The "New Toys" Thread

2600 mAh is barely enough to charge a modern phone 2/3-3/4 of the way. I bought one like that a while ago and it was completely useless in practice. Got a 10000 mAh one from eBay, which is actually useful. I can charge my phone up fully 3x.

Its not great, however I have a 22500 mah. Which is great, but it's the size of a Fiat 500. I also have a 1000mah somewhere, which technically could give the Nexus 6 about a third of a battery.

I like power banks for wireless devices that need charging. Headphones, controllers and a Bluetooth speaker can still be charged and be used without annoying wires. I can also leave devices charging overnight without having everything plugged into the wall.

you must have insanely large pockets. I have a similarly sized 2600 Mah one, and pocketing that + the phone it's charging is a struggle already.
If you have an older and/or smaller phone you can get more than 1 full charge out of it, which is more than you need really...

10k and stuff is nice, but only if you're charging many things at the same time.

Besides, who is away from a plug for more than a day at a time anyways? I have one in the car (actually 2), one at work, and a million at home...

I use a 12200 mAh one to run two GoPros, a GoPro remote and a phone with navigation for a full day. At the end it's down to about 0-10%.

In deutsche franks he is.

Weee, got a shiny new 2TB WD Black drive. Took a couple days to actually get it up and running - had to "borrow" a SATA cable from work, and then my computer was actually just asleep when I hooked it up last night (holy fucking oops) and didn't feel like restarting because I was trying to do a thousand things at once. Also, I forgot about that spare old 250GB SSD I never actually hooked up but was in my computer... there was a disconnected SATA cable right next to it and a free plug on the power cable so I don't know why... but anyways that's actually plugged in now too. Yay.

Currently shuffling things around between drives.

My old 1TB got filled up after I started recording gopro footage, I figured I needed to expand a little bit but didn't feel like breaking my RAID mirroring. 2 more TBs is better 1 ;)

29" 2560x1080 Ultrawide monitor is on its way back to Newegg after some resolution/output compatibility issues with my laptop.

On it's way, supposedly with Sunday delivery, is a 24" 1920x1200 Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JN9310/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4.5/5 stars on Amazon after 1,000+ reviews. Engadget says, "After 3 years, this is still the best overall 24" monitor for most users. Some may beat it in individual catergories, but the overall package and price is still hard to beat...just ask the 23 other contenders we tested that didn't beat it." (paraphrasing)

It's the max res supported by the DVI output of my laptop/docking station. That extra 640 horizontal pixels sure would have been nice for all of the spreadsheet-type documents I work on. Currently running a 1980x1080 monitor, so I don't expect significant performance issues from my laptop.

I actually wanted a 27" of this res, but 4+ rated, $300-or-less options are few and far between. I do like the idea of the physical buttons on the frame, though. I work right next to a south-facing-window, in a room with poor lighting, so the light is constantly changing from one extreme, to another, to another so I'm frequently changing settings. The menu/limited capacitive buttons on the Samsung I'm currently using is kind of a pain.

343273-dell-ultrasharp-u2412m.jpg

Last edited:
29" 2560x1080 Ultrawide monitor is on its way back to Newegg after some resolution/output compatibility issues with my laptop.

On it's way, supposedly with Sunday delivery, is a 24" 1920x1200 Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JN9310/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4.5/5 stars on Amazon after 1,000+ reviews. Engadget says, "After 3 years, this is still the best overall 24" monitor for most users. Some may beat it in individual catergories, but the overall package and price is still hard to beat...just ask the 23 other contenders we tested that didn't beat it." (paraphrasing)

It's the max res supported by the DVI output of my laptop/docking station. That extra 640 horizontal pixels sure would have been nice for all of the spreadsheet-type documents I work on. Currently running a 1980x1080 monitor, so I don't expect significant performance issues from my laptop.

I actually wanted a 27" of this res, but 4+ rated, $300-or-less options are few and far between. I do like the idea of the physical buttons on the frame, though. I work right next to a south-facing-window, in a room with poor lighting, so the light is constantly changing from one extreme, to another, to another so I'm frequently changing settings. The menu/limited capacitive buttons on the Samsung I'm currently using is kind of a pain.

Thats the one I got at work, its quite nice

Last edited:
I currently on a jobsite where most employees have two, and a few have the 30" version. They seem pretty nice. A bit bulky (both in depth and bezel thickness), but it seems like, functionally, it'll be great.

They're good monitors, but after moving to wide-gamut monitors in 2012, I insist on wide-gamut for my desktop now. The wallet, it bleeeds :(

I currently on a jobsite where most employees have two, and a few have the 30" version. They seem pretty nice. A bit bulky (both in depth and bezel thickness), but it seems like, functionally, it'll be great.

I have 3 of it's more expensive, higher quality brethren (U2410) and it's big brother, th monster U3011. The U3011 has so much space for activities! (see previous page for pictures...)

Last edited:
OnePlus powerbank, ordered the sandstone but they delivered the white one, racists :p

y8Z59mi.jpg

Just picked up the dell soundbar for $12 on Amazon. Damn, if that isnt good value. Could it use more bass? Yes. Does it look great, feel good, have handy features and did it install in less that 2 minutes, including unboxing? Yes.

Just picked up the dell soundbar for $12 on Amazon. Damn, if that isnt good value. Could it use more bass? Yes. Does it look great, feel good, have handy features and did it install in less that 2 minutes, including unboxing? Yes.

I've always been impressed by Dell's under monitor sound bars :nod:. The integrated look isn't bad either.

My work-at-home desk is only 24x48", which has to house my laptop dock and 17" laptop, task lamp, Paper sorter, key oard and mouse. Doesnt really leave room for speakers. Monitor is already on a clamp-mount arm, but my desk it too low for me to use a keyboard tray.

My work-at-home desk is only 24x48", which has to house my laptop dock and 17" laptop, task lamp, Paper sorter, key oard and mouse. Doesnt really leave room for speakers. Monitor is already on a clamp-mount arm, but my desk it too low for me to use a keyboard tray.

I plan on getting a monitor with speakers built in. I know they aren't ideal even compared to the Dell sound bar but I've had a lot of exposure with them at work (we pretty much buy monitors with integrated speakers exclusively) and they aren't that bad for crap like youtube videos.

I plan on getting a monitor with speakers built in. I know they aren't ideal even compared to the Dell sound bar but I've had a lot of exposure with them at work (we pretty much buy monitors with integrated speakers exclusively) and they aren't that bad for crap like youtube videos.

My Asus monitor w/ speakers is actually pretty decent. At least for my needs. I have it hooked up to my Xbox for GTA V and its good enough for all the little sound effects.

Finally got around in buying that DSLR I've been looking to get for the past year or so.

It arrive today...

Canon-t5i-75-300mm.jpg

'Twas a bundle...

- Canon EOS Rebel T5i body
- 18-55mm lens
- 75-300mm lens
- 8 + 24 GB SD cards

...and a few other goodies.

BEWARE! The shutterbug is nigh! :mrgreen: