The "New Toys" Thread

Bit boring I know, but it will help me out a lot :)

51jtwLvRjuL._AA280_.jpg

Yup, they are indeed really useful. Got one for almost all my different lens sizes now - only one more to get, a 78mm. (lens diameter)

What do they mean by 'designed exclusively for digital cameras'?

Not too sure lol, but ive got a digital camera, so I think im on the right track ;)
P.S. Tip - I don't know where you get ures from but I imagine a 78mm filter will be fekin expensive retail. I would recommend ebay.
That 77mm polarizer is in excess of ?130 at jessops (UK), I got it for ?40 from ebay (inc. delivery which was about 4 days from japan!)
Just make sure they seller is rebutable and has a lot of good feedback.

And what does it do except of making you look like a real pro? ;)

LOL, errr well, to put it simply, it helps produce prettier photos. You get better contrast and saturation in the skies, and a richer colour in landscape shots. Also, for automotive shots, it helps reduce nasty reflections.

Example:

circular_polariser_filter.jpg

500px-CircularPolarizer.jpg

Wouldn't properly setting white-balance, and light temperature settings achieve the same results? (Sorry, I'm naive...I don't even own a camera at the moment.

A polarizer can also remove reflections from a shiny surface aimed the right angle, for instance, filming through a window.

Wouldn't properly setting white-balance, and light temperature settings achieve the same results? (Sorry, I'm naive...I don't even own a camera at the moment.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooo.

Really Long Answer: A polarizing filter actually restricts the light entering the camera lens and therefore hitting the sensor. It allows light from certain angles only, and thus can be used to make skies bluer, images more contrasty, and make glass reflective or clear. The polarizer can be rotated to change the effect.

Now explain linear vs. circular polarizer (like Shadowness got).
How would rotating circular polarizer change anything? Or am I being confused with term circular?

Linear vs. Circular is really just a different mechanism for polarization, but the effect is the same. Circular polarizers supposedly work better on AF cameras than linear polarizers.

I have polaroid sunglasses, and I know that they reduce glare and reflections. So instead of looking at reflected light in other car's windows, I can see inside.

Great for stalking in parks.

Seriously though, they're cool. Though since they filter a lot of stuff, if I turn my phone sideways to take a picture (k750), I can't see the screen. Same happens with LCD screens. Tilt my head sideways, and I see a black screen.

Polarize filters are cool, never knew that it had a cool effect on pictures too. However I think the difference that shadowness points out would be easy to reproduce with some saturation and contrast in photoshop. Not the reflections, off course.

^^ To a certain extent yes, but in my personal view as a photographer, it's ALWAYS better to produce a photo that's as near as you want it to look like when finished, and not always rely on 'photoshop will fix that!'.

Cheers Dan - yeah I've found normal retail prices to be silly.
So far I've been getting them from the third-party sellers on Amazon - they seem to be really competitive pricewise...

P.S. Tip - I don't know where you get ures from but I imagine a 78mm filter will be fekin expensive retail. I would recommend ebay.
That 77mm polarizer is in excess of ?130 at jessops (UK), I got it for ?40 from ebay (inc. delivery which was about 4 days from japan!)
Just make sure they seller is rebutable and has a lot of good feedback.

Polarize filters are cool, never knew that it had a cool effect on pictures too. However I think the difference that shadowness points out would be easy to reproduce with some saturation and contrast in photoshop. Not the reflections, off course.

In all honesty, no. The effect is so profound in many situations that it would take literally hours to reproduce in Photoshop.

Linear vs. Circular is really just a different mechanism for polarization, but the effect is the same. Circular polarizers supposedly work better on AF cameras than linear polarizers.

Yes, I know that :) What I was wondering about is how rotating a circular polarizer will change anything if it's rotation-symmetric around it's axis. Or so I though circular polarizers are.