The "New Toys" Thread

Those are some very expensive remotes. I'd like to find one that's got an aluminum body, but a fairly run of the mill set of internals to keep the cost somewhere close to affordable.

New snowboard!

New snowboard!

Not sure if this counts as technology but it's a new toy!

I'm actually not sure on my purchase of the board. It looks strangely shaped and I don't think it's as long as the crumby rental boards I've been using.

DSC_6977.jpg

DSC_6978.jpg

DSC_6979.jpg

DSC_6980.jpg

I'm only a novice/intermediate snowboarder and I've only ever used rental boards. Do you guys think that this board is an upgrade or is it too different to be used properly? I've been hearing its more of a park board than a powder board.

If any experts here could examine my purchase for me that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Apart from that, nobody can tell you if the board is a fit for you unless we know how much you weigh, how tall you are and what kind of terrain you ride... And what length the board is... ;-)

if you're a novice / intermediate, my best bet is you won't care what the board was supposedly made for anyway...

I'm 5'8" and 155lbs. Ride mostly groomed runs and hopefully moving up to heavier powder when I get better.

I kinda liked the book. :|

To not go totally offtopic, I bought this.

navigon40pluseu43-xtra1.jpg

I kinda liked the book. :|
To each their own I guess, but if you like that type of sci-fi check out Strugazkie.
To not go totally offtopic, I bought this.

navigon40pluseu43-xtra1.jpg
I really like those for some reason, they tend to get lost in the Garmin/TomTom crowd but I think they are good units.

Haven't tried the larger newer models, but we have a small cheap one, two years old I think.. Dear lord that's a piece of something-rude. Before that one we had a Garmin, that one was excellent, although it eventually broke. And my dad had (untill it got stolen) a TomTom and that was excellent as well.

However, if Navigons iPhone app is any indication about their current state, then they should be pretty good :) And that one right is quite pretty for a GPS unit.

That looks seriously slick, cheaper alternative to a Macbook Air? I'm sure it's thicker and heavier but it has great specs for the size and price :)

Here's my latest toy.

NggFj.jpg

A Tamiya Unimog 406 RC truck. I have never built or owned a RC car before but I always wanted one as a kid.
I guess it was just a fantasy I had to fullfil. Having done that I must say that I had a blast building and painting it.
The cutting of the excess parts...not so much.

Prepare to get jealous...

757071.jpg

A mind shattering ?5, the side buttons are for back and forth browser buttons, which are about the most useless thing i've ever seen. (Turns out I loved them)

See you again in another 6 years. *Fingers crossed.

Damn you cheap tat. Finally died on me after playing up for a few weeks.
Found an old ball mouse. How did computing ever catch on using these? I forgot how bad they were.

Last edited:
I finally got around to buying an Apple AirPort Extreme basestation, to replace my sucky cheap router. Just started using it, and already it's quite apparent that it's faster. Fingers crossed that it'll stay stabil :p

I finally got around to buying an Apple AirPort Extreme basestation, to replace my sucky cheap router. Just started using it, and already it's quite apparent that it's faster. Fingers crossed that it'll stay stabil :p
Congrats! I have never had to reboot mine and I'm a very heavy torrent user (something that used to kill my old one easily). Though in interest of full disclosure my NAT router/firewall is a separate box so the AEBS is only used for wireless/wired to the primary router. Having said that my old Linksys would still die on torrents even when I had a separate router in front of it.