The "New Toys" Thread

If my G5 hadn't started to act up, I probably would have never replaced it. Also, the G500 is cheap compared to the high end wireless mice.

Ew wireless mice.

Ew wireless mice.

Word. After spending close to an hour fighting with some lady's bluetooth mouse at work..it solidified my decision to go with a wired elcheapo microsoft mouse.

What CFW are you on?

G500 looks like a good upgrade - Still on ye old G5, which is brilliant except for the scroll wheel. Problem is G500 is $74, and G9x is $79...

From my sig at XDA:
Nexus S GSM SLCD GT-i9023
Default/Backup/Base setup:
ZuluGen 0.9.4
Netarchy Kernel 1.3.5

G500 price: lol Ausfailia :(

And if you prefer the plam-grip/large mice, you'll like the G500 better than the G9x according to most people...

Ew wireless mice.

Word. After spending close to an hour fighting with some lady's bluetooth mouse at work..it solidified my decision to go with a wired elcheapo microsoft mouse.

Which is why I got the G500 over the Performance MX (darkfield laz0r) and G700 (wireless G500 with extra buttonz)

Last edited:

You are doing it wrong :p Never had any problems with BT mice, I also use regular wireless mice quite a bit but if you are a gamer then wired is the only way to go.

Only catch is that 10" has a resistive screen, which means you can touch it with anything and it will respond.

This is a 7" model with a capacitive screen (iPad/iPhone-like). $190 with shipping.

hmmm... very interesting indeed. Can someone explain in simple terms the exact difference between the different kinds of touch screens? I'm quite simple and can't see the advantages from one over the other...

G500 price: lol Ausfailia :(

And if you prefer the plam-grip/large mice, you'll like the G500 better than the G9x according to most people...

Getting back to your earlier question, I think all the European Nexus S's are i9023s.

Anyway, the Logitech mouse pricing is complete fail. Then again, I was at the comp shop earlier and they were sold out of both the G500 and G9x with no ETA. Apparently there's a severe stock shortage and very few of the comp stores are able to get stuff from Logitech.

I checked out some Razers as well but I just wasn't impressed by the ergonomics - I find all the Razer designs more suited to clawing whereas I prefer palming ala G5. I remember briefly trying a G9x and thought it wasn't too bad, and it does come with interchangeable grips which is nice. Is the G500 wider than the G5?

Last edited:
hmmm... very interesting indeed. Can someone explain in simple terms the exact difference between the different kinds of touch screens? I'm quite simple and can't see the advantages from one over the other...

The first one you can use your finger, a stylus, a pen etc. to use it, but it also means that if you put it in a bag or something something could knock against it and make it do things. The second you can only use your finger or special rather bulky stylus (that is not included) because it is meant to recognize a finger vs everything else and using something not your finger/finger stylus will not work.

Getting back to your earlier question, I think all the European Nexus S's are i9023s.

Anyway, the Logitech mouse pricing is complete fail. Then again, I was at the comp shop earlier and they were sold out of both the G500 and G9x with no ETA. Apparently there's a severe stock shortage and very few of the comp stores are able to get stuff from Logitech.

I checked out some Razers as well but I just wasn't impressed by the ergonomics - I find all the Razer designs more suited to clawing whereas I prefer palming ala G5. I remember briefly trying a G9x and thought it wasn't too bad, and it does come with interchangeable grips which is nice. Is the G500 wider than the G5?

The Lachesis is pretty horrible to use.

So my dad finally got tired of me wither using his laptop or complaining about my faithful good old desktop (I do mean old, 2003 old) So he got me this

pic

2GB DDR3 Ram
320GB HDD
1.50 GHz Atom N550

FuckThatShit_L.jpg

All better than my desktop

Windows 7 Starter
----
How do you go around to installing home basic on one of these?

just get the code (some weird "upgrade") that uses some magic to make it "starter to home premium" easier, althought you'd still have the crapware inside the damm netbook :/

I got into it yesterday, it saved all my programs on windows.old and then deleted the rest, just got the recovery manager up, reinstalled the drivers. i now have no crapware.

This of course means I'll spend the next couple of days tinkering with it and installing shit. I'm overly pleased with this thing.

*looks if this XMBC thing will be of some use

Last edited:
^5. Is yours a GT-i9020 or GT-i9023 like mine (AMOLED vs SLCD)?

Also, hurry up and put in some Custom firmware. Mine is over twice as fast with CFW only and over 2.5x as fast when I add a Overclocking (from benchmarks) :D

I9023. It's awesomely fast just in it's standard config, I just got arounf to syncing with Android Market, got myself Astro to manage apps, Winamp, Rockplayer, FB for Android...

I'm just waiting for my ISP to send me my free wireless router to set up a home wifi and then it's on. Apps, apps everywhere. :D

O.O Here at futureshop/best buy its like 80 bucks! Over at NCIX right now theyre having a sale for 74 bucks.....sooo yeah.

Ouch! Because Canada indeed -_-

I have obtained my tiny dell. Unfortunatly it was owned by what I assume was an old person (IE8 as default browser .-.) who has installed stupid things and I assume viruses because it is so fucking slow on windows it is not even funny. I don't know if there are viruses because it is too slow to use the antivirus. I get an error message if I try to update or uninstall anything and it runs the wifi through 2 different dumb ass programs for it to connect and doing so seems to have disabled the ability for linux to steal the drivers which is a crying shame because it runs perfectly fine on linux mode. :|

I have obtained my tiny dell. Unfortunatly it was owned by what I assume was an old person (IE8 as default browser .-.) who has installed stupid things and I assume viruses because it is so fucking slow on windows it is not even funny. I don't know if there are viruses because it is too slow to use the antivirus. I get an error message if I try to update or uninstall anything and it runs the wifi through 2 different dumb ass programs for it to connect and doing so seems to have disabled the ability for linux to steal the drivers which is a crying shame because it runs perfectly fine on linux mode. :|

You need to pretty much re-image the system...I'd never use it in that state for any thing serious. You should have gotten a Dell branded Windows disk which you can use in a external drive.

I still think you should hackintosh it though. :)

Yes I do have all the disks thankfully, that was part of the reason I bought it with XP honestly, I can put (a tablet supporting) windows on the mac and if I feel like it osx on the pc. :lol:
I will probably just use linux though since it is an old mini 9 with a 32gb drive so I am not doing anything fancy on it. I bought it mostly for internets and IM in a convenient purse size computer (with a nice big keyboard which puts it above annoying smart phones. My ipod touch is obnoxious.)

Yes I do have all the disks thankfully, that was part of the reason I bought it with XP honestly, I can put (a tablet supporting) windows on the mac and if I feel like it osx on the pc. :lol:
I will probably just use linux though since it is an old mini 9 with a 32gb drive so I am not doing anything fancy on it. I bought it mostly for internets and IM in a convenient purse size computer (with a nice big keyboard which puts it above annoying smart phones. My ipod touch is obnoxious.)

Nice! Yeah i think the netbook still has life in it for people on the go. And yes, on screen keyboards suck donkey balls.

I purposely got the smaller older one for the portability. I already have a powerhouse laptop, no reason for it to be too :).

For portability, nothing beats the Nokia Booklet. I <3 mine.