The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah, there's nothing like a good cheap linksys. It just does what it's told, hehe. And then it's even better if you flash it with custom firmware.

I just got this :D
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mg/mgkdk/2008/04/08/DSC_2018.JPG

You mean that Tomato firmware? our model didn't support that :(

You could get one of these
Pic

with one of these
Pic

And one of these
Pic

To get the sound from the PS3 into the speakers.

I don't think I would need the extension cables, but I have been wondering, that wouldn't give me surround sound.

My speakers have 3 x 3.5mm jacks for inputting it. 1 for the front, one for the rear, and one for the centre/subwoofer.

Therefore I would need the final output from the PS3 to have 3 of them, instead of 1 which you suggest.

The only other way I could see it working, is plug the PS3 into an optical socket in my motherboard, then my computer outputs it to the speakers. But I don't know whether that would work.

I can't remember if I put Tomato on my WRT54GS. I know I looked at it, but I can't see any clues on the config pages. Are there any major advantages with Tomato? My router randomly reboots (which I'm guessing is down to the load of modern internet speeds), is Tomato likely to fix this?

I don't think I would need the extension cables, but I have been wondering, that wouldn't give me surround sound.

My speakers have 3 x 3.5mm jacks for inputting it. 1 for the front, one for the rear, and one for the centre/subwoofer.

Therefore I would need the final output from the PS3 to have 3 of them, instead of 1 which you suggest.

The only other way I could see it working, is plug the PS3 into an optical socket in my motherboard, then my computer outputs it to the speakers. But I don't know whether that would work.

The problem is you PS3 has digital audio out, which you want to convert into analogue signals. It's just not possible from what I can find. Maplin do an optical to coax converter here but that won't convert it to an analogue signal.

^ I've seen that thing in my searching. It only has one (yellow) phono output, so I think that just ignores the audio and sticks with video. But I may be wrong.

^ I've seen that thing in my searching. It only has one (yellow) phono output, so I think that just ignores the audio and sticks with video. But I may be wrong.

It's not video, that is a digital audio socket. I have this type, the optical type and the 3x3.5mm all on my PC, which kinda shows that there's not an easy way to convert between them.

The cheapest way to do this might be to buy a new surround system. :(

You cannot connect a digital audio output to an analogue audio input. At least not directly. They are quite simply not in anyway compatible.

So it is totally impossible to connect your ps3 or Sky box to your speaker system without some electronics in between. Especially so as the ps3 and Sky are optical out! And the output of the ps3 and Sky box could be in one of several surround formats that will need decoding into the six signals your speaker system is expecting.

So you need, a surround sound format decoder to convert from Dolby or DTS encoded into Front L, Front R, Rear L, Rear R, Centre and Sub signals then digital to analogue conversion to convert the decoded signals to analogue to feed the speakers.

It is simply not a matter of choping a few plugs off one set of wires and soldering on a new plug! if you plug a digital signal into an analogue system then at best you will hear nothing. At worst it will blow the speakers!

^Meh. I will try a few more things, then get annoyed at everything. I suppose I could send the speakers back (they are brand new) and get some different ones.

Dunno, but for 60 Euros = 40 pounds, you'll get a Logitech X-540, 5.1 that is probably better, and cheap soundsystems suck anway...

For 150 Euros there is a KICKASS teufel system (http://www.teufel.de/de/PC-Systeme/Concept-E2.cfm) that WILL rock your world. IMHO its a disgrace to use a modern console with a shitty sound system... Especially for car awesomeness playback...

Excellent choice! :thumbsup: You can't beat getting a new 30GB player for under $100. I was considering one like that but I've already got more than 30 gigs of stuff on my Zune 80.

The software does take some getting used to. Sometimes it won't detect all my files but once I run zMeta all of them show up. Although the software seems to refust to detect songs if they aren't tagged properly. zAlternator is another option that (supposedly) allows you to use other media players to sync with. It seems to have a 50-50 success rate and I'm in the 50% that it doesn't seem to work for. The forums there have been really helpful for me. I even got a free case that plays music. :)

Well, I'm not really a fan of the Zune, but I needed a car player and found a red one at Target for $93 brand new.

Wow, that is a good deal. I paid around $100 for a 4GB Creative about a year ago :( Though the Creative is much smaller in physical size, but not like that really matters unless you use it for jogging or something.

The OEM interface is supposedly very good. New firmware for the old Zune will bring all the new features of the new Zune (except for hardware related upgrades, obviously). Wireless syncing is one of those features.