The "New Toys" Thread

This weekend I be getting new components.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-USB3-B3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
Memory: Kingston PC1600 4+4GB DDR3
Storage: 1x Kingston SSD 64GB V100PC; 1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 32MB 1TB
Graphics: Geforce GTX 470 (already have)

:drool:

I think it is 2600. That's what it said on the invoice and I just assumed the dealer made a mistake (writes the invoices himself in word, he's old school like that).

Checks before you open the boxes:

Ensure you have a K CPU. Non-K CPUs will not overclock. At. All.
Make sure you have a P67 or Z68 board. The H67 will not overclock more than ~4% because it can't change the CPU multiplier, which the P67 and Z68 can. Oh, and a Z68 will allow you to use IGP for video encoding/decoding/display with the 470 still plugged in - either using Lucid's software or nV's forthcoming "Synergy" tech.

[joke]can't you see that the phone is zoomed to may's shirt? [/joke]

You need a better "Enhance" module.

I tried installing Lucid Virtu on my machine a couple of days ago with no success. I guess I need to enable the IGP first but my BIOS has no option for that.

Does your mobo support Virtu? Iirc Lucid need to approve you or something

I didn't know you needed a specific motherboard, thought all that was needed was just one with IGP support which I should have since I have a H67 board.

I just found an installer on their website randomly a few days ago. Information is really sparse about this utility, all the links are basically either to Lucid's website or one of a few Anandtech articles, so I'm not exactly sure what you need and whatnot.

I didn't know you needed a specific motherboard, thought all that was needed was just one with IGP support which I should have since I have a H67 board.

I just found an installer on their website randomly a few days ago. Information is really sparse about this utility, all the links are basically either to Lucid's website or one of a few Anandtech articles, so I'm not exactly sure what you need and whatnot.

Its bundled on some mobos, not all. licensing etc most likely. Hopefully that'll change with nV Synergy

Its bundled on some mobos, not all. licensing etc most likely. Hopefully that'll change with nV Synergy

Well I don't have an nV card though... guessing that would be a dealbreaker.

I'm sure Lucid currently has Virtu up for download on their website. It might not be permanent but it's there right now, have a look.

Non-K and H67. I don't plan on OC-ing anyway. This computer is owned by the company and I won't do anything that could fuck anything up.

Then it's fine to run a H67. Overclocking on Sandy Bridge is so easy and stable that it's almost criminal to not step up to a K chip, but if its a company I can understand why it won't be looked favorably upon. What's the need for a GFX card if it's a work computer? Do you do effects modeling, 3d design etc.?

I work in 3D cad, yes. Needed a graphics card that does OpenGL properly and also isn't completely asthmatic in other regards.

So after less than a day with the new SSD my hard drive cable decided that it had enough and decided to quit!

Cable died of excess speed :nod:

seems my whole 3rd party SATA 6g chip decided to quit... installed latest drivers for the damn bitch and everything, even allocated the pcie lanes of the second x16 slot on my mobo to the thing (yes, you can do that so it can go full speed)... with the result that my whole fresh windows install keeps freezing up for a few seconds at least once a minute. and yes, it's the SSD... the system on the old HDD works perfectly... -.-

4x would be more than enough for SATA 6Gb/s.

yeah it steals some of the lanes (maybe 8 - 4 = 4) i don't quite understand it all and i don't care since, as you said, it should be more than enough...
fact is, it doesn't work and the damn thing makes my PC skip! :mad:

Cable died of excess speed :nod:

That's my guess too :-D

The new cable is on order anyway, I should receive it at our store tomorrow or Monday. Until then the SSD found itself a nice spot in an USB enclosure so the machine isn't down :-d

5l9kNaE

Corsair HX750

This is the first piece of my new computer since 2004.

The rest will be coming soon I hope.
Waiting to get really good deals

Last edited: