The "New Toys" Thread

The iPod Touch comes in a 32GB version. Not as much space, but much smaller and way more uber (IRC, IM'ing, games, etc.).

With the added bonus of it not being able to play any kind of video you throw at it, has a puny screen (compared to the HUGE one of the q5w), doesn't have usb host, etc etc etc...

Don't bait me, bro!

You don't get it. I don't want a program to replace shiTunes. I want the thing to just be recognized as an HDD when i plug it into the usb.

what exactly don't I get? Before itunes even existed on windows, xplay was there to let you use mac formatted iPods. They show up as hard disks in explorer and you drag and drop your music on it. You can also drag and drop data files too. And you can copy stuff OFF the iPod too. TBH I don't know if its been updated for iPhone & itouch.

With the added bonus of it not being able to play any kind of video you throw at it, has a puny screen (compared to the HUGE one of the q5w), doesn't have usb host, etc etc etc...

Don't bait me, bro!

Indeed, I wish it would play more stuff natively. Still though, a quick 15-20 min / hour of video convert isn't bad at all.

As for the screen, sure, it's smaller, but so is the device. The entire thing is screen, so if I wanted a bigger screen, it'd be a bigger device.

Plus, the pixels-per-inch is insane -- better than your monitor or the Cowon. Seriously, looking at it in person, it's quite nuts.

what exactly don't I get? Before itunes even existed on windows, xplay was there to let you use mac formatted iPods. They show up as hard disks in explorer and you drag and drop your music on it. You can also drag and drop data files too. And you can copy stuff OFF the iPod too. TBH I don't know if its been updated for iPhone & itouch.
Hmm... sounds interresting. Can anyone with an iPhone test this? :)

no need: From their site...

Very compatible
Works with Windows XP, Vista, Vista Media Center and with nearly all iPod models, both Mac and PC.
(not compatible with touch, iPhone)

Dammit, its me again: It didn't properly sync my outlook calender. Only the F1 race dates, and a few other, but not enough so that I could recognize a pattern.

Also: I'm using Itunes 7.5 since I read that its better for the unlock and jb and stuff. Can I update now? Maybe that'll help my sync probs a bit.

Also, do you guys use any bags or protection for your Iphones? If so, any recommendations?

well I have close to 100GB of music, and even if I rarely listen to most of it it would be nice to have the option to bring tha majority when I am travelling, then with videos and pictures etc it fills up fast.

Is the Ipod Classic the only one over 100GB?

Aye.

n82.jpg

Ordered today, should arrive on caturday. <3

My dad wants to buy an unlocked iPhone. Can someone tell me if you'll be able to do the Apple updates with a software unlock? Will you have to jailbreak and unlock the phone features all over again?

My dad wants to buy an unlocked iPhone. Can someone tell me if you'll be able to do the Apple updates with a software unlock? Will you have to jailbreak and unlock the phone features all over again?
That's kind of been the cycle. Most unlocked users just wait till the new hack comes out, then sit down and do it in 20min. You don't get the newest features immeadiately, but you will eventually. Apple isn't hell bent on breaking the unlocks like you'd think they are, so it just takes a couple of weeks per patch.

For ipods Floola ( Download )is a good alternative to those who hate iTunes
Except Touches / iPhones.

In all other iPods, there's an option to enable file access so you can treat it as a USB mass storage device. There were tons of programs out there (including Winamp) that would stick the MP3s on there and update the database while it was at it so that it didn't take 4 hours to browse though your stuff (yes Ice, with the album artwork view, etc. etc, it would take that long without a cache file).

You have to use iTunes with your iPod Touch / iPhone. I'm told iTunes actually isn't that bad on Mac OS which is a shame as it's the shittiest thing EVER on Windows.

I'm told iTunes actually isn't that bad on Mac OS which is a shame as it's the shittiest thing EVER on Windows.

Could be worse. I'm giving it a try for a while.

@Shawn: All current FWs can be broken and everything, but when you update to a new one, its locked and jailed again!
But every phone you buy now can be unlocked, AFAIK. As you are based in Vancouver: Just go to the States to an Apple shop and but a locked one and do it yourself. These days its rather easy after a day of reading around, and I guess you'll save a few bucks!

I made a thread for the Iphone\touch questions, lets not clutter this one any moreI know I've been the worst anyway ;-) http://forums.finalgear.com/technology/the-iphone-touch-help-thread-25590/

iTunes is *ok* on OS X. It's still a bit bloated feeling, but nowhere near as bad as it is on windows.