The "New Toys" Thread

Hmm, nevermind then. But FM transmitters are shit, can't you at least work in an FM modulator?

210663054.jpg

Kingston Apple 8GB Kit (2 X 4GB Modules) 1066MHz DDR3 SODimm iMac and Macbook Memory - KTA-MB1066K2/8G

$119 is too good a price for 8GB of notebook ram. Over here, a single 4GB stick is $130...

IIRC macs use CAS7, not CAS9 ram, but I see no reason why that Kingston kit wouldn't work on another laptop.

Buying RAM for laptop is a pain in the ass. There's bazillion different types, and you always have to check very carefully if it works.

Hmm, nevermind then. But FM transmitters are shit, can't you at least work in an FM modulator?

Not if you buy a good one. I have audiophiles Friends and they don't even notice when they ride with me. But you have to have a good source and good quality rips.

Just got a FM transmitter for my car, because I'm too lazy to connect to the aux input semi-provided. It involves me removing the whole fascia and splicing into wires and adaptors and other such rigmarole.

This Be it.

518VbpvsBRL.jpg

Lemm know what it's like. I'm looking for something that does pretty much all this does
does this have "real" stereo though?

I now use a crappy Belkin thingy that cost me 6?, but needs batteries every once in a while, and has no fancy USB or Sd card inputs, just the 3,5 mm plug

also, since you're in the car, I don't really care about audio quality. You'll have wind noise, tyre noise, other traffic, etc, so it'll sound different anyway. Maybe that's why the audiophiles didn't complain, because they couldn't hear the quality in the first place

Lemm know what it's like. I'm looking for something that does pretty much all this does
does this have "real" stereo though?

I now use a crappy Belkin thingy that cost me 6?, but needs batteries every once in a while, and has no fancy USB or Sd card inputs, just the 3,5 mm plug

also, since you're in the car, I don't really care about audio quality. You'll have wind noise, tyre noise, other traffic, etc, so it'll sound different anyway. Maybe that's why the audiophiles didn't complain, because they couldn't hear the quality in the first place

I'm happy to report it sounds great. At high volumes from source it gets a bit distorted but that easy to solve just turn it down and turn up your radio volume. All you need to do is find a dead FM frequency in your area and it transmits strongly. I could even listen in on .1 Mhz in either direction. All in all I'm very happy, and might try to stick an SD card in with some driving tunes and test that functionality out.

Not if you buy a good one. I have audiophiles Friends and they don't even notice when they ride with me. But you have to have a good source and good quality rips.

Perhaps. Last I checked the best one around was the one from Monster and that too wasn't very good. I guess maybe they've improved on them a bit since 2005. :p

Maybe you should buy him a new HU with a proper aux input if that bothers you so much :p Why dump on someone's purchase like that? Let it go...

Maybe you should buy him a new HU with a proper aux input if that bothers you so much :p Why dump on someone's purchase like that? Let it go...

Maybe you shouldn't log on two days later and totally misconstrue somebody's comments. :p I wasn't dumping on his new purchase, just shooting the shit about technology basically.

Sansui G-5000 Pure Power DC Stereo Receiver.

It didn't look that big in the pictures :unsure:

Maybe you shouldn't log on two days later and totally misconstrue somebody's comments. :p I wasn't dumping on his new purchase, just shooting the shit about technology basically.

nice backpedal on earlier statements :p

:p xD =o

At any rate, he can stand up for himself if he wants to. End of story.

Not to derail the thread but what might such an option be called? The processor is currently the weakest link in my PC but an upgrade on socket 775 would be way too expensive (can get an AMD + new mobo for less).

Only nvidia chipsets have this feature from memory.