The "New Toys" Thread

Bought it for my HTC. I have to say it was super flimsy. Stopped using it after 2 days.

I must admit I was suspicious at first of the Neo Hybrid because of the flimsy outer part, especially after the Slim Armor which was made of two chunky parts and made the phone feel like a tank. I've gotten used to it though and have had no problems.

Got a new work phone:

vfcon084827.jpg

64GB version in silver. Only had to pay a small part of the price (subsidized by the company), otherwise I'd never buy a phone this overpriced. But with the choice being 8/8+/X, 8 not really being an upgrade worth getting over my 6S (imho), and 8+ being very nearly as expensive as the X (after subsidy), the choice was rather easy.

So far, I like it quite a lot. It's only a few mm larger than the 6S, but offers a lot more screen real estate while still fitting nicely in my hand. The display is quite good. Glass back is a fingerprint magnet and not really of any use, but I'll cover it with a thin case anyway. Face ID seems fine so far, if sometimes a tiny bit slower than Touch ID used to be. And many apps still need updates to use the new screen format.

Here it is setup. I think I got one size to large, so now I need a bigger desk. Ah, first world problems. :D

20171123_184918_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Over-ear, noise-cancelling headphones. Because "open space" office layout. So, not really a toy...

Fanatec CSL Elite Starter Pack (XB1 edition)

lZT49rO.jpg

I was originally going to pick up the newer PS4 version to replace my T300RS (the Fanatec was the wheel I originally wanted to buy, but at the time, I had no idea when it would come out), but this was one of Fanatec's Black Friday deals, and ended up being $200 cheaper, which made it a much easier choice. The only real downgrade compared to the T300RS is the pedals. The set included with my old wheel was one of Thrustmaster's triple pedal sets. As you can plainly see above, the standard CSL Elite pedalset has two. Now, Fanatec does sell a brake kit that replaces the old potentiometer-based brake pedal (which becomes the clutch pedal) with a much better loadcell-based unit. I was also considering picking one up with it. I didn't.

yy1ANms.jpg

I picked up one of their other BF deals, the Clubsport V3 Inverted pedals, instead.

So I bought one of these.

24-025-514-V09.jpg

It is a 34" LG. It was delivered today, but I haven't set it up yet.

Do you need eyes set like a pigeon to see it all?

Over-ear, noise-cancelling headphones. Because "open space" office layout. So, not really a toy...

Are they hooked into your office phone?

Do you need eyes set like a pigeon to see it all?

No, I just needed to set it back a bit further than my previous monitor. But there is a better monitor(same size and maker, higher Hz rate) that has popped up since that I almost wish I would have waited for, but it was about 90 bucks more, so I think I still did alright.

Sure, we all want OLED 4k Ultrawide displays that cost as much as a slightly used car.

I wouldn't mind new/bigger screens.. but that'd also mean that I'd want to the resolution.. and that'd also mean that I'd have to replace my GPU... and then I'm basically looking at a new PC. Can't do that, can't afford that. All my money goes into car parts and plane tickets ;).

For me (old guy that mostly plays older games), the resolution is not all that. Plus this is a step up in resolution for me. The old 1600 x 900 monitor was getting long in the tooth.

I have not noticed anything. I have tweaked the video settings a bit, but that is expected. Other than that, it looks good.

Picked up a pair of ANC headphones for work on Cyber Monday.

Definitive Technology Symphony-1
81m4n6e7cVL._SY550_.jpg

Great looking cans, but so far audio quality is leaving something to be desired (I normally rock DT770 32ohms at work). I'll let them burn in today and wear them all day, make a decision on keeping them at that point. ANC is super nice for my open office. The carrying case they came in is phenomenal. Large, partitions for cables, and great presentation. Love that.

CLtazPl.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a new monitor toooo!

DELL SE27 17H, a 27", 1080. After 7 years with a 15" CTR monitor, then another 7 years on a 15" laptop and 1 year on a 5 year old 17" LCD this is a HUGE change! Still cant get used to the size. Very happy.

Wathed Baby Driver today and its great!

dell-se2717h-fhd-ips-monitor-gallery-0004.jpg

q9Dev4p.png

Roku Streaming Stick+ on a Black Friday sale, to stop having to use a chromecast and my phone as a remote for Plex/Youtube on my TV. Pretty nice and painless.

Blayde;n3541428 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/q9Dev4p.png"}[/IMG2]

Roku Streaming Stick+ on a Black Friday sale, to stop having to use a chromecast and my phone as a remote for Plex/Youtube on my TV. Pretty nice and painless.

I've had one for about a year, that combined with a travel router is how I can keep my sanity when I travel for work.

Youtube/Netflix/Amazon Prime on my hotel room TV makes for a HappyRdK