The "New Toys" Thread

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
Or something like this.

Honestly, for the price, how bad can it be? It should be reasonably responsive per the specs and could be handy as a little internet pad for the living room or something. My dad is looking for such a device....

Quiky

Isn't really scary, honest
STAFF MEMBER
Only catch is that 10" has a resistive screen, which means you can touch it with anything and it will respond.

This is a 7" model with a capacitive screen (iPad/iPhone-like). $190 with shipping.

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
Only catch is that 10" has a resistive screen, which means you can touch it with anything and it will respond.

This is a 7" model with a capacitive screen (iPad/iPhone-like). $190 with shipping.
Both pretty good deals, I'll talk it over with him. Thanks!

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
So my dad finally got tired of me wither using his laptop or complaining about my faithful good old desktop (I do mean old, 2003 old) So he got me this

2GB DDR3 Ram
320GB HDD
1.50 GHz Atom N550

All better than my desktop

Windows 7 Starter

How do you go around to installing home basic on one of these?

smib

is a big honkin' homo
Car(s)
2010 Mazda3
No way an N550 is better than what you had. But installing Basic requires a different key, or a peg leg.

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
It was a socket-478 2.4 GHz Celeron single core. So there

I'll just stuff home premium from a USB drive. thanks to ZeDe for that BTW

Last edited:

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V

I did it! :D It's mine, it's all mine. :p Nexus S, Android and endless amounts of ''son, I am impressed''. It's every bit as good as everyone says...and I've only been using it for half an hour. Still have the task of grasping how to do this and that, but surely it'll be a breeze.

Pic taken with it, I tok it in a shit environment on purpose and it's still a perfectly presentalbe pic. I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
It was a socket-478 2.4 GHz Celeron single core. So there

I'll just stuff home premium from a USB drive. thanks to ZeDe for that BTW
There is no Home Basic for Windows 7 anyway. Also Atoms really are terrible but at least yours is a dual-core. My single-core Atom N270 1.6 wasn't much more powerful than the 0.9 GHz Celeron it replaced..... some garbage about ultra-low voltage and in-order processing.

smib

is a big honkin' homo
Car(s)
2010 Mazda3
Depends on the Celeron though. Newer ones are based on the same architecture as the C2S chips, and are several times more powerful than older ones. I don't know what year this started happening, but if it's socket 478 then it may be the old kind, which actually is slower than an N550 according to benchmarks.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
There is no Home Basic for Windows 7 anyway. Also Atoms really are terrible but at least yours is a dual-core. My single-core Atom N270 1.6 wasn't much more powerful than the 0.9 GHz Celeron it replaced..... some garbage about ultra-low voltage and in-order processing.
Home Basic is available in "emerging markets". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Home_Basic#Main_editions

Gascc should have no issue running Home Premium on an Atom. My n270 runs it just fine.

Depends on the Celeron though. Newer ones are based on the same architecture as the C2S chips, and are several times more powerful than older ones. I don't know what year this started happening, but if it's socket 478 then it may be the old kind, which actually is slower than an N550 according to benchmarks.
There are also Celeron Dual-Core's as well. :nod:

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
My netbook (currently in use as a wi-fi card for my desktop) is an N270 machine running Home Premium. It's frustratingly slow but it's no worse than XP was on the same system. Still, it's the main reason I went for a new tablet. 720p is gorgeous on a 10" screen when it's not a slideshow :)

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
My old G5 was having problems, so I picked up this.

I love it, because it feels exactly like the G5.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
If my G5 hadn't started to act up, I probably would have never replaced it. Also, the G500 is cheap compared to the high end wireless mice.

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
Home Basic is available in "emerging markets". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Home_Basic#Main_editions

Gascc should have no issue running Home Premium on an Atom. My n270 runs it just fine.
My netbook (currently in use as a wi-fi card for my desktop) is an N270 machine running Home Premium. It's frustratingly slow but it's no worse than XP was on the same system. Still, it's the main reason I went for a new tablet. 720p is gorgeous on a 10" screen when it's not a slideshow :)
My desktop wouldn't play 480p on youtube. 360p was laggy. The N550 plays 720p with little to no lag. We'll see with home premium.

ZeDestructor

#gear, irc.finalgear.com, .mu, .earth, .???
Car(s)
1994 Toyota Tercel

I did it! :D It's mine, it's all mine. :p Nexus S, Android and endless amounts of ''son, I am impressed''. It's every bit as good as everyone says...and I've only been using it for half an hour. Still have the task of grasping how to do this and that, but surely it'll be a breeze.

Pic taken with it, I tok it in a shit environment on purpose and it's still a perfectly presentalbe pic. I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..
^5. Is yours a GT-i9020 or GT-i9023 like mine (AMOLED vs SLCD)?

Also, hurry up and put in some Custom firmware. Mine is over twice as fast with CFW only and over 2.5x as fast when I add a Overclocking (from benchmarks) :D

Intel Wi-Fi Link 6300 Ultimate. Getting sick and tired of the crap performance of the RTL8191SE in this laptop.
\o/ He went for the awesome chip!

My old G5 was having problems, so I picked up this.

I love it, because it feels exactly like the G5.
Welcome to ze G5/G500 owners club.

God dam everyone is getting one I feel the need to get one too.....

Hefty price tag though :(
50USD (or equivalent in most places) isn't *that* expensive...