20.000kr ~ $4200

Dell Inspiron 1720:
*Intel? Core? T9300 2,50 GHz
*17" TFT1440 x 900
*nVidia? GeForce? Go 8600M GT
*3072 MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
*Two SATA-harddiske 500 GB (2 x 250 GB)

11.000kr ~ $2100

Yes, I know some Macs are more expensive. My point was that y'all act every Mac is more expensive by a great deal. Some are more expensive some are less expensive depending on what you want.

Also, that MacBook Pro you quote in $2,700 in the US. The currency isn't 1 to 1.

Yes, I know some Macs are more expensive. My point was that y'all act every Mac is more expensive by a great deal. Some are more expensive some are less expensive depending on what you want.

I can't for all that is holy make a similar spec'ed Mac less expensive than a Dell counterpart.

It's not just Pro's it's the same story with MacBooks, so what's left?

I told you already the Mac Pro is cheaper than the comparable Dells and HPs. Mac Pro is the tower desktop. Not to be confused with the MacBook Pro which is what you quoted.

No, it seems to me you guys were talking about Macs in general. It started from the other guy's MacBook but seemed move to just talking about Macs in general.

I told you already the Mac Pro is cheaper than the comparable Dells and HPs. Mac Pro is the tower desktop. Not to be confused with the MacBook Pro which is what you quoted.

Yeah, but any knowledgeable PC user who wants performance at a good price is not going to buy a Dell desktop. They're going to order the parts separately and build their own. And doing that, they'll end up with a much better computer at a cheaper price.

But anyway, is this a Mac vs. PC debate or the New Toys thread? :D

Yeah, but any knowledgeable PC user who wants performance at a good price is not going to buy a Dell desktop. They're going to order the parts separately and build their own. And doing that, they'll end up with a much better computer at a cheaper price.

But anyway, is this a Mac vs. PC debate or the New Toys thread? :D

That may be. However, when certain software packages are certified for only certain hardware and your business depends upon your computers, building isn't an option.

Yeah, I wanted to avoid the Mac/PC debate period to be honest.

Speaking of Macs, went down to Seattle during the long weekend to pick up an iPhone but they were sold out (everywhere). Have decided to wait for the new iPhone and for it to get hacked. iPhone owners - is this a good idea?

Whoops - I didn't see this thread.

Last edited:
Speaking of Macs, went down to Seattle during the long weekend to pick up an iPhone but they were sold out (everywhere). Have decided to wait for the new iPhone and for it to get hacked. iPhone owners - is this a good idea?

The new iPhone will be announced in under a month (I think) And will have 3G and GPS, it'll also have a re-designed back and will be available in Black or White.

I'd wait if i wanted another one.

Also, that MacBook Pro you quote in $2,700 in the US. The currency isn't 1 to 1.

the dell is $1790. much much cheaper.

EDIT: also to build a rig comparable to mine (1x quad core between 2.8 (apple) and 3.0 (mine), 4 gb ram, 4 500GB drives, 8800 card (apple has 8800gt, I have 2 8800GTX), soundcard, keyboard mouse etc...when I built mine in august it cost $3500 (with 23" monitor, can be done now for about $2000), the apple was $4500 without monitor.

I don't mind Apple's OS or anything else, they're just so expensive that I prefer to build my own for much cheaper.

Last edited:
the dell is $1790. much much cheaper.

EDIT: also to build a rig comparable to mine (1x quad core between 2.8 (apple) and 3.0 (mine), 4 gb ram, 4 500GB drives, 8800 card (apple has 8800gt, I have 2 8800GTX), soundcard, keyboard mouse etc...when I built mine in august it cost $3500 (with 23" monitor, can be done now for about $2000), the apple was $4500 without monitor.

Yes, I know the Dell 1720 is cheaper than the 17" MacBook Pro.

Edit to your Edit: As I said to Jeffy, when certain software packages are certified for only certain hardware and your business depends upon your computers, building isn't an option.

Also, I could actually build what you have if I was willing to do a Hackintosh. But that's not really what I was talking about. I was making the point that some Macs are more expensive than their PC counterparts while others are less expensive.

Last edited:
This Apple vs. Windows discussion is so fucking old and tired and stupid.

Just because Apple's cost more than Windows PCs doesn't make them bad. A Ferrari F430 is probably no faster or more luxurious than the new Nissan GT-R... does that make the Ferrari crap? No, it doesn't.

Different people have different needs, you guys need to realize that. My desktops have always been Windows machines, because for gaming and more advanced stuff you can't beat Windows. My laptops have always been Apple because no Windows PC looks as stylish, and MacOS X really is simpler for things like word processing and browsing the web.

I still find it hard to believe that ppl can find firefox/opera and word/excel hard to use.

I've checked all the specs for MacBook and compared them with ASUS/Toshiba etc.. Normal laptop wins by far with more options and better specs/money ratio, therefore I don't understand why you would want to give up the option of having a faster laptop.

If you really want the simplicity of Mac, can't you format the laptop and put osx on it?

And if you just want a word processing/web surfing laptop, why don't you just spend half the price and buy a cheap normal notebook will a lower spec that will do everything just as well?

^ Look, it's not that I need a easier way of using Word and Excel... it's just that it simplifies your workflow. Simplicity doesn't equal easier in my book.

For example, the Expose features of OS X are actually very useful if you're writing papers and stuff and need to constantly switch between various programs and websites. Windows Vista's pathetic tilt-switch feature is just useless and looks pretty.

You can install OS X on x86 PCs theoretically, but they don't use the same BIOS concept so you need to install an unoriginal, hacked version. Even then, it will simply not run well. The reason OS X is more stable than Windows is because all Apple computers use the same hardware set, whereas different Windows computers use a million different combinations of hardware pieces. Even if you put OS X on a Windows box, it wouldn't run well.

And lastly, I bought an Apple laptop because of the way it looks. I dislike the white iPod finish of the MacBook, but you guys find me a Windows laptop that looks as simplistically sexy and gorgeous as a MacBook Pro... don't bother, you won't find one. Windows PC makers' idea of a pretty machine is like those stupid tribal imprints HP is putting on their portables now.

But as I've said time and time again there's definite benefits to both platforms, and Linux/UNIX guys are laughing in all our faces anyway. For instance, Apple realized that most people would attempt to uninstall programs by merely deleting the icon off their desktop... so that's how OS X is, you dump a program's icon and it's uninstalled from your computer. You know how many times I've had to manually delete files off my parents' computers because they had just removed programs by deleting it's icon or folder?

On the flipside, OS X does this stupid thing that if you hit enter on an icon it goes into rename mode instead of just opening up the file itself... that's pretty ridiculous, even if it was common on legacy systems. Short of making your own OS, the best you can do is stop being a fanboy one way or the other and use them both to your advantage.

Last edited:
......like those stupid tribal imprints HP is putting on their portables now.

Oh crap that's what mine has on it. :(

It also feels so cheaply made that it's unreal and yet it wasn't that cheap when I bought it last August. Damn tv tuner being included and the 8600M in it was why I got it, along with the 2gb which at the time seemed rare for laptops at that price. Amazing what just half a year can do to what was an up-to-date laptop. :(