The "New Toys" Thread

this. what I have now is considered fast by a couple of people but not by me

20/1 ADSL, realistically getting 300-500 kbps max down
Sadly, it is by far the best deal one can have, with regards to the monthly limit & price point (100 GB, most people here are on max 25, and 50? all in, including phonecalls)

Hasn't Scarlet called yet to put you on VDSL2?

this. what I have now is considered fast by a couple of people but not by me

20/1 ADSL, realistically getting 300-500 kbps max down
Sadly, it is by far the best deal one can have, with regards to the monthly limit & price point (100 GB, most people here are on max 25, and 50? all in, including phonecalls)

What kind of fucked up market allows for customers to pay for 20mbit and get 0.5 and be happy with it? Shoulden't you be able to cancel your service on the spot and get one that works?

Don't get confused between bytes and bits, but yeah, still.... I get pretty close to what I pay for. When it works.

What kind of fucked up market allows for customers to pay for 20mbit and get 0.5 and be happy with it? Shoulden't you be able to cancel your service on the spot and get one that works?

It's DSL, you pay for broadband access not for 20mbit. They are marketed as MAX 20mbit, not guaranteed 20mbit. People however only look at the big fonts on the ads :p Speeds on dsl vary according to your distance to the exchange, quality of your cabling in house, filters etc. With the arrival of VDSL2 they are now planning to roll out 20-30mbit guaranteed profiles to 9x% of the country. Small side note: that speed is guaranteed at the point in the house where the phoneline enters the building. All internal cabling, filters etc are the customers responsibility.

It's DSL, you pay for broadband access not for 20mbit. They are marketed as MAX 20mbit, not guaranteed 20mbit.

Here if you order 20mbit you get 20mbit, if they can't supply you that they'll either downgrade you or you are free to find a provider who can.

New earbuds/headset. Etymotic hf2s They seem really nice, very deep soundstage, really clear highs and solid, tight, well defined bass.

Arrived in the mail today:

For my MB Pro:

url

For the 160GB Seagate Momentus HD currently in my MB Pro:

url

Got a blue one.

Currently got winclone and time machine making copies of the 2 partitions on the old HD. Going to get some rest now (this medication is making me dozzy) and maybe install later when I feel awake and rested enough.

Needs more stickers.

Seriously, I see Windows XP and Intel Atom, but wtf are all those others?

to put my wrist on so I don't smudge it while setting up her files duuur :p

Here if you order 20mbit you get 20mbit, if they can't supply you that they'll either downgrade you or you are free to find a provider who can.

this is belgiumland. So far there is no such thing as "a provider who can".
and no, i'm still on plain old DSL.

If I moved to Holland I could have 10x speed at a fraction of the cost though, without limits...

^I've been looking for something like that (for cheap) too

IKEA also has something like it for 40 euros over here, but the build quality is far, far worse than the Vogel's one, which is extremely nice in that respect. As far as the lighting itself goes, they are pretty similar tho from what I can gather.

Just came home with this in hand:

passport-views.thumbnail.jpg

250 GB so now I can finally watch something in HD over the size of 4 GB. \o/

IKEA also has something like it for 40 euros over here, but the build quality is far, far worse than the Vogel's one, which is extremely nice in that respect. As far as the lighting itself goes, they are pretty similar tho from what I can gather.

I have the one from IKEA, but it's the one that won't change color, and the LEDs started to get really dim in about 2 years...

With the implementation of VDSL2 that will become possible here.
Its already possible on cable, but that company has a monopoly & ridiculous limits/traffic shaping for extremely high prices.

^i've been using the touchstone since i first got the pre back in june, wish it's a little bigger so it's easier to put the phone on, but otherwise that's probably one of my favorite thing about my phone.

good choice on the Aspire one, although I'm unsure why you would want/need another keyboard

Easy; one keyboard is for everyday use and the other is for adult entertainment so you don't get your normal keyboard sticky.