The "New Toys" Thread

So, in your qualified opinion, what does this say about me: I'm in the market for an mp3 player. I know there's other mp3 players on the market, but if / when I buy one I'll be buying an 80Gb Classic iPod. Why? Because I love the design & interface, and the Gb/$ is hard to beat. So what does that make me?

undisputable by whome? the general public? is that the same general public that watches mtv and buys suv's? that's saying something.

Oh I see, you're slagging on Apple because it's the 'trendy' choice? Sometimes the trendy choice is nothing but a fad, but sometimes the general public actually catch onto something decent.

You really wanna get into this? Tell me which one you think looks better:

iphone_34.jpg
vs.
htc-touch_48.jpg

aluminum-apple-imac.jpg
vs.
dell_xps_720_h2c_beauty_shot.jpg

nano169.jpg
vs.
zen_visionm04.jpg

Anyway, believe what you want. Enjoy a lifetime of using ugly-ass electronics just for wanting to be unique.

Last edited:
Someone who didn't consider other aspects of an mp3 player and if you care about any of those at all (which i do, storage isn't everything, if i wanted storage, i'd buy an external hdd) will be bitching about them untill you replace it or become complacant with the drawbacks, in which case there's no helping you.

Yes but we were talking about Apple's design prowess or lackthereof. The features and "other aspects" do not enter into this discussion.

Someone who didn't consider other aspects of an mp3 player and if you care about any of those at all (which i do, storage isn't everything, if i wanted storage, i'd buy an external hdd) will be bitching about them untill you replace it or become complacant with the drawbacks, in which case there's no helping you.

You're presuming I haven't considered other aspects... Yes, I'm fully aware of the bitching about the sound quality & reliability of the iPods. But some of that is down to just plain Apple-bashing. I have friends who've had iPods and haven't had a problem. As for sound quality - the iPods sound just fine to me.

In my opinion the iPod design is the best, and I really like the interface. I'm not a fan of iTunes, but I'd only be using it to transfer music to the iPod. The range of accessories available for the iPod also plays a part in the decision.

The fault in your argument is that you're assuming that just because people are choosing the popular option that means they're ill-informed and haven't done the research.

One of the things that i don't get is why get such a large hdd, if not use it to transfer non-music data once in a while? and if you want to do that, the ipod is useless, because it doesn't support MSC. And if you're even a bit of an audiophile, the lack of any lossless formats, even ogg vorbis, which is much supperior to mp3, not to mention all the other crap formats, is a major drawback. Combine that with poor battery life and you end up with nothing but a mediocre product. But hey, at least other people will think you're stylish.

One of the things that i don't get is why get such a large hdd, if not use it to transfer non-music data once in a while? and if you want to do that, the ipod is useless, because it doesn't support MSC. And if you're even a bit of an audiophile, the lack of any lossless formats, even ogg vorbis, which is much supperior to mp3, not to mention all the other crap formats, is a major drawback. Combine that with poor battery life and you end up with nothing but a mediocre product. But hey, at least other people will think you're stylish.

Sorry Ice, I'm gonna have to disagree with you as well (much as I hate this having become another iPod vs. the World thread).
I have had my iPod for 18 months now. When I bought it I still had (and still have) an old 20Gig Creative Zen. I loved (and still do) the Zen - Even I'll admit the 2003 ( ? ) Zen has better sound quality to my 2006 5th Gen Video iPod. However After daily use since I got it (I only bought it as I got it almost free with my MacBookPro on student discount, else I'd have got another Zen), the battery life is still very good. Much much better than the zen had after 6 months use. And whenever I go travelling for a long period of time (i.e. on a coach for 20 hours) I have a ?12 Belkin battery thing that takes 4AA batteries and gives 20 more hours of use! So:
1) because of the popularity of the iPod you have sooo many different accessories available for it, now with many different manufacturers offering competing products. Bonus.
2) Linked to (1) - I can now plug my iPod directly into my car headunit and control the iPod from the headunit plus see what I'm playing on the headunit. Freaking awesome.
3) Granted a Mac thing, but ideal for me as I no longer use Windose... When I 'sync' it up (even though it's formatted as a PC disk - so I can use it for storing data if I want to on it using either Windows or Linux machines as well as Mac!) with my Mac, it stores all my calendar events plus all my contacts and much more with the Mac. Again, freaking awesome - especially when travelling without laptop and my mobile phone stops working abroad (as happened a couple of months ago).
4) Your arguement "why get such a large hdd, if not use it to transfer non-music data once in a while?" is a bit weak - I have well over 100 Gigs of music (note: all off my own purchased CDs before you shout illegal downloads, and all high quality VBR rips making the most I can out of the MP3 format) and so even my 60 Gig iPod has no where near enough space and often I'm deleting stuff to fit more on. One of the new larger ones would be superb for me.
5) I'll agree lack of a proper lossless format is a serious drawback but it can handle large sized (i.e. high bitrate) MP3s without problems. In fact, I'm gonna give you this one - it's a pain it doesn't support Ogg. Yes it has AAC, but I don't want to rip all my CDs again to AAC only to be able to play them on Macs. Unfortunately this is the same for Ogg TBH. And this kinda is my argument - I know it doesn't support lossless at the moment, and this is bad, but so far there's been no real uptake (as usual) of any one format that I've seen. Until this happens for one good format, I'm not ripping all my CDs again.

Sorry, I generally agree with what you say and really have no issue with you Ice. I also normally don't bother ranting, and I love my Apple stuff but I normally stay well out of these arguements. I just don't like that you're spouting this stuff out about how we've not researched MP3 players when clearly you're not seeing that maybe there was a reason we've actually got them other than going with the tide?! Notice, this is the tech section - chances are the guys that post in here know a little about tech so have done their research before opening their wallet.
Yes, I got mine almost free. But if I didn't decide I wanted it beforehand, I'd have sold it before I opened the cellophane.

/done.

Oh I see, you're slagging on Apple because it's the 'trendy' choice? Sometimes the trendy choice is nothing but a fad, but sometimes the general public actually catch onto something decent.

You really wanna get into this? Tell me which one you think looks better:

iphone_34.jpg
vs.
htc-touch_48.jpg

aluminum-apple-imac.jpg
vs.
dell_xps_720_h2c_beauty_shot.jpg

nano169.jpg
vs.
zen_visionm04.jpg

Anyway, believe what you want. Enjoy a lifetime of using ugly-ass electronics just for wanting to be unique.

frankly i like the HTC touch more than the iPhone

as well as the XPS more than the iMac

however i would take the iPod over the Zen

Hey! I'll have you know that my XPS looks great! Even though it's as big as a house as weighs as much as one.....

Lets just say I love BB's return policy...and god this thing is beautiful and really well built, but it doesn't feel right in my hands.

My Dad has a HTC Touch, and it really is great. Its tiny, and fairly subtle, unlike the iPhone. Out of the computers, I'd have the XPS, and out of the MP3s I'd have the Nano, only due to its such ease with use and loading stuff onto it with iTunes.

I have to say, that Apple monitor is pretty dang ugly :barf:

But Shawn, you're arguing a moot point. As far as looks go, it all boils down to personal taste, as with any product.

How did IceBone just turn a picture of a Gaming Mouse into another of his retarded rants about Apple sucks and how hes special because he dosent have a iPod?

Give it a rest! No one likes you and turning every discussion into a Apple vs. Me thing isn't helping your rep.

Edit: Yes the XPS is way more sex than the iMac, though i'd get all my stuff in Chrome and Black Gloss if i could.

I just made a comment, why did everybody reply so hatefully, if they didn't have so much pent up hate against everything non-apple in the first place? ;)

I agree, I think the white iMacs looked a lot better. Plus I was very disappointed that it wasn't actually glass but just plastic on the screen.

Anyway, I don't think it's a moot argument because Apple's designs are just so much better than the rest. IceBone was insinuating that Apple's doesn't know how to design stuff and... well they do. All the products I posted up there might work so much better and more efficiently than the Apple products, but you guys honestly tell me a plastic puke coloured HTC looks better than a slim, brushed metal and glassy screen iPhone?

That's it, sorry to have gone off topic. I didn't mean to turn this into an Apple v. the rest argument, but I do think it's pretty hilarious that someone would call Apple's designs into question.

I have to say, that Apple monitor is pretty dang ugly :barf:

But Shawn, you're arguing a moot point. As far as looks go, it all boils down to personal taste, as with any product.

IMHO; the HTC touch looks pretty good in black.
And the Iphone just looks like it does because Apple got their hands on a new type of touchscreen that registers 2 inputs at the same time. Either they waited for that, or else their concept would have been just run of the mill...

Anyway, I still like the styling, but I completely hate the way Apple is forcing providers to budge with their billing, though. And not using UTMS in Europe is just plain fucked. 99% of new phones over here have that, but the alleged best phone EVER doesn't.

BTW, I have for 6 months now a 4GB walkman phone with touchscreen and UTMS... And I didn't get ripped of with the billing...

But hey, at least other people will think you're stylish.

Where did I say I gave a shit what other people thought? I like the iPod - it meets my needs, I love how it looks and works. I don't care what other people think of my choice. End of.

Last edited:
Because i have an opinion? Gosh, sir, i'll be sure to keep my opinions to myself in the future. didn't know freedom of speech was already taken away from the internet! A thousand pardons!

Jesus H Christ would you people just go back to the freaking topic? This is the "New Toys" thread not "I have the aesthetic tastes of a donkey's balls".

Apple's market cap is currently set at $161.69 billion, above IBM at $155.87 billion and Intel at $151.90 billion. Dell, often called the most popular PC maker, has a market cap of $63.70 billion, and closed on Wednesday at $28.49.

Apple wouldn't be worth that much if they made shit products. You may hate Apple for being trendy, "in" or whatever but their products are kick ass. If you find them too pricey then just say so.

Canon Adapter XL for Canon
Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 Card Reader
4 pcs Sandisk 8GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card
Sandisk Extreme FireWire CompactFlash Card Reader
WhiBal G6 Trio White Balance Card Kit

From BHPhoto :)