The "New Toys" Thread

Only catch is that 10" has a resistive screen, which means you can touch it with anything and it will respond.

This is a 7" model with a capacitive screen (iPad/iPhone-like). $190 with shipping.

Only catch is that 10" has a resistive screen, which means you can touch it with anything and it will respond.

This is a 7" model with a capacitive screen (iPad/iPhone-like). $190 with shipping.

Both pretty good deals, I'll talk it over with him. Thanks!

So my dad finally got tired of me wither using his laptop or complaining about my faithful good old desktop (I do mean old, 2003 old) So he got me this

hp_mini_110_3121la__34102.jpg

2GB DDR3 Ram
320GB HDD
1.50 GHz Atom N550

FuckThatShit_L.jpg

All better than my desktop

Windows 7 Starter

https://pic.armedcats.net/g/ga/gaasc/2011/06/22/ragecomic.png

How do you go around to installing home basic on one of these?

No way an N550 is better than what you had. But installing Basic requires a different key, or a peg leg.

It was a socket-478 2.4 GHz Celeron single core. So there

I'll just stuff home premium from a USB drive. thanks to ZeDe for that BTW

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2011/06/23/IMG_20110623_171557.jpg

I did it! :D It's mine, it's all mine. :p Nexus S, Android and endless amounts of ''son, I am impressed''. It's every bit as good as everyone says...and I've only been using it for half an hour. Still have the task of grasping how to do this and that, but surely it'll be a breeze.

Pic taken with it, I tok it in a shit environment on purpose and it's still a perfectly presentalbe pic. I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

It was a socket-478 2.4 GHz Celeron single core. So there

I'll just stuff home premium from a USB drive. thanks to ZeDe for that BTW

There is no Home Basic for Windows 7 anyway. Also Atoms really are terrible but at least yours is a dual-core. My single-core Atom N270 1.6 wasn't much more powerful than the 0.9 GHz Celeron it replaced..... some garbage about ultra-low voltage and in-order processing.

Depends on the Celeron though. Newer ones are based on the same architecture as the C2S chips, and are several times more powerful than older ones. I don't know what year this started happening, but if it's socket 478 then it may be the old kind, which actually is slower than an N550 according to benchmarks.

There is no Home Basic for Windows 7 anyway. Also Atoms really are terrible but at least yours is a dual-core. My single-core Atom N270 1.6 wasn't much more powerful than the 0.9 GHz Celeron it replaced..... some garbage about ultra-low voltage and in-order processing.

Home Basic is available in "emerging markets". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Home_Basic#Main_editions

Gascc should have no issue running Home Premium on an Atom. My n270 runs it just fine.

Depends on the Celeron though. Newer ones are based on the same architecture as the C2S chips, and are several times more powerful than older ones. I don't know what year this started happening, but if it's socket 478 then it may be the old kind, which actually is slower than an N550 according to benchmarks.

There are also Celeron Dual-Core's as well. :nod:

My netbook (currently in use as a wi-fi card for my desktop) is an N270 machine running Home Premium. It's frustratingly slow but it's no worse than XP was on the same system. Still, it's the main reason I went for a new tablet. 720p is gorgeous on a 10" screen when it's not a slideshow :)

If my G5 hadn't started to act up, I probably would have never replaced it. Also, the G500 is cheap compared to the high end wireless mice.

Home Basic is available in "emerging markets". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Home_Basic#Main_editions

Gascc should have no issue running Home Premium on an Atom. My n270 runs it just fine.

My netbook (currently in use as a wi-fi card for my desktop) is an N270 machine running Home Premium. It's frustratingly slow but it's no worse than XP was on the same system. Still, it's the main reason I went for a new tablet. 720p is gorgeous on a 10" screen when it's not a slideshow :)

My desktop wouldn't play 480p on youtube. 360p was laggy. The N550 plays 720p with little to no lag. We'll see with home premium.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2011/06/23/IMG_20110623_171557.jpg

I did it! :D It's mine, it's all mine. :p Nexus S, Android and endless amounts of ''son, I am impressed''. It's every bit as good as everyone says...and I've only been using it for half an hour. Still have the task of grasping how to do this and that, but surely it'll be a breeze.

Pic taken with it, I tok it in a shit environment on purpose and it's still a perfectly presentalbe pic. I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..

^5. Is yours a GT-i9020 or GT-i9023 like mine (AMOLED vs SLCD)?

Also, hurry up and put in some Custom firmware. Mine is over twice as fast with CFW only and over 2.5x as fast when I add a Overclocking (from benchmarks) :D

633ANHMW.jpg

Intel Wi-Fi Link 6300 Ultimate. Getting sick and tired of the crap performance of the RTL8191SE in this laptop.

\o/ He went for the awesome chip!

My old G5 was having problems, so I picked up this.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/06/23/15994.png

I love it, because it feels exactly like the G5.

Welcome to ze G5/G500 owners club.

God dam everyone is getting one I feel the need to get one too.....

Hefty price tag though :(

50USD (or equivalent in most places) isn't *that* expensive...

^5. Is yours a GT-i9020 or GT-i9023 like mine (AMOLED vs SLCD)?

Also, hurry up and put in some Custom firmware. Mine is over twice as fast with CFW only and over 2.5x as fast when I add a Overclocking (from benchmarks) :D

What CFW are you on?

G500 looks like a good upgrade - Still on ye old G5, which is brilliant except for the scroll wheel. Problem is G500 is $74, and G9x is $79...

Last edited: