The Physical Conditioning -thread

I'm going to hit the gym again tomorrow. What would you guys recommend I focus on since I'm still quiet restriced in terms of leg movement at the moment...

Depends....can you bend your knee at all, say to a 90 degree angle and can you load any weight on it ? If you answered yes to both: bench press, bicep curls, one arm rows, upper back with lat machine.....basically if you can sit down and keep yourself stable, you can do pretty much anything.

If you can't stress your knee, but can sit down with the knee bent...still bicep curls sitting down on a bench, upper back with lat machine, pull ups, abdominals with various techniques...still quite a lot to choose from.

If you can't put literally any load on the knee....then you're screwed and I'd suggest staying home until your knee can take at least something.

I mean, I was planning on just doing all upper body stuff, so no cardio, no leg press, etc.

At the moment the only cardio I'm doing is walking my dog everyday.

I mean, I was planning on just doing all upper body stuff, so no cardio, no leg press, etc.

Now that's an easy one, this is the order I would go: bench press, shoulder press, upper back with lat machine, one arm rows, upright row and pecs with cable crossover machine.

And finish it off with a few sets of abdominals and lower back workout.

That should give you a pretty good overall upper body workout. Of course you could only concentrate on the upper back or pecs or whatnot but if I had such a long break from gym, I would try to do a solid overall workout.

Last edited:
Yep, I can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow. Haven't been for so long, I miss it.

Need to burn off that extra weight and get back to the slimmer, fitter version of me :)

Here are legit exercises:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-overhead-press-with-correct-technique/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-with-proper-technique-avoid-shoulder-injuries/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-pull-ups-and-chin-ups-with-proper-technique/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-barbell-row-with-proper-technique/

Though your knee will be the determining factor, just start with an empty bar for all the exercises and work on form. If your knee is really bothering you while doing squats with an empty bar, then you'll definitely want to hold back on that. Same with deadlifts (both are leg heavy exercises). Bench press and overhead press are fairly simple compared to squats and deadlifts (you'll definitely want to stay away from cleans, snatches etc for now). You can substitute dumbbells for both bench press and overhead press except you sit upright instead of standing.

I would recommend doing free weights only. Pretty much every single machine simplifies an exercise and you don't get nearly as much out of it. Example: On this one lat pull down machine, I worked my way up to pull down 200lbs relatively easily. In real life, I weigh ~170lbs and I can barely do a pullup. Another example: on this one leg press machine I could push the whole rack of 450-500lbs. In real life, the most I've ever squatted was ~170lbs.

Anyone have any tips for improving running times and endurance?

I'm trying to prepare for the AF PFT test, which uses the 1.5 mile measurement. Having never been much of a runner before, my legs are build for strength, not endurance.

I think the biggest obstable I'm having is that the constant ground-pound pressure is hurting my joints after a bit, which knocks off my running posture and thus time and rhythm. I've tried running in half-mile intervals to ease it up a bit, but I'd still like to go about improving my time for the complete distance.

Thanks.

Anyone have any tips for improving running times and endurance?

I'm trying to prepare for the AF PFT test, which uses the 1.5 mile measurement. Having never been much of a runner before, my legs are build for strength, not endurance.

I think the biggest obstable I'm having is that the constant ground-pound pressure is hurting my joints after a bit, which knocks off my running posture and thus time and rhythm. I've tried running in half-mile intervals to ease it up a bit, but I'd still like to go about improving my time for the complete distance.

Thanks.

Well...what is your running/overall fitness background so far: are you starting from pretty much nothing or have something to something to rely on ?

First of all if your joints hurt, buy a pair of proper running shoes, an I do mean the expensive stuff, not the nonsense the local super market has.

Second of all your running technique may be off: the most common mistake I have noticed with inexperienced runners is, that their step tends to be very "thumping" up and down movement instead of a rolling step, which propels you forward.

Don't run in short intervals; that won't do you much, especially in such short stints, when looking for more stamina. Instead, run longer distances, but ease off the pace, if you feel like you're running out of steam - just try to go the distance. For example start with 3 miles, 3 days a week. After a week or two try to increase your pace and maybe add a bit of distance, for example Day 1: 3 miles, easy pace, as before. Day 2: 3 miles, but add some pace, this time try to set a goal time. Day 3: 5 miles, easy pace.

Easy, light steps, concentrate on your body's fluid and natural movement, however don't try to force it. Many people tend to be very tense, especially with their shoulders, which may lead to muscle cramps. Your hands should flow in a natural way and you shouldn't need to force your hands along. Also don't try to take gazelle like leaps, like sprinters do - shorten your step, even a bit too much, so that you'll eventually find the right rhytmn and lenght. The less you do, the easier it is. It will take some time, but with a good posture and fluid, rolling steps you'll achieve a lot better results, which makes it easier to run more and improve your stamina.

Hmm....all this talk about running makes me want to go for a run myself...I shall do that.

I'm one of the people who keep a reasonable routine going. I just have a few sizes of dumb bells (25's and 45's) and I do all kinds of upper body stuff with them maybe 3 times a week for about 20 mins a time. From last year until this fall my job is basically a dirt lifter so I get plenty of exercise at work anyway.

I'm also trying to eat as much stuff as possible. I weighed 100lbs when I was 15 and I'm 19 now and I'm right around 112 lbs, I'm not really skinny I'm just short and lacking fat, lol

112....lbs ?? As in pounds ? That's 50,4 kg....unless you are really, REALLY short, or a girl, that's skinny, I mean really skinny....or ripped beyond belief. I'm 5ft 7"/172cm and around 150lbs/65kg and I am rather slim, though athletic by body type and very little body fat, but I mean that's still 15 kilos more than you ?!?

Last edited:
oh boy i love exercise!!!

up until i was 18 i used to pummel out 50,000m a week in the pool... swimming twice a day most days as well as gym sessions an land training.

since going to uni though i've had to cut back... just didnt have the time or the energy to keep that level up so i switched sports, kinda. after a small spell on the swim team i joined the speed lifesaving team. its still mainly swimming but you need lots of other skills to go along with it as its a multi-discipline sport. its just more fun and the level in this country isnt so high so I basically just rose to the top of the sport in this country very quickly.... we've been to european champs, world champs the lot!!! would never of got that far in swimming despite all the training!!

besides beach events, the pool events are nearly all to do with sprints and power so my meters came down and gym time went up!

havin a bit of a rest at the moment since we have had a supremely successful past year. but we were doing about 5 hours of pool time a week, averaging about 3000m per hour and lots of gym work.

typical swim sesh that i did the other day....

600m as 50 fc, 50 ch
4x50m IM on 1min

100m FC on 1.20
50 BK on 50
50 BR on 50
50 FLY on 50

REPEAT 6 times

6x200m as 50 kick, 100 swim, 50 pull on 3.10

some 25m sprints

some swim down.

we did about 3800m in an hour, which is good going.

for weight training... well did a number of things....

1) followed this Jason Lezak's weight training programme for sprint freestylers

if anyone follows swimming, you'll know lezak anchored the american 4x100m team at beijing and mopped the floor with frenchman alain bernard to the tune of 46.06 ... the fastest 100m split in history.

i followed that to the letter.... 3 times a week

2) inbetween days where i did that.... i did core work and i used this little document here which i've uploaded to megaupload. corestrengthforswimmers.pdf

also found these documents on nutrition helpful

what to eat and drink

also use the the US Masters Swimming forum to get training set ideas

hope people find these useful. i did.

Ooh. I'm just starting to swim again...I've nearly cut down to the weight I was before I started my full time job (I gained 4 kilos, and I've lost 3.5 at this stage). I used to swim 2.5km three times a week at school but I haven't swum for five years now, so I got in the pool a couple of weeks ago and swam 500m and was completely wrecked. My legs are still ok because I do other excercise but I've completely lost all my upper body strength. I've started doing weights again to strengthen my arms and shoulders and lots of core work to strengthen my abs and lower back. Also playing badminton just for fun but that's an ok workout too. My only problem at the moment is sciatica in my left leg...I'd had it treated and under control and it's been fine but in the last week it's flared up so badly it's getting hard to walk normal.

^ if u had a decent level of fitness (swim fitness that is) then it shouldnt be too long before it comes back to you.

Oh my it feels soooo good to hit the gym after a long break....okay, a week, but for me that is a long break. Man I love to exercise and get a good pump going.

And I'll tell you lot a great way to torture yourself, something I have been trying out lately.

Find the biggest, steepest hill you can manage. Steep being the keyword, doesn't have to be that high. I have a small local joke of a ski slope close to me. Elevation is about 65 meters and it's no longer than maybe 150-200 meters, but my god it is steep, something like 35-45 degrees. It's about 3,5km away where I live, so I run there, go up the otherside, which is not nearly as steep but over double the length and then just run up and down the steeper side of it, maybe 4-5 times in a row and then again 3,5km back home.

It's a pure strength exercise because of the steepness. If you want a great cardio workout, find a longer and much less agressive incline. I can tell you this stuff gets your calves burning like there is no tomorrow and you'll be gasping air in no time. It's painful, it's hard, you can't do it very long and it feels like torture....I love it !!

Ooh. I'm just starting to swim again...I've nearly cut down to the weight I was before I started my full time job (I gained 4 kilos, and I've lost 3.5 at this stage). I used to swim 2.5km three times a week at school but I haven't swum for five years now, so I got in the pool a couple of weeks ago and swam 500m and was completely wrecked. My legs are still ok because I do other excercise but I've completely lost all my upper body strength. I've started doing weights again to strengthen my arms and shoulders and lots of core work to strengthen my abs and lower back. Also playing badminton just for fun but that's an ok workout too. My only problem at the moment is sciatica in my left leg...I'd had it treated and under control and it's been fine but in the last week it's flared up so badly it's getting hard to walk normal.

if u want a good site for sets, drills and pointers on technique then i find these two sources very useful

1) the united states masters swimming forum.... google it

2)www.goswim.tv

that site is one i just found, its chock full of swim sets and tips/advice. theres also a plethora of videos highlighting and demonstrating drills, strokes and training tips and all sorts.... theres even videos featuring some top class swimmers like Jason Lezak...fastest 100m freestyle relay split in history belongs to him...46.06... RAPID!

Oh my it feels soooo good to hit the gym after a long break....okay, a week, but for me that is a long break. Man I love to exercise and get a good pump going.

And I'll tell you lot a great way to torture yourself, something I have been trying out lately.

Find the biggest, steepest hill you can manage. Steep being the keyword, doesn't have to be that high. I have a small local joke of a ski slope close to me. Elevation is about 65 meters and it's no longer than maybe 150-200 meters, but my god it is steep, something like 35-45 degrees. It's about 3,5km away where I live, so I run there, go up the otherside, which is not nearly as steep but over double the length and then just run up and down the steeper side of it, maybe 4-5 times in a row and then again 3,5km back home.

It's a pure strength exercise because of the steepness. If you want a great cardio workout, find a longer and much less agressive incline. I can tell you this stuff gets your calves burning like there is no tomorrow and you'll be gasping air in no time. It's painful, it's hard, you can't do it very long and it feels like torture....I love it !!

Yea hill sprints are pretty intense. When I used to run for fun I found that hill sprints helped me sprint normally since I was instinctively leaning forward.

I started hitting the gym again 2 weeks ago. Just 3 times a week, for a little over 2 miles running intervals (slow.fast.slow.fast). Also making use of my pull-up bar. I was doing some weight lifting for a few months, got some good results, took a break....but now I'm lacking the motivation to start that up again.

So in addition to the running i'm going to continue some light weight training. I picked up some Mucscle Milk (Protein plus). Question, for a few miles every other day and light training is it beneficial to take such a supplement?

Thanks for the links, otispunkmeyer :D Haven't had a chance to go for another swim yet, but I've been making sure to do lots of other stuff to build up CV fitness and upper body and core strength. I've started the couch-to-5k running program as well, I've never really been able to run even when I was swimming five days a week so fair to say I'm struggling but it is a super easy form of exercise to just chuck on the runners and head out the door. I think I may need new shoes though...mine are four (!) years old. oops.

Also my sciatica is back under control hooray :D I just have to stretch it lots and lots and make sure to move heaps.

So in addition to the running i'm going to continue some light weight training. I picked up some Mucscle Milk (Protein plus). Question, for a few miles every other day and light training is it beneficial to take such a supplement?

It surely isn't harmful to drink dietary supplements, such as protein drinks, while exercising, but with only light training and running added protein doesn't benefit much. Depending on what you want to achieve, maybe some sort of recovery drink would be more useful: something which has carbs, protein, amino acids, vitamins...the lot.

In order for the protein to be useful the muscletissue needs to be stressed and trained, your body won't be making very good use of the extra protein if it doesn't have to, especially if your diet otherwise is healthy and diverse, in the sense that you really don't need any extra supplements to gain your daily dose of protein, energy etc.

Protein is important for the body in other ways than building muscle too. So even if you are not doing any excersizing you should take 2g of protein per kg of body weight per day. Altough you should be getting enough protein from eating regular food unless you are on a very strict diet or do very high intensity excersizing.

Like Bro. Michael said protein alone won't build up muscles so taking too much protein doesn't really help. Also you should note that using protein supplements in excess instead of eating proper foods can cause pooping problems amongst other things.

In conclusion you should first check your diet that if you are getting enough protein. If you are not getting enough protein from your regular food, try to change it. If you still are not getting enough protein, start taking protein supplements.