The "New Toys" Thread

new-nexus-7124532.jpg

Lovely lovely device.

<3 the resolution and the snappy response.

The Workrite Sequioa can handle 3 monitors with a physical width of up to 23". Your 24" monitors may not be that wide, since the 24" is a diagonal measurement.
http://www.workriteergo.com/products/monitor-arms/sequoia/

The Humanscale ParaFlex can support up to three 26"monitors with the long arms. It's a two post system that only offers height adjustability of the full unit, but no forward extension...and it's nto a height you want to adjust all the time. Pay no attention to the list price. Assume you can get it for about 35% off if you buy through a commercial dealer.
http://humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=Para/Flex

paraflex_image5.jpg

If you want a triple monitor/single arm unit to act like a single monitor/single arm unit, in terms of movement, you're pretty much limited to 18" monitors (at largest). Also, the more weight you have on each desk mounting location (stand, edge clamp or grommet clamp), and the more you add movement and asjustability, you run into possible issues with shaking/boucing if you type with fervor.

Ooooh, thanks!

The paraflex is precisely what I was looking for! I'll lose the mobility, but meh... its not like I really mind when I have three screens. I also like the dual-post design: U2410s are not light monitors....

Not entirely sure what you mean by performance... but for my baseline requirements (wide-gamut IPS) VESA mounts are standard (I have three U2410s at home and a 2408 at work). Same goes for pretty much any business/professional monitor....

I had a specific fixed budget for a replacement monitor that had to be acquired locally within 12 hours. The choice from what was available locally and immediately came down to a very nice and well regarded ASUS IPS screen with fast refresh and no VESA mounts or a somewhat mediocre Samsung LED/TN screen with VESA but a lot slower refresh.

I went with the IPS unit.

My newest toy just arrived from 'mericuh.

Sena SMH5 Bluetooth headset for my motorcycle helmet. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to test it on a ride until this weekend but I'm pretty impressed just playing around with it at home. Surprisingly the red button on it automatically launched up Google Voice on my Android and the whole headset/phone interface works pretty seamlessly. Now I can listen to tunes, hear navigation directions, and make the occasional phone call.

Returned the 13inch Macbook Pro Retina and upsized to:

15-inch: 2.3GHz
with Retina display
Specifications
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)2

What was wrong with the 13"? Too small?

It was the perfect size, but it chugged when in CAD and doing some other stuff. I got caught out with you have to order the Retina with the Ram you want, it's non user upgradable. I only found out when I went to order more RAM and they said to me, 'But Sir, you're within your 14 day no questions asked return timeframe, we can supply you with at 16 GB model." So I went a little nuts and got a hamburger with the lot.

It's supposed to be a desktop replacement and this thing seems to fly. Really a decision between portability and power. And with the weight and thinness of the 15, it's really not to bad.

Last edited:
This makes me think that Apple should make a matte black MacBook Pro :p

Ugh, I'd cut off my right arm to use one of those if that were a real thing.

Well that was a mistake, the 15 inch is huge and went to a meeting today and instantly thought 'What have I done!'.

High end 13 inch on order and 15 inch returned. Apples return policy is great.