of these, a Sony UBP-X500 UHD Blu-Ray player.

Now, I already have an external UHD BD-R drive for my PC, one I paid to have imported from Japan. However, thanks to NVIDIA and stupid DRM, it's an absolute ballache to actually watch any UHD content on the PC as it only works with Intel graphics and there's always a driver issue that needs resolving before it works.

This will sit where my Xbox One sits now and it had damn well make the experience a lot better. It's the cheapest and most basic of the X series players, without any smart features at all. I'm connecting it to a smart TV that also has a smart cable STB and a PC connected, so I didn't need to pay for any of those features. I just got Blue Planet II and Planet Earth II to add to my other UHD stuff so I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'll be selling the BD-R drive, it's a Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD and is a great drive, if a bit noisy for watching films. It's just the software that lets it down. If anyone is interested in it for disc creation or data storage on Blu-Ray discs (it'll write 128GB BD-QL discs) then let me know or it'll probably go on eBay.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Those things still exist?
Disc players? Yeah, I think they'll be around for a bit longer. IMO, UHD content on streaming services isn't quite there yet, either because it isn't available or doesn't meet the quality/performance/convenience of a disc. I've watched many UHD Grand Tour episodes, for example, and the server couldn't seem to keep up and the quality kept dropping down. Some of the connection speeds I've seen quoted on this forum from around the world probably aren't up to the job either, the disc I'm watching is averaging 30Mbps.

It's now here, installed and it's exactly what I wanted. It just works, unlike the old solution. It also unlocks the extra options that were disabled on the PC connection, so I can switch on motion smoothing for things like Blue Planet II. It looks fantastic. It's also very quiet, another big plus.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
IMO, UHD content on streaming services isn't quite there yet, either because it isn't available or doesn't meet the quality/performance/convenience of a disc.
i honestly don't care
from the moment i get 720p, i'm happy, all the rest is just overkill

i can't remember the last time i watched something on disc, must be more than 5 years ago
(and since i don't have a DVD/bluRay player, that will probably remain that way :D)

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
My olde Creative I-Trigue set was getting really old, and the sound was deteriorating, so when my mom said she wanted to get rid of the old 5.1 home-cinema-in-a-box set, I jumped that offer.

Sony DAV-S550, currently fed through an analog 2.0 cable with prologic doing its best to make 5.1-ish of it. The motherboard I'm eyeing for the upgrade has optical audio out, so I can connect that when that happens. And as an extra upside I have an even better monitor support.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Ordered one of these, a Sony UBP-X500 UHD Blu-Ray player.

Now, I already have an external UHD BD-R drive for my PC, one I paid to have imported from Japan. However, thanks to NVIDIA and stupid DRM, it's an absolute ballache to actually watch any UHD content on the PC as it only works with Intel graphics and there's always a driver issue that needs resolving before it works.

This will sit where my Xbox One sits now and it had damn well make the experience a lot better. It's the cheapest and most basic of the X series players, without any smart features at all. I'm connecting it to a smart TV that also has a smart cable STB and a PC connected, so I didn't need to pay for any of those features. I just got Blue Planet II and Planet Earth II to add to my other UHD stuff so I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'll be selling the BD-R drive, it's a Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD and is a great drive, if a bit noisy for watching films. It's just the software that lets it down. If anyone is interested in it for disc creation or data storage on Blu-Ray discs (it'll write 128GB BD-QL discs) then let me know or it'll probably go on eBay.
nice! I had a similar problem with a PC i built in 2013. I thought blu-ray would play as easily as DVD did and oh how I was wrong.

Tram13

A Dell UltraSharp U2717D monitor to use as an external monitor for my laptop for the time being, and then as a computer monitor when I build a PC or get a used workstation next year. Haven't tested it yet because I forgot to bring my HDMI-to-HDMI cable, but from what I read on the internet, this should be pretty much the best bang for the buck in the category I was aiming for.

Redliner

Forum Addict
DONOR
I bought a Xiaomi MI Band 4.

At 40 bucks, it's not a huge loss if I end up disliking it, and I like the idea of tracking my heart rate, steps, etc.