The "New Toys" Thread

Asus R2H

2006-11-05_175418_asus_r2_h.jpg

rumble25.jpg

Pro_SD_1GB_133x.jpg

It's been an expensive day. Fortunately, insurance is paying for the R2H!

What did you have before that, that was stolen or lost etc?

I had an HP iPaq HX4700, which was a great Pocket PC. Someone waltzed into my office and took it when I had stepped out for a moment. (I know exactly who took it, but I can't prove anything.) Nobody makes a Pocket PC with a 4" VGA screen anymore (I used it for work and schoolwork), so I convinced my insurance agent to replace it with the R2H. :mrgreen:

Got 3 250gb WD external hard disks today :)

one for work

one for top gear / fifth gear / other car stuff

one for music

Western_Digital_My_Book_Essential_Edition_400GB_USB2_0_7200rpm.jpeg

250GB of music. You're doing well there. I want one of those, would help with my now expanding school section.

I've had the 500GB version for a few months. Not too impressed as it's a bit noisy in operation. Oh and it's full already. :( (Can't even download stuff anymore... work just fills it up... :( )

My new toy:

maxseos400d.jpg

Some of you may know just how long I've been waiting to get my own DSLR, having borrowed my Dads a lot over the last year. Well, finally had enough money put aside, plus the Canon rebate at the moment, plus a student discount, plus a ?50 Amazon voucher for a poster I did a few weeks back which won a prize... The 400D has cost me ?320-ish... :) (brand new from Amazon) I went for body only as I have my old lenses from my film EOS... but found out yesterday just how useless they are with the 1.6x factor you've gotta take into account for not having a 35mm sensor size. Really rather gutted at that as I can't take my favoured wide-angle shots anymore... :(

But the camera is not bad... ;) Only taken a dozen shots since I got it on Friday (no time) but will make up for that soon... Woohoo!

I am planning on getting that camera also?

How is it?

Does that dust shaker thing work?

Between those two, definitely the D80.

Unfortunately even I'd have to agree. I only bought the 400D as I already have compatible EOS lenses thus saving me a fortune later on down the line. If I didn't have them, I'd have gone D80 as I much prefer the feel of it (the 400D is just a bit too small). I've had Canon nearly all my life but even I think the D80 is marginally better.

Granted I could've sold my lenses and bought the D80 but that would've lost me money and made my film EOS cameras useless (I still shoot in B&W film when I get the chance).

I was very tempted to go a step up to the EOS 30D but decided now isn't the time for me to go spending ?700 on a camera...

Don't get me wrong, the 400D is fantastic and the more I use it the more I love it. But I don't feel anywhere near as excited about it as I did when I got my first EOS film camera...

on pricegrabber the 400D is much much cheaper than the D80. Is there a reason for this?

Why do you think the D80 is better?

on pricegrabber the 400D is much much cheaper than the D80. Is there a reason for this?

Don't know why the 400D is much much cheaper, but for me it was personal preference. When I played with the D80 it felt much more comfortable. It's a very personal thing, but for me everything was just in the right place from the moment I used it. The Canon I'm still going to have to get used to in spite of having used a 350D on the odd occasion over the last year (and more frequently than the D80).
Don't get me wrong, the 400D isn't at all a bad camera (heck, if it was I wouldn't have bought it or would've returned it by now!) and I know that I'm going to enjoy it once I get used to it. Also, I reckon the two are very similar. But the D80 just felt better. Strange perhaps, and difficult to explain but that was my feeling.

If you're not sure, go into the photography section and ask there. There's plenty there who have more experience of the different cameras than me...

Well...eh, because they are in a different price group. The 400D is the most basic DSLR model in the Canon range, and for Nikon it's the D40(x). D80 is somewhere between the basic model and the semi-pro D200. Canon really doesn't have a direct competitor for the D80, since their next best, the 30D is already a more expensive semi-pro model.

Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70A Plasma

ht.jpg

Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70A Plasma

ht.jpg

Ooh now those VHS tapes to the left will really shine :) (jk) nice setup you have there.

As for me, got a new phone for work. Cheapest nokia there is, cost "the man" 40 euros.
Quite a lot of phone for 40 euros, specially seeing the other ones go in the hundreds of euros. The plastic does seem very cheap and thin. But the rest is what it's supposed to be. A few years ago this colour screen would have been wow :p

http://img255.imageshack.**/img255/4718/nokia1600wo9.th.jpg