The "New Toys" Thread

Should I be pronouncing it "X-bone?"

Xbox 720

My internal sound card (Asus Xonar DGX) took a shit so I replaced it with this:

Creative X-Fi HD USB DAC/Amp

c26-B004275EO4-1-l.jpg

Plus it's got optical in so I can route my Xbone's sound through it. Need to pick up some 1/4 to 3.5mm adapters before I can use it, though.

Got it all hooked up and it sounds miles better than my DGX even.

I was considering replacing my headset (Beyerdynamics MMX300) as well but I can't find anything that comes close to the same combination of closed-back headphone quality, comfort, and a decent mic.

I mean there's the Qpad 1339 but those... are just rebranded MMX300s.

With GTA V for PC coming up, and one of my local tech stores having a liquidation sale, I figured now was a good time to replace my 560 Ti with one of these:

msi970-8b.jpg

It's an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Have to say, those heatsink pipes and the light-up MSI logo on the other side make it a really cool-looking GPU... oh, right, good performance too :p

Received as a birthday gift, Logitech g602:
g602_1.jpg

I didn't need another gaming mouse, but it's a really nice mouse... way nicer than the mouse I received last year, a mad catz cyborg r.a.t. 9.

So, since the Star Citizen podcast has been going on for over a year now and I want to continue with it, now follows a spur of the moment purchase. Because you can never have enough microphones.

5bc26621-01f0-479b-9846-cbb61118daaa._V322642392_.jpg
It's here and holy shit is it sensitive. It's picking up the computer's vibrations through the desk. I didn't even know it was happening.

With GTA V for PC coming up, and one of my local tech stores having a liquidation sale, I figured now was a good time to replace my 560 Ti with one of these:

View attachment 15823

It's an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Have to say, those heatsink pipes and the light-up MSI logo on the other side make it a really cool-looking GPU... oh, right, good performance too :p

Oooh, shiny. I didn't follow up on the 970 since the whole memory debacle. But a 4GB Version with 256 Bit memory bus does peak my interest again.

True. The Micro USB port also wears out over time and I'd rather preserve it as I already had connectivity issues with my previous phone.

To prevent it from happening again I bought a Magnector X2 for the magnetic charging point of my Xperia Z3 Compact.

51%2BZ2t9n8LL.jpg

Word of caution, I got Magnector X2 has well for my GF Z3, and last week the whole magnetic connector was ripped out from inside the phone when she tried to disconnect it. A quick Google search shows this is not an isolated incident, and in many case Sony refused to cover it under warranty.

Oooh, shiny. I didn't follow up on the 970 since the whole memory debacle. But a 4GB Version with 256 Bit memory bus does peak my interest again.

I was never too concerned about the memory debacle personally, certainly doesn't seem to impact the performance of the card significantly. It's taken everything I've thrown at it so far - even plays GTA IV pretty well at the highest settings with a few command line tweaks, and that game has always been an unoptimized pile of wank :p

A Logitech G27, the second one in less than 48hours. The first one I got 2days ago, but after a couple of hours of playing the wheel started to decenter on tight left turns(apparently a common problem with the "optical encoder"), so yesterday I went with it back and got a refund... but today I decided I should give it another try and bought another one.
res_d099a5328fbeee2822c5d664bb1526a5.jpg

It is indeed a common fault. Mine had it after 3 years (so no warranty), but it's easy enough to fix yourself and the problem hasn't resurfaced since.
That said though, in terms of bang for your buck no wheel beats the G27 in my opinion. Having used it for over 4 years (and a G25 before it) it has always performed excellently.
So I hope you'll have more luck with this one!

Brace yourselves for the future...

de654p.jpg

2a76710.jpg

2rpqs9e.jpg

This was on offer for ?2.99, it's brand new and came with ?4 credit. (The company stated that they had sold over 3000. :lol: )

It's the 2013 Samsung E1270 featuring:

Large 1.77? screen is great for viewing messages

Unbelievable fully-packed performance
Get the best performance with fully packed features. See more comfortably with the larger LCD display. Listen to FM radio and music with the greater convenience. Connect with Micro USB. Samsung E1270 is perfectly suited for those who want functionality and style in their everyday life.

The pursuit of simplicity
Samsung GT-E1270 was designed to fit perfectly in your hand, and was contoured with style and mobility in mind. This simple design allows you to put the phone into any pouch without worrying about space. Furthermore, the pebble-like exterior provides a comfortable grip with a more stylish outlook. With various colour options such as Ceramic White, you can match your phone with your individual style. With Samsung GT-E1270, enjoy true simplicity that enriches your active lifestyle.

It has:
  • no GPS
  • no Bluetooth
  • no camera (Not even a crummy 1.3MP)
  • no wifi
  • 2G Only
  • 83 grams
  • CPU Speed 208MHz
  • 32mb storage
  • and a whopping 800MAH battery
  • Talk Time Up to 11hr
  • Standby Time Up to 610hr. :mrgreen:
  • USB charger and headphones

Compared to the Nexus 6, it's a superleggera. It's nice to hold, like well warn soap.
It has a calculator, a conversion 'app', a stop watch and sudoku.

What am I going to do with it? Probably nothing, but... it was ?2.99. I like the idea of cloning my contract sim and then using this when I don't want to take the frankly enormous Nexus 6. Like when visiting nightclub establishments etc.

It's just a phone, its tiny, it weighs nothing, it has one hand usage. It makes calls and can send a text. I used to have a Moto V50, this reminds me of that.

de654p.jpg

2a76710.jpg

2rpqs9e.jpg

This was on offer for ?2.99, it's brand new and came with ?4 credit. (The company stated that they had sold over 3000. :lol: )

It has:
  • no GPS
  • no Bluetooth
  • no wifi
  • 2G Only
  • 83 grams
  • CPU Speed 208MHz
  • 32mb storage
  • Talk Time Up to 11hr

Compared to the Nexus 6, it's a superleggera. It's nice to hold, like well warn soap.

What am I going to do with it? Probably nothing, but... it was ?2.99. I like the idea of cloning my contract sim and then using this when I don't want to take the frankly enormous Nexus 6. Like when visiting nightclub establishments etc.

It's just a phone, its tiny, it weighs nothing, it has one hand usage. It makes calls and can send a text. I used to have a Moto V50, this reminds me of that.

Does it vibrate, though? Because I'm sure a vibrator would be more expensive ;) Could partly explain the high sales numbers :mrgreen:

Last edited:

de654p.jpg

2a76710.jpg

2rpqs9e.jpg

It has:
  • no GPS
  • no Bluetooth
  • no wifi
  • 2G Only
  • 83 grams
  • CPU Speed 208MHz
  • 32mb storage
  • Talk Time Up to 11hr

That's not an S6 Edge!

Seriously, do you have to fullquote the post with the three humongous pictures? :mad:

Apart from that, there would be two major issues for me:
- It's a flip-phone
- No Bluetooth

I have a Samsung E1130 as personal phone and I'm doing just fine, it has everything I need and nothing I don't need.

I actually like dumbphones like that a lot. For actual calls and texts they're brilliant. And they last a thousand days between recharges.