The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

Not just today, but this weekend. Holy balls, this weekend.

Saturday was a race for a local endurance series and it was peeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect track weather. It was overcast all morning, then sunny, and never really super hot. Plus, the wildflowers are starting to come out. Hell yes, racing is more awesome when there's bluebonnets at T4.

The car only sort of broke (the two front brake rotors cracked), but it finished and our whole last-minute team had a blast.

Sunday was windy and cold, but eh. Still a good day to be lazy.

Last edited:
Was fiddling with Facebook at work today and when I clicked on the "Check in" feature...I noticed that Facebook has labeled my place of employment:

"Satans Butthole." :p

I shit you not. No pun intended....

Speaking of employment, tomorrow will be exactly a week since I lost mine, and today I walked in for an interview and walked out with a new job that I start tomorrow.

like_a_boss.jpg

Midterm in a very hard class over and it went better than I expected.

I'm probably the last person anyone would expect to post in this particular thread, but, hey, today was a good day.

This requires some mild explanation. I was adopted at birth. I was told I was adopted when I was five years old. I've been wondering about the genetic donors to my existence for 43 years. In 2011, Illinois changed its laws to allow adoptees to obtain copies of original birth certificates. I've had mine for about a year now. This told me my mother's name and approximate year of birth, but nothing else (no, no father's name was listed, which means one of three things: she didn't know and was therefore a slut, he didn't want to admit paternity and was therefore an asshole, or I'm the product of something that, according to one work of literature, hasn't happened for about two thousand years).

Obtaining that birth certificate gave me the impetus to give money to Mormons and open an Ancestry account. Since then, I've been whiling away a bit of free time being really anal about my adopted family. Well, I decided to try out their search engine on my birth mother's last name. Up popped a candidate for my maternal grandfather. One of the links there was an obituary in a Chicago paper. Since I was in town today, I decided to pop down to the library to go through the microfiche.

I found the obituary. The first line was, "Y Chromosome Contributor Last Name, loving father of XX Chromosome First Name..." XX Chromosome First Name was a match for that on my birth certificate. It's not a set of common names we're dealing with, and the ages make logical sense. After a quick walk to the Cook County building, I had Y Chromosome Contributor's death certificate.

Before today, I knew I had a mother, and that was it. Today, I have a mother, a grandfather, an uncle (married to an aunt), a group of four people who are either cousins or half-siblings, a great-grandmother, and two great-aunts. I know their names. Google or Ancestry can tell me more. And Genetic Grandpa is buried in the same cemetery as pretty much every side of my adopted family.

I still have work to do. But if you've lived with the void I've lived with for as long as I have...I'm still a little light-headed.

Last edited:
I'm probably the last person anyone would expect to post in this particular thread, but, hey, today was a good day.

This requires some mild explanation. I was adopted at birth. I was told I was adopted when I was five years old. I've been wondering about the genetic donors to my existence for 43 years. In 2011, Illinois changed its laws to allow adoptees to obtain copies of original birth certificates. I've had mine for about a year now. This told me my mother's name and approximate year of birth, but nothing else (no, no father's name was listed, which means one of three things: she didn't know and was therefore a slut, he didn't want to admit paternity and was therefore an asshole, or I'm the product of something that, according to one work of literature, hasn't happened for about two thousand years).

Obtaining that birth certificate gave me the impetus to give money to Mormons and open an Ancestry account. Since then, I've been whiling away a bit of free time being really anal about my adopted family. Well, I decided to try out their search engine on my birth mother's last name. Up popped a candidate for my maternal grandfather. One of the links there was an obituary in a Chicago paper. Since I was in town today, I decided to pop down to the library to go through the microfiche.

I found the obituary. The first line was, "Y Chromosome Contributor Last Name, loving father of XX Chromosome First Name..." XX Chromosome First Name was a match for that on my birth certificate. It's not a set of common names we're dealing with, and the ages make logical sense. After a quick walk to the Cook County building, I had Y Chromosome Contributor's death certificate.

Before today, I knew I had a mother, and that was it. Today, I have a mother, a grandfather, an uncle (married to an aunt), a group of four people who are either cousins or half-siblings, a great-grandmother, and two great-aunts. I know their names. Google or Ancestry can tell me more. And Genetic Grandpa is buried in the same cemetery as pretty much every side of my adopted family.

I still have work to do. But if you've lived with the void I've lived with for as long as I have...I'm still a little light-headed.

So...

Are you the second coming of Jesus or not?

:p

So...

Are you the second coming of Jesus or not?

:p

Unless the Virgin Mary and Joseph lived south of Joliet, Illinois, unfortunately, no. But that won't stop me thinking that I am.

Besides, it's still debatable on whether or not Jesus had half-brothers and half-sisters thanks to those ambiguous Bible passages. I, on the other hand, definitely have two half-brothers*. I may not be Jesus under all conditions, but I do a damn good imitation of him when it comes to Google searches.

* - I don't have a father's name listed on my birth certificate, but it did say the father was 21. The man my mother married would have been 22 at the time of my birth, 21 at the time of conception. There is thus a possibility that my half-brothers are actually full brothers.

Last edited:
Today was a good day because an electronics circuit that I got soldered finally worked after much debugging \o/ It's for a university project where we create a car thing that follows a track.

My groups test car (using bread boards) does a lap in 11 sec atm. Hopefully it'll improve even more... ^_^

Video to illustrate what we are creating:

Last edited:
Unless the Virgin Mary and Joseph lived south of Joliet, Illinois, unfortunately, no. But that won't stop me thinking that I am.

Besides, it's still debatable on whether or not Jesus had half-brothers and half-sisters thanks to those ambiguous Bible passages. I, on the other hand, definitely have two half-brothers*. I may not be Jesus under all conditions, but I do a damn good imitation of him when it comes to Google searches.

* - I don't have a father's name listed on my birth certificate, but it did say the father was 21. The man my mother married would have been 22 at the time of my birth, 21 at the time of conception. There is thus a possibility that my half-brothers are actually full brothers.

Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel - I found my birth mother back in January of 2009, after a law releasing original birth certificates for adult adoptees was enacted. I have two half-sisters and two half-brothers, all younger than I am. I went from being the youngest in a adoptive family where I never felt like I fit in to being the oldest in a family where I feel at home. (My mom and my brothers and I are all a lot alike.) I have found my birth father as well, but he doesn't seem to want any contact. Not surprising, as he offered to pay for my mom's abortion when she was pregnant with me, but a bit disappointing nonetheless. It turns out I am his only child, so I hope he'll come to his senses soon and at least leave me his '64 Corvette in his will, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.

I have been researching my father's family history on familysearch.org (It has the same info as Ancestry.com, only it's free.) and it's pretty interesting, but I don't want to bore anybody with the details.

Oh, and my birth certificate listed no information about my father, either - not even an age.

[video=youtube;wP-uxfmD6dc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP-uxfmD6dc[/video]

This should be in here, "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed & others, a BBC promo film from the 90's.

(They just showed a David Bowie doc on TV, which had the Lou Reed version. Bowie is also in the YT film.)

:smile:

PS Bet you're all signing by the end. :p

Today's a great day because its my first day off work in ages, I woke up to find my kitten snuggled up close to me under the duvet and spent the morning watching Ben 10. Then finally got to play Bioshock Infinite.

Then of course there's the matter of a certain time lord who returns tonight. I'm in way too much of a good mood today.

Dr Who was on and I got drunk. :cheers:

I plan on applying for a job that I found pretty much on a whim: "You know..you should see what school districts are offering?"

http://www.applitrack.com/chambersburg/onlineapp/1BrowseFile.aspx?id=13574

I can do every requirement on that list, no fudging required. I have met their minimum experience requirement + since Chambersburg is 10 minutes away they'll know about my major and what it brings to the table in terms of building my skillset.

Bring. It. On.

I'm psyched, pumped and energized. I may be able to do my move sooner than I thought....

Good Luck :thumbup:

I bought the hat I've been wanting :p

*Looks at location*

So, does 95% of all Pennsylvania's towns end in "burg?"

Yes. :p

Eh it is kind of excessive....

I went to a steak/grill/pub type place, the surf and turf they served me had 7 scampi instead of the menus stated 8... I stole 12 packets of sauce from those motherfuckers.

tumblr_lofeatzchF1qjqgqko1_500.gif