The "New Toys" Thread

Well, Its just a maybe. I have an old 200watt aiwa home stereo hooked up to my computer right now and its got excellent quality, plus, I got it for 25 dollars. so until that quits, I'm happy.

Even the best PC speakers don't really sound that good compared to regular speakers and a decent receiver. For instance, even the best Logitech sets lack a proper high-range driver and the satellites can't produce great midrange, either. The result is unbalanced sound with too much bass, due to the subwoofer overpowering everything.

I picked up a Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver and some Infinity TSS-450 speakers to get started, the speakers are a bit cheap and lack the lower range I want, but they're cheap so I don't feel bad about upgrading them later on. They still sound much better than the Logitech Z-2200s did.

Word. I use a Yamaha receiver to power two Sanyo bookshelves in front and two Technics floorstanders in back. Much better sound than "PC" speakers for very little money.

They still sound much better than the Logitech Z-2200s did.

Well I should sure hope so. Those are 200 watt 2.1 speakers, i.e. super "meh".

^ You're proving my point. Even at the higher end of the spectrum, PC speakers are junk. :p

That's high end? :lol:

HardwareBob and my speakers are 250% as powerful at 505W RMS and sound probably 250% as good, and there are even better systems from Logitech out there (7.1, etc.). ;)

They have the same subwoofer and drivers. More of the same equipment doesn't equal better sound. ;)

Oh, well, still, it's more than just 3 extra speakers. All the satellites run more wattage (60-70) as does the woofer. This helps a ton IMO.

But regardless, I'm the first to admit these aren't studio speakers and one would have to be pretty clueless to expect to get a 5.1 set for $250.

I personally think these sound pretty dang good though, especially for their cost. Maybe a little thumpy in the bass department, but hey, since when is that a bad thing? :p

My Logitech Z-640s sound awesome, especially since I only paid $50 for them like four years ago.

got quite a bit of new stuff lately :

2 x 500gb seagate hdd 32mb cache, thinking about putting them on raid 0 : o

Seagate500Gb32mbHDD.jpg

GeCube HD3850 512mb card (arrives on friday)

14-241-068-03.jpg

another 22" LCD monitor. now i have two : )

newmonitor2.jpg

dual22inchlcdsetup.jpg

while im at it, im thinking of installing a liquidcooling system in my pc, any suggestions?

2 x 500gb seagate hdd 32mb cache, thinking about putting them on raid 0 : o

You main RRAID (Russian Roulette Array of Inexpensive Disks)? :p

while im at it, im thinking of installing a liquidcooling system in my pc, any suggestions?

Yeah, my suggestion is don't.

Water cooling is HIGHLY overrated IMO. It can't cool much better than air as it's reliant on the room temperature still and creates a HUGE risk if something fails (bye bye computer!). The only advantage is that it can be quieter, although I have all my fans spinning nearly off and while the CPU is a bit warm at 43C idle, who cares? It's damn quiet (can't hear it) and well within heat margins for the chip.

Now phase change on the other hand is awesome, but that's really for those who want to do some serious overclocking.

Yeah, my suggestion is don't.

Water cooling is HIGHLY overrated IMO. It can't cool much better than air as it's reliant on the room temperature still and creates a HUGE risk if something fails (bye bye computer!). The only advantage is that it can be quieter, although I have all my fans spinning nearly off and while the CPU is a bit warm at 43C idle, who cares? It's damn quiet (can't hear it) and well within heat margins for the chip.

thats what i heard as well, but my main reason is to reduce the noise level. The CPU sits on 40c something during max load so im happy with that.

New toys:

10mbit down 1mbit up:

COMES WITH FULL THROTTLE!!!!! =(

please click and look at the speeds at the lower right hand corner.

http://img166.imageshack.**/img166/6725/16838252hf8.jpg

thats what i heard as well, but my main reason is to reduce the noise level. The CPU sits on 40c something during max load so im happy with that.

Just turn down your fan speeds then.

New toys:

10mbit down 1mbit up:

COMES WITH FULL THROTTLE!!!!! =(

please click and look at the speeds at the lower right hand corner.

That's only 5 megabits. :?

http://img352.imageshack.**/img352/1753/dlfasthp4.png

http://img352.imageshack.**/img352/6128/ulfastpa1.png

:whistle:

Sadly that's just my seedbox and not my home line. :/

^ Yeah, I get the same download speed he has with my 6 mbit connection

^Can't argue with viper007bond and hardwarebob on the z5500, I have those myself and it's perfect! The maximum I have turned it on was almost to the 3/4 mark, and that was already enough to wake the entire neighbourhood, and the sound was still crystal clear :grin:

But a question for z5500 owners, I have blown the 2Amp fuse 3 times already, any I idea what might the problem be? If I have all the connections intact when I change the fuse, it blows, but unplugging all the connections including the control centre works fine, a possible faulty unit? or some electrical issues, I did have the power socket overloaded, but have since changed it and it seems to be working fine.. what do you think guys?

This just got delivered (being 3 days late):

441249.jpg

HP Designjet 110 NR ISO A1 printer, with a roll of paper at the back:

hpdesignjet110_w.jpg

Just to give you a size estimate, the paper on the roll is 59.4 cm (23.4") wide.

^ Why do you need a roll printer? Do you do drafting and shit like that?

I have the oldest most useless HP printer, but I can't justify buying another since I rarely print anything. But you have to feed sheets of paper one by one it's gotten so old and crappy.