The Physical Conditioning -thread

LP, you use a road bike?

Well I'm sittin' here waitin' for LP, Chels and the rest. The rest of you just ignore me. *drums fingers on the desk*

Hey, buddy.:wave:

Sooooo the gf came up with the idea of the two of us training to run a half-marathon. Keep in mind that in HS I ran the 100 because that was the longest I could run without falling over out of breath. I can barely (if at all) jog a single lap around the track (400m). A half-marathon is about 52 laps... This should be interesting.

Just wondering - What do people here tend to do for upper-body strength? (Deltoids, tricepts, etc).

I trained for my first marathon all last summer, mostly just by running a lot. And then, when that didn't feel like quite enough, running even more.

Now I'm about fifty days away from my second marathon and I'm taking a more balanced approach to the training. I've been adding more strength training and core exercise in addition to the running. In part because the weather this time of year makes it hard to just run a lot, and also because I'm focused more on performance and not just completing the race this time around.

I'm finding that my abject neglect of upper body workouts really shows. Running 20 miles is no big deal but 20 pushups just about kills me. So I guess it's good to be working on that aspect of my fitness. I hope it all pays off in February.

Erm, I joined a gym yesterday.

125kg (275 lbs). ?_?

Legs are sore from the workout.

My brother recently bought a road bike. Today we did a tour together for the first time ever. And he utterly destroyed me. I really need to get on my bike more often... :(

Hello FG, been a while since I've been around.

Anyway a while back I encated a diet plan as I really needed to lose weight, so I cut down muy intake overall and cut back on the bread. So far so good, when I started the weight loss plan I was around 270lbs, now 3 months later I at 245lbs.

Also good news managed to secure some cheap gym sessions, 12 weeks worth at ?48.75, I start next week. My goal is to get to around 210lbs, which I close to what I was a few years ago. I'm feeling good given what I've done so far just through diet alterations. :D

Calling altoid:

:lol:

Those broscience videos are both awesome and absolutely awful at the same time :D

Anyway, on topic, yesterday I finally achieved a goal I've had for a few months of managing a one arm chin up. Thought to myself "fuck it, I've trained quite a bit", and it was actually surprisingly easy apart from the last 5-10 cm's. 5 Minutes of rest and I tried it with my left arm, and managed one with that aswell! :D

I've been trying to get my back more in check due to worsening scoliosis symptoms, and doing pull ups and other back exercises has lessened my daily back/shoulder pains by a significant amount (started working on it in September) and this is a nice additional achievement to go with less day-to-day pain :) Currently I can do 20-25 consecutive pull ups, planning on experimenting more with adding weight in the coming weeks. (done +15 kg sets so far)