The "New Toys" Thread

Tryouts as in testing a few phones.

Subjectively, the 5s felt like the best compromise between size, price, my tendencies towards Apple and overall feel of quality.

Yes, but how do you manage to get phones for "tryouts"?

Also how'd you like the Samsung 5S copy?

Buying low and reselling high I guess, the Alpha I got for free with a new contract. Also a little bit of ordering from Amazon and sending it back (Z3c). I'm stupid like that.

The Alpha is alright, certainly the best feel in hand I got from any Samsung so far. But it's still not as nice as an iPhone or HTC for that matter. In the end it came down between the Z3c and the 5s.

Got a 24" Benq RL2455HM monitor to replace my old 19" Samsung:

-Full Hd and 1ms :D

BenQ-RL2455HM.png

How are the bugs? I hear nasty things even for the consoles....

I havent played it yet. I'm still playing Masterchief collection and Sunset Overdrive. I just bought it now because I'm going all digital and sales on digital xbox one games are few and far between.

From what I've heard, the bugs are greatly exaggerated on consoles. The PC version is the one getting all the bad press.

7" TFT Touchscreen, 65.000 colors
CPU (transistor outputs), 18DU+12DI
Power supply 24 VDC, 60 W
+ cables, software . . . Cheap but hella useful.

WP_20141126_13_00_33_Pro.jpg

Recently we used a similar package as this one, only smaller touchscreen and PLC with less inputs/outputs :

WP_20141027_15_12_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20141029_15_23_36_Pro.jpg

Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD to replace my laptop's 120GB 840EVO. The 120GB one went into my parents' laptop.

Last edited:
Got em all for 5$ each, waiting for the rest of the old ones to be on sale at a similar price to grab them, as well as any DLC

So I caved in and bought a thing...

GTX-970-GAMING4G_Box-Card.png

(The 980 was outside my budget.)

Should arrive sometime next week. It's replacing my aging 6950.

It's replacing my aging 6950.

And here I am still sitting on a 5850, thinking about an upgrade... Why, oh why isn't the 960 out yet. The 970 cards are _just_ outside of what I deem a reasonable graphics card budget.

Maybe if a really good deal comes around on Monday somewhere, I'll cave in too.

The 980 is unjustifiable if you have any sort of budget, my main reason for going for one was 1440p vs 1080p, and that I will add another down the line, so a single 970 didn't work for me. I recommend anyone looking at nvidias a 970 and tell them I have a 980 to drive home the point. It's an excellent price for what you get and a good card

I'm living in the good old US-and-A again so I needed to get myself set up with a mobile phone. If the big names (Verizon, AT&T) think I'm okay with paying at least $60/month plus the $20+ for the subsidized phone on a two-year contract they can go fuck themselves. Shopping around for a reasonable deal led to me Virgin Mobile and their no-contract plan of unlimited text and data (2.5GB/month of which is 4G) and 300 talk minutes all for $35 per month. It runs off the Sprint network so coverage won't be an issue. Unfortunately however this meant that I had to get a new phone to work with their network and to take advantage of that sweet, sweet 4G LTE. I wasn't too upset though because my old Galaxy S3 was starting to show its age. Here's the replacement:

HTC Desire 816. So far I love it! The sheer size is taking some getting used to but it's really not much bigger than my Galaxy. Everything runs buttery-smooth and the display is crisp enough for my needs. I really like a lot of HTC's UI features and find almost all of them useful and intuitive; I couldn't say the same for Samsung. The standalone 'Driving Mode' launcher is a really cool touch since it presents all the nice-to-have travel apps (Maps, music player, etc.) in large buttons. On the downside the phone does feel a bit toy-like with its shiny plastic back and the button placement is a little awkward with the volume rocker being vague at best. I'm really just nitpicking with these downsides because they aren't really big issues for me. All this goodness was had for just $190. I'm very happy with it. :)

The 980 is unjustifiable if you have any sort of budget, my main reason for going for one was 1440p vs 1080p, and that I will add another down the line, so a single 970 didn't work for me. I recommend anyone looking at nvidias a 970 and tell them I have a 980 to drive home the point. It's an excellent price for what you get and a good card

Same for me, though I doubt I'll go SLI unless I decide to go 4k or 21:9 at some point, which I don't really see happening.