The "New Toys" Thread

I9023. It's awesomely fast just in it's standard config, I just got arounf to syncing with Android Market, got myself Astro to manage apps, Winamp, Rockplayer, FB for Android...

I'm just waiting for my ISP to send me my free wireless router to set up a home wifi and then it's on. Apps, apps everywhere. :D

The joys of pure Android :D

O.O Here at futureshop/best buy its like 80 bucks! Over at NCIX right now theyre having a sale for 74 bucks.....sooo yeah.

Get someone to bring one from the US :D

Just bought a new wired XBOX 360 controller for the PC for $15 as a closeout.

We did our summer trip with my ex and the kids, visited her parents first and after that my dad. Since we happened to have room in the car I decided to bring back some goodies from my dad's attic, since I'll soon have room to set these up in my new apartment...

I don't recall ever even seeing this Lego set, so I'm thinking this must be my sister's. I don't think she'll be missing it :p

full

My dad bought a box of electronics a while ago, including this/these. Fully working, I tested it out a few days ago. Sadly no games but hopefully I'll be able to get a floppy drive and some games for it in the future :) My first C64, haven't owned one before.

full

And last but not least, my dear old Amiga 500. The monitor broke last summer but otherwise it's working just fine, so I'll try to get a tv modulator for it, then I can hook it to a TV just like the C64. Let the retro gaming commence! :thumbsup:

full

full

We did our summer trip with my ex and the kids, visited her parents first and after that my dad. Since we happened to have room in the car I decided to bring back some goodies from my dad's attic, since I'll soon have room to set these up in my new apartment...

I don't recall ever even seeing this Lego set, so I'm thinking this must be my sister's. I don't think she'll be missing it :p

full

My dad bought a box of electronics a while ago, including this/these. Fully working, I tested it out a few days ago. Sadly no games but hopefully I'll be able to get a floppy drive and some games for it in the future :) My first C64, haven't owned one before.

full

And last but not least, my dear old Amiga 500. The monitor broke last summer but otherwise it's working just fine, so I'll try to get a tv modulator for it, then I can hook it to a TV just like the C64. Let the retro gaming commence! :thumbsup:

full

full
AWESOME!!!

I just traded my huge old 17" XPS Gen2 laptop (2 Ghz Pentium M) for a Panasonic ToughBook CF-28. It's only an 800Mhz PIII, but once I install the 64GB SSD, new battery, and some extra RAM, it will be a great little computer. Yay for waterproof, dustproof, shock-resistant computing! In fact, once I replace the HD with an SSD, it will have NO moving parts. The main reason I got it was because it has a serial port, which is really useful for configuring switches, UPSes, amateur radios, servers, embedded systems, etc. But it also sports a touch screen and built-in GPS, which is pretty cool. I'm getting a car docking station soon too.

(not mine, just a picture taken from the tubes)

Last edited:
XBOX%20WIRELESS%20CONTROLLER%20FOR%20PC.jpg

Got her on sale, for my emulators, platformers, racing games and third person games. Now all I need is TV for a true emulator experience.

Hate to say it but the controller is less than ideal for emulators (d-pad sucks and analog triggers throw some software off. Plus you can't press both at once). Great for anything modern though.

It's great for Gamecube, but for stuff like NES I find the keyboard to be a bit better.

I just traded my huge old 17" XPS Gen2 laptop (2 Ghz Pentium M) for a Panasonic ToughBook CF-28. It's only an 800Mhz PIII, but once I install the 64GB SSD, new battery, and some extra RAM, it will be a great little computer. Yay for waterproof, dustproof, shock-resistant computing! In fact, once I replace the HD with an SSD, it will have NO moving parts. The main reason I got it was because it has a serial port, which is really useful for configuring switches, UPSes, amateur radios, servers, embedded systems, etc. But it also sports a touch screen and built-in GPS, which is pretty cool. I'm getting a car docking station soon too.

(not mine, just a picture taken from the tubes)

NICE one, you gonna use xp/linux?
wanna share pix! when you got it?

I picked this baby up about ten days ago. Let's play guess that new toy. :mrgreen:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/06/29/DSC_0012.jpg

Too generic? You're right, looks like any other Android screen. Let's try this.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/06/29/DSC_0030.jpg

Still too generic? Well it's a Galaxy SII phone.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/06/29/DSC_0035.jpg

Here are some comparison shots with my trusty HD2.

It's an unfair comparison in some senses since the HD2 only has a traditional TFT display, but then again it's barely a year and a half on the market. Both are on maximum brightness, click for hi-res version.

Nice! I hope for your sake that Samsung has finally upped the buildquality of their phones. And yeah, Samsung's Amoled displays are very crisp and bright (too crisp and bright for my tastes, I dislike the exaggerated oversaturated colours, but to each his own) and have great black values and contrast.

Nice! I hope for your sake that Samsung has finally upped the buildquality of their phones. And yeah, Samsung's Amoled displays are very crisp and bright (too crisp and bright for my tastes, I dislike the exaggerated oversaturated colours, but to each his own) and have great black values and contrast.

One of the main things holding me back from the Galaxy SII was that I knew the build quality wouldn't be amazing.

The Sensation was actually my first choice. Then Bell Canada announced that it would be coming out on their network so I started to actually research things and realized that the Sensation might not even be as sensational as the name suggests.

For starters, it's got a plastic back that is a far cry from the genuine metal I'm used to on the HD2. It will for sure feel like a more solid device than the GSII, but not sure if the build quality is a selling point for the Sensation; Samsung doesn't make cheap shit either, they just don't use the most premium materials.

It also seems like the dual-core Snapdragon on the Sensation leaves something to be desired. Basically it seems like the only area the Sensation was a clear winner was the extra screen resolution.

I agree with you that Super AMOLED isn't all that it's cracked up to be. But I have to say it differs a lot what you're looking at - with certain things it makes the IPS panels in my monitor and Transformer look outright crap, but other things look rather fake on it. I think there is a definite case of overhyping going on with the SAMOLEDs, but the thing is each of these new display technologies have their pros and cons so for now there can't really be a clear winner.

Overall I'm really happy with the phone, and I've yet to sign up for data or root the device. I delayed getting a new Android phone for a long time, because I kept thinking there would be no novelty since I'd end up with the same UI. Boy was I wrong, the combination of thickness/weight, display, and processor improvements over the HD2 make these two devices simply incomparable.

My one complaint is that Samsung is doing themselves a disservice by blatantly ripping off Apple's designs. Samsung has been making beastly phones since before either iOS or Android were even born, they have no need to rip off anybody... yet the GSII looks so much like an iPhone, both in hardware and software.

I can and will fix the software side myself soon enough, but I can't do anything about the hardware. But that is quite literally the only thing I find wrong with this phone, otherwise it's bliss.

I9023. It's awesomely fast just in it's standard config, I just got arounf to syncing with Android Market, got myself Astro to manage apps, Winamp, Rockplayer, FB for Android...

I'm just waiting for my ISP to send me my free wireless router to set up a home wifi and then it's on. Apps, apps everywhere. :D

One of the main things holding me back from the Galaxy SII was that I knew the build quality wouldn't be amazing.

The Sensation was actually my first choice. Then Bell Canada announced that it would be coming out on their network so I started to actually research things and realized that the Sensation might not even be as sensational as the name suggests.

For starters, it's got a plastic back that is a far cry from the genuine metal I'm used to on the HD2. It will for sure feel like a more solid device than the GSII, but not sure if the build quality is a selling point for the Sensation; Samsung doesn't make cheap shit either, they just don't use the most premium materials.

It also seems like the dual-core Snapdragon on the Sensation leaves something to be desired. Basically it seems like the only area the Sensation was a clear winner was the extra screen resolution.

I agree with you that Super AMOLED isn't all that it's cracked up to be. But I have to say it differs a lot what you're looking at - with certain things it makes the IPS panels in my monitor and Transformer look outright crap, but other things look rather fake on it. I think there is a definite case of overhyping going on with the SAMOLEDs, but the thing is each of these new display technologies have their pros and cons so for now there can't really be a clear winner.

Overall I'm really happy with the phone, and I've yet to sign up for data or root the device. I delayed getting a new Android phone for a long time, because I kept thinking there would be no novelty since I'd end up with the same UI. Boy was I wrong, the combination of thickness/weight, display, and processor improvements over the HD2 make these two devices simply incomparable.

My one complaint is that Samsung is doing themselves a disservice by blatantly ripping off Apple's designs. Samsung has been making beastly phones since before either iOS or Android were even born, they have no need to rip off anybody... yet the GSII looks so much like an iPhone, both in hardware and software.

I can and will fix the software side myself soon enough, but I can't do anything about the hardware. But that is quite literally the only thing I find wrong with this phone, otherwise it's bliss.

I believe that it is possible to tweak the screen colour settings via kernel hack. Give it some time and there will be tweaked colour profiles (or alternatively you can make your own). In any case, the Nexus One has it via the "Voodoo Control/Renderer settings" app while the Nexus S is direct kernel edits (probably somewhere in init.d)

P1000047.jpg

I have realized I have not posted this yet and since I have finally cleaned up the mess that was on it, here it is.
Purseputer
I think the Ubuntu half will get more use because it is significantly faster on that side and is kind of an OSX light with a lot of the features from that I like.

Since my netbook forgot about its wifi card, I might throw Ubuntu on it, it's just a backup now that I have the tablet. Then I can at least find out for sure if the wi-fi is a hardware issue. It's more likely Windows 7 since the thing really wasn't designed for it and has no official drivers.

Since I am not using the netbook for art ubuntu is great for it. :)