The Nürburgring thread

Also, this is what a heavy traffic and lots of accidents look like from the car:

[video=youtube;Q-2Nc3aGCBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-2Nc3aGCBU[/video]

That really shows how very not-far you are able to look ahead on that track. :-o The driver of the camera car was clearly someone who knew what he was doing, to the point of eventually just giving up on the lap and sticking to the right. And still...

We should all remember that this track can and will frequently surprise you in a nasty, crashed-car-around-the-next-corner way when doing our laps.

I was initially bummed when I heard about the track being open for tourist drives in VLN layout (as shown in the video) only after the fact, but browsing YouTube for videos of that day, I'm kind of glad I didn't go there.

You want fast? How about Augusto Farfus in his DTM BMW giving you fast? And he basically didn't even try.

(via BridgeToGantry)

Also: The Ringmeeters and people watching Nordschleife videos will know the cute blue Golf I with historic (black) Dutch plates and Viktoria Station sticker on the windscreen. Here's an onboard video. Why the hell didn't I have a closer look at that car before?

Holy fuck, I've seen that car on and off the track a lot and knew it was fast, but damn! And does it have 4 wheel steering? The way it corners is... unnerving.

I remember seeing that Golf parked near the camping main building...:blink:

I couldn't find any info on the car...must be all written in Dutch. :p

Holy fuck, I've seen that car on and off the track a lot and knew it was fast, but damn! And does it have 4 wheel steering? The way it corners is... unnerving.

No, that's what a light car without Audi levels of understeer does. :p Sounds rather tame on the inside though, compared to how audible it is on the outside amongst the traffic. And with that I mean tone, rather than pure volume, which I assume it has plenty of.

Last edited:
Creature comforts, though. :p That thing can't weigh more than 750kg.

Which one is Cowboy?

<3

Fitting :)

I was initially bummed when I heard about the track being open for tourist drives in VLN layout (as shown in the video) only after the fact, but browsing YouTube for videos of that day, I'm kind of glad I didn't go there.

Been there, done that :D. You should have come ;). That feeling, when you "race" your own car over the start/finish straight of the GP circuit. The gigantic road ... that was something realy special <3.

What would I give to drive the N?rburgring in its original state, how it was before it was changed in the very early 70s.

I am still searching for a full onboard of a pre-71 lap on the Ring. If anyone knows one, feel free to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aNnZ4q80s

I know, not complete, but a few nice POV shots ;). If you already knew this video, then just ignore it :p.

Thanks - but I already knew that one. Still nice to post, as others probably don't. :)

The reason I want to see an onboard of pre-71 is because they changed some parts, for example at Kesselchen there was a little and dangerous "jump" (must've looked way different back then), as was before the Schwalbenschwanz/kleines Karussel, as you can see in your video. This has since been erased. Somewhere there must be the complete footage of these three minutes lying as the camera was running all the time, but I literally can't find anything that shows a proper onboard lap of the pre-71 Ring. That footage is probably gone all bad already.

Wouldn't even be surprised if that Formula V car in your video and the W125 of Hermann Lang are the only and earliest onboard footages of the Ring.

Last edited: